Yahoo Mail celebrates Sweet 16 birthday with bevy of new features

By on October 8, 2013, 12:30 PM
yahoo, flickr, e-mail, makeover, themes, yahoo mail

Yahoo Mail is celebrating its Sweet 16 birthday and you’re invited. To honor the occasion, Yahoo is offering users a wealth of new Mail features across the desktop, Android and iOS – many of which were previously only available in the $19.99-per-year Mail Plus version according to a post on Yahoo’s official Tumblr.

Now-free features include disposable e-mail addresses, enhanced filters and automatic message forwarding. What’s more, Yahoo is upping the amount of storage per account to 1TB.

Elsewhere, the redesign includes a new Conversations view for those that prefer to view messages grouped in threads. Yahoo notes that being able to see a full conversation in a single view could save you a bit of time.

Yahoo also made common tasks even easier. For example, activities like searching, starring and deleting are now one-click actions that appear when you hover over a message. Additionally, the left toolbar is now collapsible to give you more real estate when working on incoming or outgoing e-mails.

Last but not least, Yahoo is rolling out visually rich themes, some of which are curated Flickr photos. The themes will work across all platforms, so if you add a new look to your desktop, it’ll automatically appear across all your devices.

The updated Yahoo Mail is available in English in the US, Canada, UK, Philippines, Malaysia, India, Ireland, New Zealand and South Africa with more countries and languages coming soon. The mobile apps are available globally today on iOS, Android and Windows 8, we’re told.

psycros psycros said:

And still charging for POP3/IMAP access. Nothing to see here, move along.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I hate the new UI. Looks all washed out and difficult to read. These guys are dead in the water.

1 person liked this | Lurker101 said:

You left out one of the biggest features of Yahoo! mail. These days, you don't have to worry about accidentally deleting important emails because they're all backed up on NSA databases.

insect said:

I like the disposable e-mail option. Need to register for a site once? Done and no spam to go with it.

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Lol, I got pissed at first because I thought it broke my browser. Need to hurry and upgrade my OS or something

Thanks yahoo you've done it again. First you don't warn anyone of a change. Then feature flash over function, great business model and way to be customer friendly. Next you delete features. No longer can I chose print size in an exact size, now small, med, large. Also can't choose font type. And when I compose a letter the save draft feature has disappeared. Finally found that when I had to cancel on effort. When I clicked cancel, it then offered to save it.

And no ability to put an automatic line between paragraphs if I chose, but I can use an emoticon. Function goes, but idiocy remains. I am not smiling

What is the matter with you people, are you trying to push everyone to gmail? Consider me almost there.

At the very least you could explain things and offer assistance. But why do things right when you can screw your clients. No wonder there are so many stories about how Yahoo has financial problems.

I try to be polite, but why bother. You people there are MORONS.

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

I like the stacked email thing somewhat. Took me a while to notice that

tonylukac said:

They go from like 0.5 gb to 1 tb? Did they up the ante? I wonder if my sbcglobal yahoo email address is now 1 tb. Wonder if attachments can be greater than 5 mb or whatever they were. Never liked to store those emails on the server because services like earthlink had such small limits and often resulted in the message mailbox full. Maybe gmail will keep up.

I have had a Yahoo mail account since when they were the big player on the internet many years ago however I really don't like these changes. You can get No Ad Email for $50 a year, um, no thanks. The themes make it harder to read anything and you can't disable them. I'm glad this is not my primary email.

tonylukac said:

If you don't like the look, you can use it with pop servers and outlook (express) or windows mail, if that's what windows 7 and beyond have.