Samsung may shift to metal chassis with Galaxy S5

By on August 31, 2013, 9:30 AM
samsung, aluminum, galaxy s5, metal body, magnesium, plastic body

The successor to Samsung’s Galaxy S4 could ship with a feature that many have been demanding for quite some time – a metal chassis. That’s right, the latest rumor suggests the fifth generation hero phone could do away with the plastic body in favor of an aluminum or magnesium housing to give it a more premium look and feel according to Korean news site ET News.

In a time when premium phones like the HTC One and the iPhone 5 all use a metal chassis, Samsung has stuck with cheaper plastic materials for their flagship devices because its more durable and lightweight. But that philosophy may soon be put to the wayside to help strengthen Samsung’s brand image.

A premium metal handset isn’t likely to show up until sometime next year and if the move is successful, it could convince Samsung to shift from plastic to metal on other high-end handsets as well. But the decision could also mean the end of a feature that many others have already done away with – the replaceable battery.

Keep in mind, however, that this isn’t the first time we have heard rumblings regarding Samsung’s move to a metal chassis. Back before the Galaxy S4 was released, some believed it would be the first to receive the premium treatment. That obviously didn’t happen and even now less than a week before Samsung reveals the Galaxy Note III, the same metal rumor is being tossed around by some.

JC713 JC713 said:

That is good news.

Ranger1st Ranger1st said:

So.. throw away a rugged, light body and frame to satisfy the shallow demands of the insecure masses.. Won't be getting a samsung any time soon, that's for sure.

MilwaukeeMike said:

Probably not. Samsung has a habit of releasing a phone and/or model for every possible customer. It's why they have a Galaxy S4, an S4 mini, an S4 Active, an S4 Google Edition, and even the S4 Zoom (which is the one with giant camera on it.) If you want a bigger phone, the Note III will basically be an S4 Jumbo.

I wouldn't be surprised if the S5 also has like 5 models and one will have a metal case and one will be plastic with a removable battery.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

I will not buy a phone that doesn't allow me to change the battery. That is the main reason I left HTC and went with Samsung. If they want to make 2 phones with different bodies, then more power to them but if they go the metal only route, I will be seeking out some other phone or not upgradie for awhile since my Galaxy Note 2 is still a beast.

misor misor said:

I approve of this message.

removable cellphone battery = the best.

Samsung Rugged? LOL brother you got it all wrong.. and Plastic is not all durable.. I've owned a few Samsung phones and let me tell you they are far from Rugged or Durable.

avoidz avoidz said:

What's the deal with no being able to replace batteries in phones? A disposable culture is offensive.

Going to metal from plastic means gonna more expensive

Mortalife Mortalife said:

Who said anything about disposing of the battery? Some people just like to have an extra battery when taking longer trips etc..

mailpup mailpup said:

Mortalife, I think you need to read the comment by avoidz again. Having an extra battery has nothing to do with what he said.

That said, you would think that just because the case might be made of metal they could still design it so you could replace the battery. Maybe they won't but I'm sure if they wanted to, they could figure it out.

Aaaand, we will never get our hands on that phone bc of apple...

soldier1969 soldier1969 said:

Talking about a phone that won't be released for at least 8 more months if not more. People will have to then find something else to whine about with Samsung phones other than the plastic.

1 person liked this | dennis777 dennis777 said:

Why is it that metal case means = battery is fix?

nokia has metal case before that has removable battery.

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

Um how about the fact that Lithium Ion batteries are inherently low life? And that EVERYONE has to replace their batteries after a few years just that some don't allow easy user-replacability?

So yes, it is a disposable culture because every commercial phone battery in existence has limited life.

Emexrulsier said:

That is good news.

This isn't news this is nothing more than rumour, the same rumours that have been floating around for the last couple of years that failed to materialise into fact

Stuart Halliday Stuart Halliday said:

The main reason for a plastic back shell is you need a non-radiation blocking material to let the Wi-FI/Mobile phone radio signals in and out... :)

I use the Samsung S3 with the expanded battery back. I'll never go back to HTC after its shameful battery life.

JC713 JC713 said:

Well yeah, the S4 was supposed to have an aluminum body but that was incorrect. I guess this should be treated cautiously then.

You can replace the battery on the S1, which has a metal chassis (correct me if I am wrong). What is so different about it now that you can't?

I don't care if my phone has a plastic back or is made of inferior materials like metal, but if they take away the easily swap-able batteries, my S4 will be the last Samsung phone I'll ever buy. If I want scratches, an uncomfortable feel in the hand and a higher price, I might just go buy an iPhone... But I need to use my device for work, so I worry about battery life (anything under lets say 200 hours of standby with 40 hours of usable time) means I need a replaceable battery. Besides that, I would benefit more from an extra 8GB flash, a gig of memory or a few megahertz more than from a piece of material that will be covered 99% by a cover...