Xbox One will work without Kinect, gamepad to support PCs in 2014

By on August 13, 2013, 10:00 AM
xbox, kinect, support, pc gaming, gamepad, controller, sensor, xbox one

Microsoft seems to be making a habit of completely reversing decisions and statements surrounding their upcoming Xbox One console. After notably dropping the unpopular online check-in requirement and used game restrictions, now the company is saying the console will operate without the Kinect sensor plugged in after all.

Originally Microsoft confirmed that the Xbox One would require the second-generation Kinect, which is bundled with the console, to be plugged in at all times. However, it's now been confirmed by Chief Platform Architect Marc Witten that you can actually unplug the Kinect, and "like online, the console will still function".

Witten confirmed that features which "explicitly used the sensor", understandably, won't be available with the Kinect unplugged. While this will prevent you from using voice commands or gestures, the system will still be usable through the gamepad. Witten also confirmed that users will be able to turn the sensor off in the console's settings: "the sensor is not collecting any information" with this setting enabled, he said.

In other news, the Xbox One's gamepad will become compatible with PCs next year thanks to official drivers currently in development by Microsoft. Right now, to use a wireless Xbox 360 controller with a PC you need to purchase an additional dongle, however differences between the Xbox 360 gamepad and the Xbox One gamepad have made matters cheaper and simpler to pair with a traditional computer.

When the Xbox One's controller is plugged in to the console via a micro-USB cable, its wireless radios are shut off, allowing it to function like a standard wired controller. It's likely this wired mode functionality will be used to make the gamepad compatible with PCs, but it's unclear if a dongle will be available for a wireless experience.

According to Microsoft, they will be working hard to ensure the Xbox One's controller will work with all games that support the Xbox 360 controller. This requires a lot of work so the drivers are expected to be available in 2014.

1 person liked this | ikesmasher said:

At this point, microsoft might consider all games features that require the kinect. You never know with them. Although its slowly getting easier to see the one as a useable console, im not buying supporting a product that was so flawed to begin with.

1 person liked this | MilwaukeeMike said:

Hopefully people believe now that Microsoft didn't really plan on using the Kinect to hack into living rooms to watch slack-jawed gamers stare at their television.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

I guess that management shuffle worked out better than expected...

wastedkill said:

It was obviously flawed to begin with plus who wants to go with a company that have lied+screwed over their customers? Microsoft isn't the better company for thinking with their wallets I mean come on they wouldn't be like "oh our customers want this lets put in it" they are like "oh customers want this in lets tell them they dont need it"

3 people like this | treeski treeski said:

Funny how easily people forget Sony's completely botched hacking catastrophe and everything that went down with geohot. I would trust MS over Sony any day of the week. Do you REALLY believe that Sony isn't thinking with their wallets? Give me a break!

wastedkill said:

Did you forget how easy it is to hack? pentagon hacked US military hacked... seriously stop thinking it takes 3 simple steps to prevent yourself from being hacked and I know what sony did but atleast they are thinking of their customers as well lol microsoft are only thinking about money thats it.

I'm pretty sure a 12yr old also hacked the pentagon so please dont think a company can be completely secure as they aren't and never will be!

1 person liked this | SumthinSacred said:

The ONLY reason why Microsoft had to conform to the consumers demands was that no one was going to buy the xbox one. Only because they realized people were voting with their money that the xbox one was shit did they change. Neither company (microsoft or sony) would release a new console that's supposed to be their best console into the public knowing that it wouldn't turn a profit.

1 person liked this | Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

If Microsoft was the better company, they would have addressed consumer ideas and problems BEFORE they made the XboxOne and then none of this would have happened. As with Win8, Microsoft thought they knew better than what the typical customer wanted and came back and bit them on the ass.

wastedkill said:

If Microsoft was the better company, they would have addressed consumer ideas and problems BEFORE they made the XboxOne and then none of this would have happened. As with Win8, Microsoft thought they knew better than what the typical customer wanted and came back and bit them on the ***.

Then blamed it on the companies like Dell, HP etc. they are pathetic!

1 person liked this | RenGood08 RenGood08 said:

I'm still deciding whether if this would be something worth the investment. I mean I'd rather have a 360. I don't care about the latest and greatest. I care about whats going to work good. I mean it may look nice, doesn't mean it's going to be as good or better than the 360. It's like the iPhone line. They keep putting out new releases when they all look alike! maybe a little thinner and smaller the newer they get. Its ridiculous really. If something is working good in the market, just do a couple upgrades to it. Don't redesign it and make it totally new.

ikesmasher said:

Honestly all this thread has turned into now is a fanboy war, I was stating facts and common sense opinions (such as the xbox one being flawed to begin with) and people still deny them.

Whatever. If I get a console its going to be a PS4 because they actually know and care about what their fanbase wants, and thats simply gaming. They also arent trying to pocket my money after I buy used games and trying to monitor my console continually.

EDIT: I might also add that I didnt deny sony thought with their wallets. Every successful company thinks with their wallets. Sony just does the most basic thing every company should do, listen to their consumer base before making decisions.

1 person liked this | wastedkill said:

Dont forget its $100 cheaper haha

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

All I have to to say is "THANK F*CK!" now only one more step Microsoft, a package without the Kinect (and lower price of course) and your onto a winner!

wastedkill said:

xbox 360 vs xbox one = xbox one winner but xbox one vs ps4 = ps4 winner its more powerful, cheaper, didn't screw over their customers and you get free games!

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Don't worry man I agree with ya! I don't plan on actually buying anything Xbox anymore after the 360, it served me well but its been extremely crap for the last 2 years, I'm PS4 all the way at the moment unless Microsoft suddenly go back to the old Xbox days, hell I'm purchasing my first PS3 in a week!

Kevin82485 Kevin82485 said:

How long until Microsoft offers an Xbox One at retail that does not include a Kinect and they drop the price $100 to match the PS4 price?

wastedkill said:

The NSA are probably paying microsoft big cash to get customers keep it so they can see what your doing.

1 person liked this | Nobina Nobina said:

They can't see much with Kinect. If you are using it, you are probably playing games, not plotting another 9-11 or some shit.

wastedkill said:

They can't see much with Kinect. If you are using it, you are probably playing games, not plotting another 9-11 or some ****.

Still it wouldn't surprise me specially when its microsoft that lie to you and everybody then work with the NSA to give all your non-encrypted&encrypted stuff whilst helping un-encrypt your encrypted stuff Plus you never know someone could be plotting something and it could get caught by the kinect which the NSA would very much abuse.

Microsoft and the NSA are like 2 lovers they love each other soo much they start giving each other stuff then screwing over others whilst telling them they aren't doing just that.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

I wonder what the trade in value of the kinect sensor is going to be?

SirGCal SirGCal said:

News update: Microsoft lost all backbone! "We stand firm! That is, until the public doesn't like it... then we backup and squirm..."

I wasn't an Xbox fan before, I sure as heck am not now. I don't care if they backed out of so many of the items that we really disliked about it. They still tried to screw everyone first, then backed up. In this case the backup was a good thing but, I'm still not going to support em. Just no need. The PS4 (actually my PC) will be more then plenty.

Ok yeah your going to trust them still over sony! Im shocked truley, its like going out on a 2nd date with someone who tried to rape you on the 1st. Your going to get what you desrve.

Dont forget on xbone your fancy bluetooth headphones wont work because they want you to spend even more money. Also the update to remove nazi settings will cost you $59

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Why does it take so long to get working drivers? There hasn't been a button layout change, there's no increased/removed buttons, there's no other axis... there is only a couple extra vibration motors. It should take an hour at most to hack the drivers to work via micro USB, and a couple more weeks I guess to include the extra vibration support. It's not even wireless at this stage!

ikesmasher said:

Wirelessly the controller uses an entirely different broadcast system than the 360. Id assume the wired system needed an overhaul because of it somehow.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

But if it works fine without the sensor, how are the NSA going to be able to watch us?

wastedkill said:

Microsoft and the NSA are like best friends they help each other to give each other information and stuff like that on all their customers they will be able to watch you thats something they want.

It's called being receptive to your consumer base and I for one thinks it good they are so fluid and willing to change to meet demand.

Every business/corporation in the world only cares about making money, quit deluding yourself. It's pathetic how people attach so much loyalty to these corporations; if you want to buy one product over another, I respect that, but these corporations don't give a fck about you or your best interests, lets be real.

Give me one shred of evidence showing Sony can be trusted anymore than Microsoft...

Fanboys, Hyperbole, & Bias, Oh My!

P.S. It's called spell check.

The power difference is negligible at best, especially when you take cloud computing into consideration.

Cheaper is a relative term, if you value the additional features Microsoft is offering, (I do) the slightly premium price is well worth it.

It's called shareholders, unfortunately corporations answer to them; profit is all that matters at the end of the day, Microsoft or Sony, the customer is an afterthought.

Oh boy free games!? You mean like the ones Microsoft is giving away every month?

benken2202001 said:

I would agree that both companies are thinking about money, but they went about it in different ways. Sony chose to sustain a conservative growth steady path of upgraded hardware and minor additional changes. Microsoft, I feel, went for a massive alteration in gaming methodology and coordination technology to provide seemless transitions among entertainment products.

The general population wasn't ready for this and Microsoft pushed it anyway (similarly as mentioned earlier they did this with Win 8). The popular perception was actively played up by Sony and down by Microsoft. It may be that down the road, more systems will incorporate what Microsoft tried to do. But for this generation, we (as average gamers) aren't ready to transition yet to the new stuff. Dollars are always the focus, but if it comes to "known and good" vs. "unknown and untested" we have seen a very apparent event here where dollars speak for themselves (in pre-orders). Economics teachers should use this study in their lesson plan.

Wow, PS4 fans seem very adamant in trying to prove their console of choice's worth. We won't know just how much of an impact the consoles' distinctive features will make on the populace until they are released. Each console has its pros and cons. To each his own.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Sweet news for the controller PC compatibility, when drivers for that are out time for a new gamepad for my PC. Still not getting either console until they have either a decent line up of games available, or a price drop.