Samsung Ativ Q: a laptop-tablet hybrid running Windows 8 and Android

By on June 21, 2013, 9:03 AM
windows, android, samsung, tablet, laptop, windows 8, ativ q, samsung ativ

There’s no mistaking it now; the global shift from desktop PCs to mobile devices is in full swing. In an attempt to bring out the best of both worlds, Samsung unveiled the Ativ Q on Thursday, a true laptop-tablet hybrid. Although the device can seamlessly shape-shift from one form to another, the real allure is that it runs on two operating systems – Windows 8 and Android Jelly Bean.

Although this combination might seem dysfunctional at first, it really is brilliant. Microsoft tried to do something bold by releasing Windows 8; they incorporated touch-optimized elements into an OS slated for both traditional computers and mobile platforms. Unfortunately, by Microsoft standards and in the majority of consumer eyes, it failed. The real problem didn’t have anything to do with a buggy interface or unforeseen glitches that found their way into the final product, but instead, it simply tried too hard to please both markets. The Ativ Q provides an alternative solution – why make users settle for one OS, when you can have two.

The coolest thing about the hybrid device is that the two operating systems share file folders. This means that anything saved while using the Windows 8 interface will also find its way onto the Android partition. According to a Cnet reviewer, transitioning from one OS to the other is extremely easy. He explains, “Switching between the two operating systems is a simple task of hitting a tile on the Windows 8 desktop. The switch takes a couple of seconds at most and thankfully doesn't require a restart."

Apart from the dual OS feature, the Ativ Q is also impressive on a physical level. At just 13 inches, it packs an impressive 3,200 x 1,800 pixel display. It will also run on Intel’s latest processor architecture, Haswell.

Although the Ativ Q is not the first laptop to experiment with a mobile OS, or even a dual OS configuration, it will be interesting to see if more manufacturers follow in its footsteps.

roxxas2 said:

That's stupid. If I have Windows 8, why would I need Android?

MilwaukeeMike said:

That's stupid. If I have Windows 8, why would I need Android?

Apps. The 8 in Win 8 isn't just because it's the version after 7. The biggest strike against the surface was the tiny app market.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

That's stupid. If I have Windows 8, why would I need Android?

That's stupid. If I have Android, why would I need Windows 8?

1 person liked this | JC713 JC713 said:

Dat display.

MilwaukeeMike said:

That's stupid. If I have Android, why would I need Windows 8?

MS Office mostly. however, any business user may have specific software they use for work that would run on Windows but not Android. This thing is a tablet and a laptop with the best of both... it sounds like it's what the Surface pro aspires to be.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

True. I was just being facetious.

If you have to use MS stuff on Android, use OnCloud.

I don't see the need for Android frankly except maybe for navigation if this thing has a GPS built-in and maybe touch-friendlier apps. Two OS's mean twice the headache when it comes to upgrades, infections and problems in general.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Heh, I wonder how DPI and general Windows scaling would work on that screen....

JC713 JC713 said:

Heh, I wonder how DPI and general Windows scaling would work on that screen....

Windows 8.1 is supposed to improve scaling a ton on high resolution displays.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Windows 8.1 is supposed to be a functioning OS too.

Supposed.

:P

Rishad said:

That is amazing! I can use both the WIndows8 and Android in one tablet.