Windows 8 blocks users from hiding Metro Start Screen after logon

By on August 6, 2012, 3:38 PM

With the announcement of Windows 8 reaching its RTM milestone, the final and polished version of the OS has been finding its way to various unauthorized channels of distribution. According to individuals who have managed to procure Microsoft's "latest and greatest" Windows, there have been a handful of changes since its public Release Preview.

It appears the most contentious tweak Microsoft has made since the Release Preview is disabling the ability of users to bypass the Metro Start Screen after boot. The default behavior of Windows 8 has always been to greet users with the Metro Start Screen after logon, but the Start Screen could be bypassed, allowing users to see their classic desktop instead. Early adopters report that this is no longer possible, according to ZDNet.

The method used to bypass the Metro Start Screen after boot has been to effectively create a "Show Desktop" shortcut and place it inside a program loading point like the "Startup" folder. It's unclear from this report exactly how Microsoft may be blocking this method, but it is conceivable that Microsoft has programmatically disabled the "Show Desktop" shell command from the typical executing from the Startup folder, task scheduler and registry loading points.

Hopes for a group object policy to control this startup behavior also appear to be dashed, according to ZDNet's sources. This is particularly troublesome for system admins who were hoping to easily mitigate user confusion by disabling the Start Screen via a simple GPO. And according to TechRepublic, there are quite a few businesses out there who will be disappointed.

TechRepublic released today its results from a survey which polled more than 3,000 of its readers whether or not their business would upgrade to Windows 8 and why.

Amongst the top reasons cited for avoiding Windows 8 included the usual suspects: need for retraining, OS fragmentation and hardware concerns. Interestingly though, the missing Start Menu and "Desktop Abandonment" were also top issues. These of course are novel concerns specific to the direction Windows 8 is taking the dominant franchise.

As for why users should upgrade, those polled liked that Windows 8 brings a more consistent experience across different devices, Push Button Reset, the ability to run directly from a USB drive and offers much faster boot times.

Windows 8 is expected to hit shelves October 26, 2012.

Wow. Microsoft keeps coming up with reasons for the enterprise world to bypass 8.

ikesmasher said:

Microsoft is seriously amazing me with stupidity. Spend 2 weeks or so making a decent start menu and let people choose between them or use both.. and that eliminates the need for extra corporate training AND makes the home consumers happier.

wastedkill said:

Microsoft should just rename windows 8 to Windows Tablet/phone as its looking like Microsoft want to loose out on the PC market and just destroy the company's future which I am all up for so keep destroying your company

treeski treeski said:

I don't think the cons list really provides many reasons. The "lack of a start menu" thing can really be shoved into "need for massive training". "Desktop abandonment" isn't really valid... the OS works just as well on desktops. Desktops just aren't the primary focus. "Hardware outlay" is bogus too. It's an optional addition to the OS, and doesn't remove previous functionality. I do agree with the AD and massive retraining issues.

Staff
Jesse Jesse said:

I totally agree with this. Is it that big of a deal for them to at least make it available? Why not allow people who want it the ability to use it, that way you don't alienate users.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Why? Man, Windows was great because of its versatility. If MS does lock it down, sigh, its going to suck.

I've seen some bitching modifications to various versions of Windows, so programmers can delve deep and change stuff around, but I'd rather not resort to going back to pirating Windows so that I can restore some basic functions that I've become used to over the last, geez, 17 years.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Still can't believe Microsoft hasn't caught on and put the start menu back. It's a really bad decision no matter how you look at it, and now they force you to look at the Moronic UI. Besides having an 8 second boot process, in my testing in was no where near this, and bootable off a USB key, which you can make 7 do as is. Choice, the fundamental building block to any consumer product, remove that and your product will bomb. Just like I hope to see happen to Windows 8.

Microsoft is smart. Take Windows 7 with SP1, make as many improvements as a SP2 would include, then make some changes to be tablet friendly, and call it Windows 8, cost of development 126 dollars and 52 cents. They're not stupid, they're geniuses. Too bad the experience of Windows 8 on a desktop really blows.

Microsoft is becoming like apple I am starting to hate them for that just like I hate apple.

For people that do not have a touch screen is pointless to have that metro style menu,.. I will propose in my company to migrate to linux ubuntu,..

Tanstar said:

So a major complaint was you had to use Metro, but there was a simple fix; so Microsoft's answer was to remove the fix? Sounds like they're learning from Apple now :P

""Desktop abandonment" isn't really valid... the OS works just as well on desktops. Desktops just aren't the primary focus."

They are marketing it as a desktop OS. If desktops aren't the primary focus of an OS, then they have no business calling it a desktop OS. But anyway, at least we can take comfort in the fact that Microsoft is following their pattern of hit and miss. Windows 7 was definitely successful, so naturally Windows 8 was doomed to fail even before it got started.

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

And people thought (including myself), Microsoft learned their lesson when listening to consumers during Windows 7 beta period. They seem to be listening today but not to consumer desires.

I will not be purchasing Windows 8 or a machine that has Windows 8 on it.

If Microsoft wants to sell an OS, they will have to prove it by listening to those who will be using the OS. Forcing change instead of encouraging change is not a good business decision.

p51d007 said:

As someone who works around computers and computer users daily, abandoning the traditional desktop for this, is another reason I think I.T. people will be passing on this for a while. Most corporate office drones can barely figure out a left click from a right click, let alone navigate moving icons around on a desktop, and, if you move something on a desktop, it causes panic among users. Now you are going to saddle them with these silly icons, without a touch interface?

Oh, yeah right....I.T. guys are going to tell the CFO's to pony up the money for thousands of new screens....let me know how that works out.

The Apple comments are funny. Apple's OS X now provides 6 built-in easy ways to get at your apps and files: The Dock, Spotlight, LaunchPad, Finder, Stacks and ShortCut keys. Over the years Apple has only continued to add great functionality and not punish users with stupid decisions like Microsoft does. Oh yeah, OS X is NOT copy protected at all (read NO windows activation nonesense) and includes only the professional version for the grand price of 20$. Also, software updates on the Mac are painless and they don't try to force it on you like Microsoft feels the need to.

Seriously, OS X runs like a happy lucid dream and doesn't require bogging down the system with $$ AV, Malware and Firewall protection.

It's easy to see why Windows users hate Apple. They feel "stuck" with Windows and are full of envy.

Try it Mikey. In the long run you will save yourself lots of aggravation, downtime and money. Check out the resale value of Macs on eBay - there are reasons they fetch a premium. Most Windows machines are landfill after their short life.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

They feel "stuck" with Windows and are full of envy.
Wrong, try again. I realize it must be hard for you to believe, but there is absolutely no envy on my part. I am very happy with Windows 7, I only wish I could say the same for Windows 8.

Most Windows machines are landfill after their short life.
A machine's short life has nothing to do with inadequacies of an OS. Throwing a machine to landfill because of software related issues is stupidity at best.

Guest said: '

They feel "stuck" with Windows and are full of envy.

Maybe by "stuck" guest means that you have to wait so many years before Microsoft releases another version of Windows worth upgrading to. XP (2001) -> Windows 7 (2009) -> Windows 9 (?2014). And by 2014 it's pretty likely the hardware will have gone to pasture at least once.

What I find really amazing is that no one seems to be talking about the hardware requirements for windows 8. Has anyone noticed that it requires a touch screen monitor that has five finger touch response? Most monitors out there right now our Windows 7 aka two finger touch response. And what about afordability? Sure the OS can be had for $39.99 but that monitor won't be under a $100. Who can aford that upgrade?

I don't get why Windows 8 doesn't just give you the option when installing.

1. I am installing Windows 8 on a touch capable computer.

2. I am installing Windows 8 on a non touch capable computer.

Instead of...

1. Do what I say and no one gets hurt... except for your productivity... that's getting murdered.

didnt the rc version have that registry tweak to show classic desktop, couldnt someone just port it over? agreed with above too! give users the option!!!

Sphynx Sphynx said:

I will propose in my company to migrate to linux ubuntu,..

Same here, except my company has refused to accept my proposal and will migrate to Windows 7 instead. Why? Because none of the software we use is native to Linux and using Wine severely diminishes the performance any software that we use. And the Linux alternatives are a joke compared to the quality of their Windows counterparts, especially the proprietary ones. Not to mention our Canon printer is not compatible with Linux.

With that said, I would not be surprised if your company will reject your proposal for the same reasons stated above.

CryVer CryVer said:

Easy way to get your files? My experience with OSX (and friends familiar with it), is that it is a pain in the ass to view all files, as there are no real file explorer. OSX users need a seperate Android file explorer to view the files on their Android. On the other hand Windows have a real file explorer (Windows Explorer).

I believe that Microsoft is making a mistake by forcing changes that users have not been requesting and not offering choices, this is why many people still use XP (after the Vista issues). I found Windows 7 is a really good upgrade as Microsoft corrected the mistakes they made with Vista and listened to what users want. Now they are making the same errors with Windows 8 that they did with Vista.

On the business side of things, I think we will be sticking with Windows 7 for quite some time, some of our clients have just completed upgrades of Windows 7 within the past year and I don't see them jumping to Windows 8. On the home front, I'm moving to Linux (Ubuntu). Hopefully with Steam releasing games on Linux, the Linux ecosystem will continue to grow and hardware vendors will work more closely with Linux.

VitalyT VitalyT said:

There, they lost it. 'nough said.

1 person liked this | Zilpha Zilpha said:

Are these guys hanging out with the guys from Canonical? This is the same thing that Ubuntu did with their new Unity interface - a new method that wasn't in any way configurable and something no one asked for.

This was a stupid move on Microsoft's part. Why on earth do they think this is a good idea? There's no way that a move like this will increase sales\adoption of the platform, especially with Windows 7 being such a great OS.

wiyosaya said:

Personally, I think that M$ is counting on the low cost of the upgrade to "snooker" people who don't know any better (though there will be people who adopt because they like the new UI) into buying the OS. Even at $40, I highly doubt I'll upgrade anytime soon.

The other tact that M$ might be trying to take advantage of is that if they can get a large share of existing desktop users to upgrade with the low price, this would spell certain death for the start menu and previous ways of interacting with the OS in favor of the Windows 8 way. It will be interesting to see what way this goes, however, I am betting that 8 will be at least as much of a flop as Vista, and perhaps as much or worse than Me.

I've been reading that M$ wants to merge the mobile OS with the desktop OS so that developers can write one program that runs on any device, however, past attempts at this have been nowhere near successful. If they do succeed in making this happen, then developers will be happy, however, I am willing to bet that the vast majority of desktop users will not since the human-computer interface for 8 on desktops is so drastically different.

All I have to say is good luck M$; however, I doubt I'll switch again until at least 9 or 10.

1 person liked this | Chris Just Chris Just said:

I was running windows 8 all last week and will be telling my clients to stick to Win 7. I will only be moving my some of older clients that I think might make a good fit with windows 8 and the simplicity of Metro. Microsoft has not been on the ball with Win 8 installer even if they want you to believe they are! Making a OS made for tablets with touch screens the 100% default for a OS that will be for all devices is a big mistake! Touch screen PCs will never catch on in the home, I have a 32" Touch Screen Monitor and I almost never use the touch features who wants fingerprints on the screen they read on I, watch most of there media on and game on? Then to reach the top of the screen 24 hours a day is a real workout even if it is only a 22" screen and lets not even go in to kids and touch screen that was a disaster! My point is we all use PCs different Microsoft, allow us to make the changes we want like you have done to all your other OSs before or even people like me will stick to Windows 7. I will never be switching my office over to windows 8 witch is set up for social media and not work.

Chris Just Chris Just said:

Sorry for the Type-Os been up all night working on a new project and trying to stay awake tell I go to sleep tonight.

Where did you get this? OSX has the Finder (the Mac equivalent to Explorer), and the search function and spotlight work much better and faster than built in search in Windows which feels like it's been broken since XP.

Most of the arguments here against Apple and their 'locked down' attitude really only appy to iOS (iPhones/iPad/iPod) and the hardware restrictions of Macs. OSX on the other hand is a very open OS. And now that Microsoft has practically knocked itself out of the OS race with this garbage version of Windows, OSX stands like a shining beacon of exellence in comparison.

I'm a huge Windows 7 fan- but Windows 8 is just rotten. Metro is one of the worst ideas in desktop computng since Microsoft's BoB. It feels just about as childish and insulting to the user's intelligence as well.

Talk crap about OSX if it's vs. a real OS like Windows 7, but now with 8, sorry, PC users don't really have much valid smack-talking to do while using W8 PlaySkool CandyAss Edition.

sapo joe said:

Agreed. But they didn't need to do this to make me skip Win8. Ditching the user's appeals on the start menu maintenance was enough for me!

Chris Just Chris Just said:

I will not be purchasing Windows 8 or a machine that has Windows 8 on it.

I know windows 7 they had us telling them what we wanted and built a great upgrade to there mistake Vista now there making the same mistakes as before and not listening to anything we the clients or the tech world is saying.

Hawthe Hawthe said:

Why all the bickering.. so don't buy it/recommend it. Win8 looks like a casual persons OS to provide familiarity for people who have the OS on a phone/tablet. I don't see Microsoft forcing this on anyone. I am getting a laptop and will drop the 14.99 for the Win8 update for the heck of it.... if it truly sucks Ill go back to Win7. Most of my rigs at home are still on WinXP.

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

Touch capabilites, other then special cases, will NEVER take over a keyboard and mouse.

We have tried it and went back in several departments with state of the art equipment for med scans, bar code readers and dialysis. Touchscreen interfaces are the future for certain devices, not work enviroments trying to run a mix of old software, new software, old devices, new devices and a broad mix of users, permissions and other settings.

There are enough problems getting users to use Outlook/thier workstations properly with basic programs, teaching them Windows 8 is totally out of the question.

Microsoft has seriously lost the plot: they are so busy catching up wth or trying to outdo the competition, they've lost sight of their own products' highlights, and as a result, said products are deteriorating in terms of quality. Starting with Vista, the user experience started going downhill; with Windows 7, they took care of some of that but then left some very essential elements suffering, and have failed to address these to this very day. Now instead of improving on those problems and perfecting Windows 7 they simply move on to Windows 8 (anyone ever encounter an entire corporation with ADHD? Me neither), which apparently is a beast of a completely different nature and approach....seriously, who is running this show? Because this is some of the most pathetic misguidance I've ever encountered in a business! It's almost as if they WANT Apple to take over as the leaders in the PC industry. Tell you what, though, I won't be dishing out any more money for a Microsoft product; my dollars from now on go to those companies that actually care about their customer base and show it.

TJGeezer said:

I haven't seen a company so determined to shoot itself in the foot since Borland changed its name to Inprise, which nobody could remember, and threw away a whole lot of solid brand name recognition they might have built something on. Eventually they quietly went back to Borland, oops. Maybe MS will quietly restore user choice once all the snarking, mockery and rejection have satisfied their need to hurt themselves.

I switched from Ubuntu to Mint on my Win7/Linux dual boot because it restored my ability to choose for myself how to interact with the Linux OS. Of course, most private PC users seem to accept whatever the big brands sell to them. Maybe that's what MS is counting on. The new OS certainly doesn't seem targeted for the enterprise.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'd be willing to bet Windows 8 is an educated attempt at pushing people to upgrade their machines to at least Windows 7. The thought of loosing anything even remotely resembling Windows 95/NT4/98/2K/ME/XP/2K3/Vista/2K8/7/2K8R2, will drive the rest of the market into making an upgrade now instead of later. The only way to place fear of loss within everyone, is to completely lock out the old Windows look and feel. A loss that will be inevitable as soon as Windows 7 leaves the market, so upgrade now before you loose your chance.

Zen Zen, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Wow, I'm not stepping in here so much as to offer an opinion about Windows 8, but rather comment on many various Windows Vista hate mongering statements I've seen! At present, I'm a die hard and loyal and unashamed Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit) user. Personally speaking, I feel that all the hate mongering in regards to Vista is unwarranted! I know I might catch crap about my feelings, but to me, I personally feel that Vista Ultimate (64-bit) is the greatest operating system I've ever used. Trust me, I am a previous Windows XP user, I used that O.S. for quite some time and loved it, but when Vista Ultimate came out and I decided a long while back to run with it, I've been totally satisfied since. I just think that the Vista hate mongering is simply due to peoples lack of understanding of Vista. I personally feel that people who hate talk about Vista are probably most likely to have not given it fair chance to prove itself as a viable operating system. I think most Vista haters more than likely didn't even try it for themselves, and more so went along with public opinion, rather than personal opinion, and made their decision about it that way. I'll admit I had my bouts of "second guessing" myself when first using Vista, but after service pack #1 things got better! And after service pack #2, things got rock solid! I personally don't feel that the majority of people who bash talk about Vista, who may indeed have been prior Vista users, ever waited around for Microsoft to fix the problems, they just had some bad experiences before the fixes became available and jumped ship, all the while thinking that they knew everything about it!

Preconceived notions and pre-fix experiences have lead to the mongering demise of Vista, not any opinions that it wasn't a viable operating system!

I'll shut up now, as to get this area back on topic in regards to Windows 8 conversations!

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

They don't have to though. Implement 'mouse gestures' so your pointer works like a finger and click and hold works like actually touching the screen. I've only used Win 8 CP (because RP wouldn't upgrade the CP and I had CP set up the way I liked), so maybe they fixed this and I haven't realized it yet. But in 8 CP you could not click and drag to navigate the Metro interface like you could iOS or Android.

Thats the thing. XP wasn't any good initially either. But instead of UAC popups like in Vista, it just would bsod all the time because of horrible drivers. Something 'broke' in XP's RTM release that made nvidia drivers in particular go into the nv4disp.dll? infinite loop bluescreen. I'm not sure that ever got fixed, and we just grew out of it with newer cards eventually. Prior to the RTM there were no problems (I, as well as many of my friends were running early builds of XP in those days) and none had problems with nvidia cards until the RTM. Anyway, I got off on a bit of a tangent there... XP was crap when it came out, it got better, people eventually came over to it because MS didn't release an alternative and 2k (until about SP4, and even then maybe not..?) wouldn't run 9x games when XP would.

ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

While I'm very happy with Windows 8 (once you figure out the UI, its way more functional than Win7), and I'm considering one of the touch enabled laptops; I still think they should've gave users a choice. Literally all of the hate I've seen on Windows 8 has been for the start menu and Metro UI in general. If they had an alternative (nothing fancy, just a standard start button), I'm sure most people would chill out and enjoy the new features.

I'd imagine after some time though, even if they don't give users a choice (bad microsoft!), people will still learn the UI given enough time. Then after some people successfully do it, more will. The only question is how much of the OS market share will they be losing to Apple in the process? I think some, but not nearly enough to send microsoft into bankruptcy, like some people are saying. Plus they'll be gaining some customers (well at least one).

@Zilpha

Canonical isn't as bad as microsoft here though. At least you can still change it however you want in Ubuntu.

P.S. - Cinnamon on Ubuntu is pretty sick, but a little laggy compared to mint.

Zilpha Zilpha said:

@Zilpha

P.S. - Cinnamon on Ubuntu is pretty sick, but a little laggy compared to mint.

Are you sure about that? Perhaps they have changed it recently, but as of my last run through with Ubuntu we were not able to put the launcher bar whereever we wanted in the Unity interface, and we were not able to revert back to a Gnome gui (I understand this has been corrected but still isn't stable). A developer stated that because devices are all wide screen now, they felt the best place for the launcher was at the left side and it was our job to get used to it, not their job to allow us to put it where we were most comfortable with it. It took extreme hacks and even then it was unstable to move that launcher bar anywhere else, and that's the sort of thing I am talking about. That's essentially what M$ just did to us.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Not if it still looks like this and there is no way to customize to be more appealing.

If the squares where translucent and not color coded, I would consider using Start Screen, only if the Start Screen used the desktop background image. I see absolutely no reason why the Start Screen UI cannot be overlaid on top of desktop. What is with this desire to toggle between the two. You say there is more functionality in Windows 8, I would tend to disagree, at least till more apps are designed for use in Windows 8. Who am I to argue though, I've not touched Windows 8 (pun intended), I can't seem to get past how ugly the Start Screen is.

ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

You might be right, I don't think you can change it by default. I used ubuntu tweak to change stuff with unity and eventually downloaded the cinnamon desktop to replace unity entirely. I know you can use Gnome too, but I haven't tried it.

I was talking about stuff for power users. They drastically improved pretty much all of their built in programs (things like the backup system, task manager, and system restore)

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm talking about the reluctance in giving those enhancements a try because of the Crayola Start Screen.

ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

Simplicity is bliss

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

Companies will just have to buy/deploy all-in-one systems with touchscreens. To use Windows 8, 9, 10 or higher. Gone is the old way of using Windows with 7.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

^ I doubt it tipstir. Outside of a retail environment, touchscreens don't make sense for desktop users. Retail environments may all transition to tablets anyway...

You can use Windows 8 metro with a mouse just fine, how is moving your pointer clicking or clicking and dragging any different than using your finger? other than your arm doesn't get tired.

Pan Wah said:

Nah, companies will just have to switch to OSX & Linux in their droves (mine's certainly looking into it!)