Demonoid operators arrested in Mexico, Anonymous vows revenge

By on August 9, 2012, 5:30 PM

Fresh details emerging this week have helped answer some ongoing questions about the orchestrated takedown of Demonoid. Knocked offline by a DDoS attack on July 24, early reports suggested that the torrent tracker's downtime would be somewhat temporary, pending repairs by its IT administrator.

That prognosis took a rapid turn for the worst Monday when Ukrainian authorities announced that they ordered ColoCall, the nation's largest datacenter and Demonoid's host, to disable the site and fork over data. At the time, the move was obviously part of a coordinated international effort, but it was unclear to what extent, besides speculation about Demonoid being a "gift" from the Ukraine to the US, proving the former is "serious" about addressing copyright infringement.

The IFPI, a London-based international record label consortium, and INTERPOL have since revealed their involvement in organizing the strike, which isn't just limited to the Ukraine. In addition to the site being disrupted via ColoCall, Mexico is conducting criminal investigations into alleged Demonoid administrators and has reportedly made several arrests along with seizing assets. Unfortunately, additional details on this front are currently unavailable.

"Demonoid was a leading global player in digital music piracy which acted as unfair competition to the more than 500 licensed digital music services that offer great value music to consumers while respecting the rights of artists, songwriters and record companies," IFPI anti-piracy director Jeremy Banks said. "In this instance police forces on different sides of the world worked together with INTERPOL and the music industry to successfully disrupt the distribution chain for illicit digital music products," said John Newton, of INTERPOL.

In light of the latest developments, many Demonoid users have grown concerned about whether they'll be targeted. Given the magnitude of such an undertaking, TorrentFreak believes it's unlikely that authorities will seek a large quantity of users and if anything, they might make an example out of a few heavy uploaders. The IFPI declined to comment on whether members are being investigated.

Unsurprisingly, Anonymous has vowed revenge against those involved in the takedown, or in its own words, the "usual cabal of lobbyists, SOPA/ACTA supporters and their bribed politicians." The group claims it's already on the offense, launching DDoS attacks against various sites operated by the Ukrainian government. The hackers also promise to restore Demonoid by "any means necessary," which could include a series of mirror sites operated by several Anonymous members.

anonymous, do your worst :D

ikesmasher said:

this just proves anon is full of ******. Demonoid WAS illegal, and theres no argument against that...regardless of whether or not your glad its gone.

Yeah they might take a webste down for two hours....whooooooo.

Anon are a ******* joke.

Ranger1st Ranger1st said:

I used to be on the fence with anon.. now all I can say, " rain hell", make the greedy buggers feel it.

1 person liked this | MilwaukeeMike said:

Yeah, but they don't care what's actually legal, they care about what they view as oppression. They're not ******, they're more like society's outcasts who use hacking as a means to empowerment. More like a passive-aggresive child vowing 'I'll show them' to the other kids at school because they were picked last at dodge ball.

more power to them. we live in a free world and I believe sharing is caring ;) so screw monopolies and corrupt politicians who keep preaching about how much we share with our friends. While the Politicians keep destroying our sites and criminalizing sharing, they hold shares in the very company that takes a stand against us. the only thing that the politician receives is a fat wallet while someone sits in jail.

Rippleman Rippleman said:

I dont understand the people that support these kind of people. Would you work for free? There are some people that do work for free, but most people work and release music with the intention of getting PAID. You shouldn't get something for free ONLY because you feel you should. If you want something, buy it. If you don't, then don't. No one forces you to pirate, its your choice based on YOU wanting something for FREE. And when someone STOPS you from stealing from them, you get mad and strike back? Retards...

I suppose you think letting a friend borrow a movie or game is illegal to.

Matter of fact Microsoft might make the next Xbox unable to play used games.

My point is piracy in reality, no company is hurt by hit it.

1 person liked this | MilwaukeeMike said:

more power to them. we live in a free world and I believe sharing is caring so screw monopolies and corrupt politicians who keep preaching about how much we share with our friends. While the Politicians keep destroying our sites and criminalizing sharing, they hold shares in the very company that takes a stand against us. the only thing that the politician receives is a fat wallet while someone sits in jail.

I don't know what's scarier... that you are probably old enough to vote, or that soon I'll have to pay for your healthcare.

Sharing is caring.. hooray, internet communism! Spend millions making a movie, developing an app or creating a game? YOU DIDNT BUILD THAT! Share it all for free!

Do some people know how dumb they sound?

And a passive-aggressive child saying "I'll show them" is one thing, particularly if he, say, goes on to college and makes more money then all those that picked on him. This is more like the passive aggressive child taking a machine gun to services innocent people use because of vague connections to people the retarded child doesn't like.

Anonymous please do do your worst we are all so proud oif your support for demoniod.

Lawyers still argue about whether a BitTorrent site is illegal or not, but I doubt that fight can be won. It depends on the status of the files being shared.

The history of the Internet is full of examples of the value of "stolen" files being wildly exaggerated. Organisations such as the MPAA seem to have never understood that a million illicit copies is not a million lost sales.

Meanwhile the "stolen" files are still out there, multiple copies, waiting for somebody to download them again, Could Demonoid return? Each time a recovery gets harder, but it isn't impossible.

R3DP3NGUIN R3DP3NGUIN said:

I kind of treat piracy as a Try-Before-Buy. There I admitted I do pirate (Occasionally), but with the amount of shear crap that lots of corporations from numerous industries make you cant not expect people to pirate. When it comes to movies and video games for example, I don't want to have to spend lots of money for a crap product hence why lots of people pirate.

ETF Soldier ETF Soldier said:

BitTorrent is used for legal means aswell, so they wouldn't take it down.

I know what you mean, I often pirate, but I usually by the music anyway once I have the money, the only times when I technically haven't bought it after is when I needed the same song in a different format.

This reminds me of a book called 1984 that I've read and studied. Orwell didn't mean it to be a how-to handbook, but it looks like it's happening faster with each passing hour. Up yours, Big Brother!

visitor83 visitor83 said:

Look here first of all we have to come to the conclusion that we live in a world were super cooperation?s, rich, and certain industries are raping our countries recourses and pushing a corporate dictatorship on all of us, buying off are governments so they can impose their will on us. I say steel it all and ftw why should we play by the rules all the time?. They would gladly steel from us and now they have the nerve to arrest us for downloading a mp3?. These lil fat cat basters have lost their minds to all those who feel bad get over it and I hope anonymous gets them even worse than before.

I have two reason why I almost never buy films:

The first reason, I don't want to buy a dvd or blu-ray, where you need to wait 20 minutes before you can start to look because of the stupid trailers and copyright notice.

The second reason, it isn't fair that there is region protection, if I want buy a dvd in America I need to have dvd player that can bypass it or the film is only available in other continent and can't buy in my continent

The last reason, I only look them once maybe twice not worth buying it, I like things like hulu but there are to late and there are blocking people that aren't from America.(still don't know why people out other countries not may see those series.

I buy dvd's but only if they are worth it and know that I go to look them more then 10 times in my life.

Encase of music, yes I download music, but lately I'm using more and spotify.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Oooh. Anon is getting angry.

If they were really serious about making change, as I've said ad nauseum, they would actually hack something of value. Break into some lobbyists computers and show proof of bribery. Hack into bank accounts of politicians and show ill gotten gains.

Instead they hack obscure sheriff's departments, and of course gaming forums.

Once they do something that actually has some serious social impact, other than making PS3 owners upset, then I'll cheer their cause. But they really are all talk.

Even hackers these days are lazy. Back in the day they'd do some serious shit. Now they just do lazy DDoS attacks and go after easy targets. No different than kids who think Liking a FB page is actually going to deliver food to starving children in Africa.

gorehound gorehound said:

Wishing that Anonymous could release all the dirty laundry of the MAFIAA.

I do not buy one thing that they put out nor do I care about downloading their products.

I do spend my money on INDIE & Local Art.

1 person liked this | CaptLiberty said:

Most of us don't mind paying for our products. What I mind is the artist getting pennies while the record companies get dollars. Why should I enrich the corporations?

I feel the same about all products. Levi's cost a buck or so to make? And Levi wants $40 for them? Come on. A CD is made for pennies, the artist is paid in nickles, and the record company keeps $10 on every sale? Tell me that's fair.

What we want is a fair price, and fair renumeration for the artist. You'll note that some artists have gone web only for distribution and cut the robber record companies out all together.

I've seen touring artists locally selling their self pressed CD's for $10, which I gladly pay, because I know the ARTIST gets the proceeds.

I'm not sure whats scarier the fact that good websites are being shutdown.,.MLB and NFL blackout all my fav team games....PS3 rips you off....PC sharing was 1 place we had something....now its going....going .....gone......soon.......but what scares me is the closed minded sheep /voters that are supporting the prosecution and oppression ......the vast majority of voters are brainwashed media sheep....baaa ......

treetops treetops said:

At least anom are doing what they do because they believe in it. As opposed to the forces on the other side of the coin who were given lobbyist dollars(legal bribes) to create and enforce these laws.

But I agree Demoniod blatantly and purposely shared copyrighted material and if ever there was a reason for enforcement of these laws this would be it.

I have pirated but I know its wrong. This isn't like TBH or megaupload where users can share whatever they want and law makers try to target the entire site for what SOME users upload.

Everything iv(no I do not have extensive knowledge on there uploads) seen demonoid present is copyrighted.

p.s. Yes I have tried to justify pirating by saying how much they over charge us, but you know the old saying if you don't like it don't buy it. This is entertainment not a necessity like gasoline, food or water. There is no reason to steal entertainment because you do not like the price.

p.s.s. Yes we can vote with our wallet buy not going to the movie theaters and yes it is a shame that other people over paying will result in MY movie cost to be way to high. But that is democracy. Part of its imperfection. Like when slavery existed because the majority wanted it and yes it really sucked for the few, but high movie prices are far from a human indignity like slavery.

Then again those smuggling slaves to the north were considered thieves by the south. However as said before they were not stealing for the sake of entertainment. They stole for a necessity, freedom and to stop the oppression of there fellow man.

HOPE YOU ENJOYED THE RANT

Do some people know how dumb they sound?

How does online piracy have to do with shooting? Last time I checked no one has died because of online piracy. No one has died just because a movie was pirated. Geez MilwaukeeMike's metaphor were pretty ******* terrible, but your addition to it takes the cake. Ideologically torrents aren't illegal it's what is the torrent contains. The only reason why the judicial system is targeting demonoid is for money.

I want everyone to picture this thought in their mind. Imagine your are building a house...you take a lot of consideration in the planning and cost in buiding the house. Then a person, whom you do not know comes up to you and says," Hello, I have noticed your building a house, may I see all aspects of what you are building?" Now you have a choice: 1) Do you let this person, whom you do not know, come in to your house and see the wonders of your imagination that has come to life, or 2) do you tell the person to bug off and mind his own business. Now, say you let this person, whom you do not know, in your house of your dreams and they look around for a bit and say a few months later you see the same person building the exact same house, just as you did. Would you be upset that your plan for your dream house has been exploited, or would you just let things be. It seems that this whole situation is biased on how people feel about it. I personally agree that some information should be public and some information should be kept away from the public's eye. For example, do you think the say the information on how to build an atomic bomb should be made public. After all we as humans are on the top of the food chain, hence the only thing that can extinct our race is ourselves.

For all of you supporting the take down, you have no idea what this is about.

Much of Hollywood, the RIAA, MPAA, and other media organizations are the head for funding take downs.

They are the same greedy corrupt people who infiltrate your school systems and universities and made them into the trash they are today. They are the same people who want to have complete control over the internet. They want a monopoly.

The point is, pirating doesn't force anyone to "loose" money. People who download software, and movies would likely have "NEVER" bought the video or movie at full retail price.

It costs less than 25 cents to make a DVD and not much more for a Blue Ray Disc.

There is no reason a music CD or movie DVD should ever sell beyond 5$ for media.

But this isn't just about pirating software and media... The issue goes into patents and copyright trolling in which corporations want to have rights to damn near everything you have in your house.

They want exclusive access to create, build, engineer media and software, completely blocking out independent and small business.

Video Game developers who have online games that use registered keys have no problems with pirating because you need a unique key tied to an account to play the game online.

I have faith in Valve, Blizzard, EA, Microsoft in their market system, the rest of the tech world needs to take note. Especially the Movie Picture Association of America and the Recording Industry Association of America. Both of these old world trash need to take note.

And as for copyrights and patents... NO ONE should hold rights to any objects, materials, or designs. It should be open for anyone to create, let the best man create the best product.

The only thing I support for copyrights is names. I do not believe you should be able to sell products as something they are not.

For instance, selling Pepsi as a Pepsi when it was not produced by Pepsi. Logos as well, people who hold a copyright on a logo that is an "ACTIVE" produced product. No one should be able to use that logo or something too similar to it.

I gave my Demonoid account (u/n and p/w) to someone asking for an account a month after I got it years ago. It's just a really bad torrent site. Half the stuff isn't even in english. I don't know why people want to use it so badly. All I know is I didn't miss it.

Interested in seeing what Anonymous does in retaliation though.

Anon_Watch Anon_Watch said:

You seem to forget that the Law and Justice system is based on innocent until proven guilty. Sure these Admin will get their trial but I already wonder how much bribes and corruption will be involved. There is little justice here when it is all about market bullying using abuse of the law which can be clearly seen in the Mega case.

All we have here is some media owner had a bad hair day and Demonoid ends up destroyed because of it. "Corporate terrorism" is a fair term and they of course ignore the vast array of Public Domain and Create Commons titles as they destroy an entire site over just 500 infringing songs not that Demonoid did anything more than say "these exist on the BT network"

This is nothing more than a War on Infringement and the nukes have been launched so watch as entire websites get vaporised before your eyes. Strange is it not that 15 million US citizens protested against SOPA and PIPA to avoid this very situation but here we are anyway with rich corporations nuking their rivals.

Then look at Wikileaks when their main site and all their mirrors have been DDOSed off-line for the past week. This is the same time that DDOS started up against Demonoid and you can bet your last dollar that the United States Government has a hand in this UNLAWFUL act when few have resources that large.

So what does tell us that the United States is armed for a major War and they employ these vast resources for commercial reasons. If you don't believe me then go ask ICANN when they know.

Anonymous are our heroes. They are the ones who fire back against this injustice and abuse of the law. Anyone can play Anonymous including YOU where 9000 brave souls have already signed up to this Demonoid revenge operation.

To anonymous,

Honestly, do you gus think you have the resources to stop the governments of the world? Hasn't the wars across history taught you anything? They will keep coming as long as you keep coming. They will not stop until you do or you are shutdown completely. For example, the war in Afghanistan still fight on even after Osama Bin Laden has been killed. Government have one thing that we as people do not, even the richest person in the world does not....UNLIMITED RESOURCES!!! They will keep coming for you and will not stop ubtil you do!!!

The real outrage should be that Interpol under Secretary General Ronald Noble (formerly a US Treasury Undersecretary most known for his whitewash report on the ATF and FBI murders of the Branch Davidian cult members in Waco, where mostly women and children were burned alive) is now a tool for corrupt governments. Interpol used its Red Letter system to get that Saudi Arabian blogger arrested in Malaysia, while he was on the run from blasphemy charges leveled against him by the Saudi religious police. That blogger is facing the death penalty. Interpol gave the captain of the anti-whaling ship "Sea Shepherd" a Red Letter notice on a request from Japan, which is illegally harvesting whales in the Antarctic. Whenever Interpol sells out its integrity, Noble's press agents deny Interpol had anything to do with the arrest. Now Interpol is in bed with the Ukrainian government, a cesspool of corruption whose president funneled hundreds of millions in World Cup construction graft through Belize bank accounts, money stolen from Ukrainian citizens. No need to say much about Mexican President Calderon except that everyone knows he is a tool for the Sinaloa cartel who as President of Mexico was almost certainly was involved in the Fast and Furious weapons smuggling operation. You can bet Interpol has a Red Letter notice prepared for release to its member nations if Sweden gets its hands on Julian Assange.

With all the shit in the world that needs to be fixed, governments focus on this? It just shows you that governments only care about money not the people who live in them. Imagine how much REAL crime they could have stopped if they put their resources and focus onto catching REAL criminals, NOT the average Joe who cant afford software to explore their creative mind, yet could possibly create things far better than rich people who have cash to buy it? I hope

Anonymous lives forever!

Physically and technically speaking, no one is stealing anything when they download a copy of anything digital based be it music, photos, videos or programs.

Technically, to steal is defined as: an organism\organization removing access to an object or objects by a different organism\organization whom has a fully legal claim of ownership for the object or objects in question.

There is only copying going on here, not stealing.

An utterly sound argument can be made that no human being has the right to own anything or prevent anyone from copying anything. Consider that every human being is purely a copy themselves (DNA) and that the materials they are made of are almost completely replaced yearly. Any claim of ownership of these materials that constitute a human copy either before, during or after "use" are temporary and dubious at the very best.

All suffering is the result of the ignorance of self-clinging or ego. As long as ignorance is active in the psycho-cosmological foundation of a being, experienced as attraction (greed, envy, clinging), aversion (hatred, jealousy, anger, pushing away) and sloth and torpor, then more confusion and suffering will naturally continue to be an outcome.

"Ownership" is an idea that exists loosely within the temporary confines of the minds of deluded beings and contains fundamentally no "truth" beyond this highly fragile and superficial boundary.

Ok?

Work for free? Are you nuts? Even if you say musicians should earn a decent, or even a very good living, are you seriously suggesting that they, and the agents, executives, and other parasitic ticks that infest them should be earning millions and millions of dollars for what they do? Wise up and grow up.

marinkvasina marinkvasina said:

This is just bullshit that you're talking. Demonoid was NOT JUST a pirating website, people who didn't use it gtfo and stop talking when you have no clue what was actually going on behind the scenes of the torrent based website.

To make it simple: Noone loses money when I get a song/movie/game for free, why? I would have never payed for it in the first place/will never pay for it anyways.

You should understand that A LOT of people who PIRATE don't even have MONEY to buy any of the stuff that they got for free. Give us a break.

It's really very funny. The vast majority of people would never have paid for any of the stuff they copied. However, the otherwise free advertising and endorsements that would have come from all these people will be completely lost. Popular word of mouth has been proven to be the most effective commercial avenue and in many cases this will now have been significantly diminished.

Watch and see that as so called piracy is reduced, so will be profits. ;)

A lose lose situation.

Then again, the quality of modern commercial media and entertainment is so bad and such a waste of people's time and lives that perhaps this is really a win for the pirates. :)~

The only ones who gain from all this anti-piracy nonsense are the law. Police get to stay employed and alive arresting harmless computer geeks and filling prisons with them instead of risking their lives going after dangerous real threats to society while lawyers and judges pad their riches with extra wads of free money like they always have.

The real criminals are The Law. How ironic.

Chris Just Chris Just said:

When governments put people in jail over the same tactics they are using, then I say any thing goes and it is time to make changes to control them and not the rest of us! Yes by any means necessary, Play on and play dirty! They raid or homes, take our money destroy our business all with out due process and all for the love of money. Lets not forget 99% of these cases where actions like this were taken by our governments in the end were found to be unconstitutional by there own courts! I think Aron is wasting there time with DDoS attacks but hay when Sony got hacked and went down for a month do you think it did not effect there bankroll and force there users to find other alternatives like Steam, Xbox and others, and a lot of use stuck to the alternatives and sold our PS3 or don't use them as much. You bet it did! I don't think to torrent is good or bad but it is not about the torrenting, it is about the way ours and others governments go about doing things that is the major crime here!

So, US politicians show an interest in Mexico, the drug violence capital of the world, only when they can chase down some poor SOB who helps people around the world get access to their favourite artists' work. Way to protect the corporate interests over those of the people.

Chris Just Chris Just said:

Just look at Megaupload and Kim Dotcom watch the raids on his and others homes. The same tactics military use on terrorists all over file shearing when he did not make the files or upload them! Megaupload and Kim Dotcom only let people upload files of any type to share with other. I myself have used them to send files of my art work and videos to large to send any other way like on Yahoo or MSN, ECT. In this case it was found the search warrants were invalid also was the seizure of his home and assets!

marinkvasina marinkvasina said:

Funny how they use the Law against Piracy, but what comes from Piracy? Only money loss, while they should be fighting real crime, all those drugs and terorist... keep going this way USA.

hitech0101 said:

I believe the IFPI was the reason all this happened and we all know who they or rather what they are.

Couldn't agree with you more Vasink...I wouldn't buy the stuff otherwise so it's not like they're losing a sale...they never HAD a sale...LMFAO! I want my demonoid back...NOW!

Stopping someone from selling stolen goods or facilitating piracy is not oppression.

What exactly was "stolen\pirated"? No one had anything taken away from them except the delusional hope that some one who "copied" something they considered theirs without asking have actually given them money for it otherwise.

Considering humans are merely DNA copies themselves and did not pay their ancestors for it than it is completely hypocritical to try to force others to pay for copies of anything as well.

LucasG LucasG said:

You guys aren't really getting the point of this. While it is illegal and you could question the ethics of their creators all day, it goes far beyond that.

The issue in hand here is that companies are putting so much money into politicians/police/etc. that they have gained control of these authorities. Basically the enterprise world is now strong enough as our whole lives revolve around entertainment and handing our hard earned cash to them, millions of us. So they got the money to do what they want as long as they can keep making more money and pissing other people. It's quiet simple actually, it's not going to change though, as I doubt anyone is willing to give away their comfy lifestyle.

Instead, we could be having all that money and those companies contributing back to communities, helping developments, etc. rather than wasting millions and millions on someone that hasn't even touched another person, while you have on the streets lack of police enforcement, or corrupt police enforcement forcing people to do as they want and treating them like shit.

It's so much more than whether it's illegal or not or other stupid crap like that. Piracy is actually kind of in a way a fight against corporate greed, I'm not saying I embrace it though.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

O M G... Rationalization at it's most philosophical.

LucasG LucasG said:

O M G... Rationalization at it's most philosophical.

Yes, because you probably need ALL that force to grab this fatty.

[video embed]

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

LOL - I was pretty jealous of his home though. As the helicopter was flying in I was saying "surely this isn't his home." Just wow.

There is a lot of sweat, time sacrificed, talent and emotion put into music projects. Too many people take this for granted. Just as you pay for food you can pay for your entertainment. Sure you can grow your own tomatoes but try to make your own music and have that be the only thing you listen to. Take a listen to what's playing on the air these days compared to 20-30 years ago. It's crap. Why because there is no revenue coming in from CD sales to pay talented music producers, engineers and studios to do quality work. People are making records in their basements and coming out with watered down digitally enhanced fixed boring pieces of music that sound like you were standing in a factory assembly line listening to the same background noise over and over. Take some of that money that you feel you're entitled to from your parents because your mother and father put you on this earth and spend a little on music. Support the arts.

Camikazi said:

No they very well understand that they are not losing out on money they are just trying to wring as much out of us as they can. They are not stupid they know not everyone who copies would have bought their product they are just playing dumb and trying to get huge amounts of money they would have never made in the first place.

You are describing trademark, not copyright. However, books that I poured years into producing and sold directly to users would later appear in a DVD archive that were actually SOLD by third parties on eBay and I received not a dime for my work. At least when people did filesharing no money changed hands (granted some money was made by the torrent websites off of advertising but they were not earning money by selling my books). The people on eBay who collect the fileshared documents and then sell it to consumers are disgusting because they are making money while we authors make zilch.