Oxford Dictionaries Online says Phablet, Twerk and Derp are real words now

By on August 28, 2013, 2:00 PM
phablet, selfie, twerk, derp, oxford dictionaries online, odo, srsly, dictionary

Derp and twerk are real words now. No srsly they really are, Oxford Online says so. In the continuing spirit of adding ridiculous, made-up internet words to the dictionary, Oxford Dictionaries Online is officially adding a new batch of real winners.

These are terms driven by social networking and a product of new movements in pop culture (and also incrementally ruining the English language as we once knew it).The latest entries include: selfie, phablet, twerk, derp, vom and bitcoin. To give you a quick idea of some past entries, Oxford has also accepted terms such as tweeping, lolz, and mwahahaha.

Oxford Dictionaries Online seems to take pride in keeping up with modern slang. Oxford is responsible for both the Oxford Dictionaries Online and the more well known Oxford English Dictionaries. As you would imagine, these changes are not being implemented into the English Dictionary. In fact, Oxford never removes words from that publication, no matter how out-dated and out of use they become.

Other new entries included srsly, squee and TL;DR.

You likely already know the meaning of most of these, but you can check out a quick sampling of Oxford's take below:

• phablet, n.: a smartphone having a screen which is intermediate in size between that of a typical smartphone and a tablet computer.

• derp, exclam. & n. (informal): (used as a substitute for) speech regarded as meaningless or stupid, or to comment on a foolish or stupid action.

• twerk, v.: dance to popular music in a sexually provocative manner involving thrusting hip movements and a low, squatting stance.

• selfie, n. (informal): a photograph that one has taken of oneself, typically one taken with a smartphone or webcam and uploaded to a social media website.

treeski treeski said:

Phablet and selfie are fine. I've never heard of "twerk" before.

3 people like this | Nobina Nobina said:

We should be making fun of words and people that are dumbing down our languages, but no, let's add them to a dictionary. A couple from years from now, I can imagine people, especially young ones, blabbering yolo, swag, kerp, derp, twerk,...it's not even funny anymore.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

I've never understood Derp, is it Duh + Burp? Sadly I just learned what Twerk is, apparently Miley Cyrus was doing it. I feel old.

2 people like this | Cycloid Torus Cycloid Torus said:

Ohm jst blwn awy bie ths. Sumdae hit wunt b englsh.

3 people like this | BMfan BMfan said:

Had to check my calender just too make sure it wasn't the 1st of April.

2 people like this | psycros psycros said:

And the Idiocracy marches on.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

And the Idiocracy marches on.

If you mean idiocy instead of idiocracy then I couldn't agree more.

2 people like this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Although English is my mother tongue, I haven't understood it for years now especially when listening to youngsters communicate. To me it sound like verbal encryption.

BMfan BMfan said:

1 person liked this | CorvusCorax said:

Language evolves. Old English would probably be incomprehensible to us. I imagine that someday the language that we speak will be referred to as Middle English.

Plus, the point of the dictionary is to be able to look up the meaning of something that somebody says or reads. If a non-native speaker heard the sentence "Hey, look at this derp twerking on my phablet!" it's nice to have a resource for them to understand what the person said before smacking them upside the head.

Watch the movie Idiocracy... then it makes sense.

davislane1 davislane1 said:

Lacking syllables or refinement doesn't disqualify an expression from being a legitimate word. In fact, the English language has developed like this (become more simplistic) for centuries.

What we should all be worried about is the inevitable day when grammar becomes a lost art. Given what's seen on the Internet and in schools these days, I worry that day is just around the corner.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Watch the movie Idiocracy... then it makes sense.

Thanks but I'll give it a miss. I'm not one for movies.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

True. The only things we're assured of in life is change, paying tax & dying. Old English I can mostly understand, but ancient English, now that's something else.

Human stupidity has no limit... I cant believe those considerations

PC nerd PC nerd said:

DERP LEL XDDDD

I ******* despise kids of this generation.

RenGood08 RenGood08 said:

....That is so demeaning. They are making English a joke!!!

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

Idiocracy is an incredibly stupid movie... then you think about it for a few minutes after the credits roll and you get really scared. It's so possible that it's scary.

This is why I make all my friends watch the movie.