HBO GO, Comcast Xfinity and MLB.TV apps now available on Xbox Live

By on March 27, 2012, 2:30 PM

A new update for Xbox Live is being pushed out today that includes on-demand apps for Comcast Xfinity, HBO GO and MLB.TV, bringing the total number of Live apps to 36. The latest additions are compatible with Microsoft’s Kinect motion-sensing device for gesture and voice control.

What initially launched as a pure gaming console for Microsoft is quickly turning into an overall entertainment hub for the entire family. PC Mag notes that entertainment usage has actually surpassed multiplayer game usage on the Xbox for the first time. Since the launch of entertainment apps, the number of hours spent on the service has increased 30 percent year to year. Microsoft says that Gold members in the US log an average of 84 hours on Xbox Live every month. Microsoft has over 40 million Gold subscribers spanning the globe.

The HBO Go app will include more than 1,300 titles including every episode of every season of HBO hit shows such as Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire and True Blood. MLB.TV will feature live streaming of every out-of-market regular season game as well as access to all available spring training games. The archive will include all games from the 2011 season with 2012 games being added as they are played.

As with other on-demand content apps for Xbox Live and other devices, you will need to subscribe to each service if you don’t already. Comcast has said that those who subscribe to Xfinity for Live won’t be subject to the company’s 240GB monthly data cap.

soldier1969 soldier1969 said:

Crapbox live lol, I remember when i was 12.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Hopefully they'll expand the offerings for us non us customers.

ikesmasher said:

soldier1969 said:

Crapbox live lol, I remember when i was 12.

lol thats so mature dude lolololz.

Sevrin said:

So what.. They've been saying for almost 5 years that they will add support for my country. Not even now there is no support.. They sell it here but in order to use it I have to lie about what country I live in.. that's just simply stupid..

Emexrulsier said:

Im in the UK and more than happy with the video apps available. Got full access to my Netflix, Lovefilm and if I wanted iplayer, 5ondemand, 4ondemand and msn video.

When I heard from co-workers at DISH that I could watch every single show that HBO has ever created in HD through my console, I rushed home to see if they were right. I thankfully subscribe to HBO through DISH so HBO GO is available to me on my XBOX at no extra charge. The streaming is quick, clear and the selection of titles is nothing less than amazing.