Pressy transforms your smartphone's headphone jack into a button

By on August 29, 2013, 4:30 PM
android, kickstarter, pressy, headphone jack, button, smartphone accessory

Wish your Android smartphone had another physical button that could be used as a shortcut to launch an app, take a photo or check in to social networks? A new Kickstarter campaign is peddling just that – a smartphone accessory called Pressy that transforms your headphone jack into a multi-function button.

The company behind Pressy describes it as the almighty Android button that can perform virtually any task you can think of. It consists of a dongle that plugs into your headphone jack to turn it into a clickable button and an app installed on your phone. It comes configured with three pre-set actions: one short click to toggle the flashlight, one long click to toggle your phone in and out of silent mode and a double click to snap a photo.

But that’s just the beginning as the software allows you to totally customize Pressy to perform any number of functions. Some examples include recording a phone call, toggling Wi-Fi / Bluetooth, capturing a screenshot and closing all running applications. Note that you’ll need to be running Android 2.3 or later to use Pressy.

The dongle sits just 0.7mm above the surface of the headphone jack, giving you enough room to press the button and remove the device without being overly intrusive. When you need to use your headphone jack for music or to place a call with a wired headset, simply remove the dongle and store it in the Pressy keychain.

The Kickstarter campaign still has 45 days to go but it’s already managed to surpass the initial goal of $40,000 by a substantial amount. A pledge of $17 will guarantee you’re one of the first to receive the accessory when it ships next March.

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

Will this work on my Motorola Razz Max. Looks like it was tested on Samsung S#.

VitalyT VitalyT said:

Didn't know a phone might need a tampon...

1 person liked this | wastedkill said:

Oops... misread pressy haha anyway this looks pretty cool...

2 people like this | fimbles fimbles said:

An extra button on a touchscreen device.. I think some people would kickstart a waterproof teabag..

wastedkill said:

Thanks for the idea .... brb gonna do a new kickstart project "The worlds first waterproof teabag reusable because its waterproof so its always full of tea!" LOL

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

A physical "programmable button" that allows Immediate access to a feature or function that I use all the time without having to turn the screen on, unlock my phone, and fiddle with menus to get to it? FOR SHAME, such convenience is unbecoming of the 21st century.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

Will this work on my Motorola Razz Max. Looks like it was tested on Samsung S#.

The article says "Your Android smartphone", and "Running Android 2.3 or higher".

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

There were no examples given of functions accessible while your screen is off, or at the lock screen. Don't start arguing it as if it's official just yet.

1 person liked this | dennis777 dennis777 said:

I like this... at least you have an option if the power/lock button worn out. It could be a great camera button too :P

@ hahahanoobs: You probably should have read the kickstarter page before commenting. It says you can use it as a discrete camera (screen off, no flash). :/

Hahahanoobs: The kickstarter pages says you can use it as a discrete camera (screen off, no flash).

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

From the Kickstarter page, right before "How to Set an Action":

For example, you can set Pressy to take a regular photo or to take a discreet photo (with your screen off and without sound or flash).

It is also heavily implied that having to turn on your screen is one of the necessary steps they wish to remove for actions that don't actually require it. In the comments someone says that working without the screen needing to be on has been confirmed, but I've sent a comment/question to the creators to be double sure that I did not make any assumptions in that matter.

As to whether or not it will work with a lock screen enabled: [link] (half way through the comment by the creator)

Overall, I think my comment is fairly reasonable and not jumping to conclusions. =)

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

From the Kickstarter page, right before "How to Set an Action":

Touche.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

This is a good idea. I can see it selling like hotcakes when released.

It also seems to be a flush plug. I will also keep your headphone jack clean of dirt and moisture.

The real question is how do you get the plug out if you don't want it anymore?

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

A

The real question is how do you get the plug out if you don't want it anymore?

Apparently while it is more or less flush against the casing for most if not all phones, there still is just enough of the device protruding out that you can get a hold of and pop it out with your fingernails. At least that's what they said and what it looks like to me.