Evidence of Source 2, Half-Life 3 found in Source Filmmaker SDK

By on August 6, 2012, 6:30 PM

Observant developers over at ValveTime have made some interesting discoveries which suggest Valve is working on Source 2, the next version of its almost decade-old game engine. The Source engine powers a number of titles like Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, but it is utilized most notably by Valve properties such as Portal, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead and Half-life 2.

Evidence to support Source 2 comes from Valve's very own Source Filmmaker, a free WYSIWYG movie-making tool that allows users to create videos using the same models, physics, textures and sounds found within the game engine.

A comment found in one one of SFM's python files provides the most certain evidence of Source 2's existence yet seen:

Return an str with the current engine version.
If key doesn't doesn't exist, assume 'Source', otherwise invalid -- assume next-gen 'Source 2'.

Source: Line 1387, pastebin.com

The file which contained this juicy tidbit, vproj.py, can be found in SFM's SDK tools, "../SourceFilmmaker/game/sdktools/python/global/lib/site-packages/vproj/vproj.py". Alternatively, readers may view a copy of it on Pastebin here

This also follows yesterday's discovery by a developer who stumbled across a line of this conscpicuously suggestive code. It was contained within a separate file of the SFM SDK as well:

Line 49:
returns a Path instance representing the %VCONTENT% path - path construction this way is super easy:
somePropPath = content() / 'ep3/models/characters/alyx/maya/alyx_model.ma'

Line 76:
_TOOLS = None
def tools( engine='Source 2' ):

Source: valvetime.net

Aside from the mention of "Source 2" in the above snippet of code, the inclusion of "ep3" and "Alyx" in a single line is of particular interest. Some believe it is evidence of Half-Life 3 -- a new, third episode of the franchise. "Alyx" likely refers to Alyx Vance, an NPC in Half-Life 2 who is portrayed as a close friend of Gordon Freeman, the primary protagonist.

The last suggestion we have of Source 2 may be from Valve itself. "We don’t like to brag, but Source is considered the most flexible, comprehensive, and powerful game development environment out there. And it’s about to get even better."

yorro said:

HL3 will have a new engine, same as the HL2.

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

Omg...I just came.

Amazing, been waiting for a new Source engine in forever!

ikesmasher said:

the first one is good enough, lol. DEM PHYSICS.

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

"This is the song that never ends.Yes, it goes on and on my friends.

Some people started singing it not knowing what it was,And they'll continue singing it forever just because...This is the song that never ends."

Seriously...every time something like this gets posted I get really excited for about 2 days and then, just like always, nothing happens.

ramonsterns said:

Okay, so I make a Father Grigori impersonation and it gets deleted.

Comment moderator seems trigger happy.

Timonius Timonius said:

Valve's newest game: It's already finished but it's buried in our 'source' code as the worlds greatest egg. The first to find the complete game inherits the company. Ready player one

m4a4 m4a4 said:

Okay, so I make a Father Grigori impersonation and it gets deleted.

Comment moderator seems trigger happy.

Now I wanna see it -_-

Anyways, I wonder how this will turn out...

mailpup mailpup said:

Okay, so I make a Father Grigori impersonation and it gets deleted.
Your comment was deleted for shouting - all caps. As simple as that.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Omg...I just came.

DanUK DanUK said:

Mmmmm would be nice to get the next installment of the half life story, only been waiting about 5 years or so... I thought the idea of their episodic releases was that you didn't have to wait: "rather than force fans to wait another six years for a full sequel, Valve Corporation would release the game in episodic installments" ...

I guess at least we must be getting very close now! I hope..

Stupido Stupido said:

e getting very close now! I hope..

I hope too...

ramonsterns said:

Okay, so I make a Father Grigori impersonation and it gets deleted.
Your comment was deleted for shouting - all caps. As simple as that.

Last time I checked I was in Techspot, not the EA forums.