Found: LG pulls post-apocalyptic prank on unsuspecting interviewees using 84-inch UHDTV

By on September 5, 2013, 4:30 PM

You may think investing in a 4KTV right now is not very wise, however it does make a pretty good tool for tricking people, just ask LG. After an elevator prank went viral garnering over 19 million views on YouTube last year, LG Chile decided to get in on the action.

Unsuspecting intervieewes go into a room for a job interview, the room's only window shows what appears to be regular city scenery (the ultra HDTV) when a meteor starts descending into earth and job candidates to freak out. Obviously the room was rigged so they could capture the people's reactions and we could laugh at their expense.

Whether the whole thing was orchestrated or reactions were real but one thing's for sure: the stunt worked. In less than three days, the video has received over two million views.

Found is a new TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Staff
Ivan Franco Ivan Franco said:

Great campaign!

2 people like this | Guest said:

Oh, and ALL comments on that video are moderated, so I think it's a very cynical campaign for the gullible.

TrueBooleanFals TrueBooleanFals said:

When people go for an interview, they are less aware of their surroundings, Guest. Meaning, people do not pay attention to the minute details such as when they 'move their bodies or their heads' in relation to the TV not changing perspective. Another thing that helped is that this is a city landscape at a distance, so, even if you did move your head or body, there would be little, IF any, noticeable change in perspective.

Oh, and 4k with that size screen would matter. Larger screen, larger pixels, but larger resolution, smaller pixels, less aliasing. They would have had to get the color right honestly, because if they didn't, that is what people would notice first.

Yeah, but this would definitely work if your victim had one eye missing and the other didn't focus very well and their head was clamped into one spot so it couldn't move.

yRaz yRaz said:

while its true you could see the image moving around if you were observant enough, I don't think people fearing for their life are paying attention to such things. Great prank though.

id still rather have an OLED Samsung though

Minute detail? Like that the picture doesn't move at all compared to the window frame? I know what you mean by the perspective not changing at a distance, but just try looking out a real window and move. You would spot in an instant the difference between a flat surface at 2 meters and a cityscape 1 km away. I don't think you're thinking this through properly if you think that the difference would be miniscule. Try it with a real window. As I said, real life is more than just high-res. It moves when you do. It's three-dimensional.

1 person liked this | TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Fake. Entertaining, but fake.

yRaz yRaz said:

well if it is fake like tomsea said, then that's that but it did give me an interesting thought. What if people didn't notice because they so use to looking at screens? I know my first thought when I look a picture of a landscape isn't," jeez, I wish I could look side to side in this."

MilwaukeeMike said:

The other thing we don't know is how many people didn't fall for it. They may have done this a few dozen times before someone fell for it.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

I don't think any of it was real.

Sir Alex Ice Sir Alex Ice said:

Look at the closest window to you. It has hinges, swivels and is transparent. None of which are present on the LG TV though they could have easily been faked.

Instead, this video is entirely a lie.

General Sam General Sam said:

Imagine them doing this for real and the people don't know and some how they panic to the point where a chair flies at that nice expensive TV.

Oh I'd have egg on my face.

1 person liked this | Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Wow People, It was a bloody prank, even if it was a Lie it was entertaining and to be honest, I highly doubt they interviewed people who care about window hinges and the like, sure, we see the video from the camera's perspective and look into the details a lot more but the person in the room probably thought they really were going for an interview and just don't care about the angle of the window -_-

Emexrulsier said:

Have some of you go super bionic eyes or something. This could be totally plausible just look out the window and look left and right the whole outside field of view doesn't change so dramitic compared to a tv view. Only if you physically stood up and walked to the window to look outside and around would you have noticed.

Khanonate said:

One of the interviewed person was highly pissed.

RenGood08 RenGood08 said:

Yeah...honestly...you can tell people were told to act like that. But I must say, the clarity in that tv is incredible.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Perhaps the job interview was for acting or for a job at LG. This is a publicity stunt so take it for what it's worth.

2 people like this | MrBungle said:

Is it really a "post-apocalyptic prank" if the trick is making the interviewees think the apocalypse is happening, if I'm not mistaken "post" typically refers to after the fact?

Anyways, hilarious video none the less.

"Seems highly unlikely that this is real. Anyone actually standing in that room would find it odd that when they move their bodies or their heads, the background doesn't make a massive shift with respect to the window frame. The picture is two-dimensional and static, in other words. Reality is more than just resolution. In fact, at the distance that these people were from the screen, they probably didn't even need 4k."

"Minute detail? Like that the picture doesn't move at all compared to the window frame? I know what you mean by the perspective not changing at a distance, but just try looking out a real window and move. You would spot in an instant the difference between a flat surface at 2 meters and a cityscape 1 km away. I don't think you're thinking this through properly if you think that the difference would be miniscule. Try it with a real window. As I said, real life is more than just high-res. It moves when you do. It's three-dimensional"

--> you can't tell whether you could notice it's a display or a window unless this prank happens to you, when you're about to be interviewed you will pay less your attention to the details around you as at that moment your brain only focused to your interviews

misor misor said:

It's like a 'burning' screen of the moviehouse when in fact it's just the 'film' catching fire and projected unto screen..

people know that but people still suffer from panic or mass hysteria. (I'm one of them).

about the interview:

when you have an interview, you have an eye to eye contact with the interviewer. you don't focus at the door or the window except maybe for a glance or two. so when something disastrous catches your eye, hysteria immediately sets in.

the 9'11 tragedy tells us something. people not believing at first. then the truth sets in.

while the prank is 'staged' and 9'11 tragedy is real, both involve an overwhelming emotion resulting from two different dreadful visual stimuli.

soldier1969 soldier1969 said:

I would have noticed it was a tv before the meteor coming down. But yeh most people wouldn't have paid any attention to it. Nice job LG.

Darren01 said:

That can't be ture, by the way, this is my first time to be here, hope to join yours

Camikazi said:

Instead, this video is entirely a lie.

A lot of building windows don't open at all and do look like this. Those are more for light than anything else since they have central heating and cooling in the building.

I know when I go to an interview I am focused, I make sure to make good eye contact with the interviewer. I'm not paying attention to the window. Once you're sitting it would definitely look like a window.

Another thing is the interviewees are walking straight into the room in front of a window showing a distanced landscape. If they had walked in from the side or if there was buildings viewable across the street from the building... then it would be very apparent that it was a television.

I think it is very possible that in this situation, the prank could be successful on most people. I bet I would have fallen for it. However it is a commercial by a corporation, so it is most likely fake regardless.

1 person liked this | Beezy Beezy said:

You know how you can tell that it's fake? Because it would be highly unethical to do this to someone who traveled for what they thought was a real interview but instead end up in a commercial for a big tv.

dennis777 dennis777 said:

I will sue LG if this happens to me

Emexrulsier said:

I will sue LG if this happens to me

You don't happen to be American do you ?