Apple iPhone demand may be slowing, mixed reports on the matter

By on January 14, 2013, 7:30 AM

The iconic handset remains a favorite among consumers, let alone Apple fans, but according to a report from the Wall Street Journal, Apple may have overestimated demand for the device and is currently reducing orders of iPhone parts. WSJ cites unnamed sources saying that some component orders are being cut as much as half for the January to March quarter.

Apple is set to announce quarterly results in a couple of weeks, which means soon we'll learn whether this report is accurate. Ironically, however, forecasts from financial analysts put the iPhone demand well on the rise with a median of 49.5 million units sold -- a healthy 34% year over year increase.

The iPhone 5 was released last September to overall positive reviews, bringing palpable improvements to Apple's flagship handset.

Before the iPhone 5, Apple offered the iPhone 4S which sold very well, even when it carried over the aesthetics of its predecessor for another year. This could have given many Apple loyal consumers the perfect excuse to upgrade their previous-gen iPhones to the iPhone 5. On that same note, Apple may be considering to speed up its yearly release cycle to better compete with the likes of Samsung.

But this is just one of multiple iPhone rumors floating around. Last week we were hearing that a cheaper iPhone was in the works, too, so Apple could target multiple Android and Windows Phone devices currently being sold for less than $100.

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

No matter what Apple tries they won't be getting my money. I'll stick with the competition thanks.

MilwaukeeMike said:

Type in 'Teens think Apple is' into google. (Answer:They think it isn't cool anymore) I'm surprised TS hasn't run with this story yet, considering CNET, Neowin, Forbes, Yahoo and a few others all have. And that's just the first page of hits.

2 people like this | PC nerd PC nerd said:

Apple don't deserve money.

The whole patent fiasco really shows what a corrupt and evil company they are.

SAMSUNG ALL THE WAY!

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Teens can be fickle, I know because I ended my teens almost 40 years ago but things were different back then, life was much simpler & better. Having said that I still have my old Apple IIe PC & Hi Fi (Blaupunkt Cosmos with analogue tuner, cassette deck & turntable) which I bought in the early 80's stored away in my garage. Just keeping them for posterity.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

What's an "iPhone"?

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Ah, yes... Proof that market saturation and consumer product fatigue can happen to anyone, even Apple.

JC713 JC713 said:

The reason I got an iPhone is because I find Android is pretty unorganized in terms of an app eco system. The app store is filled with junk while the apple app store is clean. I am gonna get a Galaxy S4 next time... this iPhone 5 sucks... after a few months of having it I notice it feels quite generic

ikesmasher said:

ironically, thats the reason I GOT an android phone. The app store isnt monitored for things the phone developer doesnt like. In my opinion, android feels like a much more open (and therefore useable by me) OS.

JC713 JC713 said: