Left 4 Dead 2 free on Steam until tomorrow

By on December 25, 2013, 7:50 PM
valve, steam, pc gaming, left 4 dead 2

In celebration of the holiday season, Valve is offering Left 4 Dead 2 free on Steam until 1 PM Eastern Time tomorrow (Thursday 26th). The deal is part of the Steam Holiday Sale, which offers massive savings on games between December 19th and January 3rd.

Unlike the usual free game Steam weekends, which allow you to play the game for free for a limited time, if you download Left 4 Dead 2 during the promotion it will add to your library, allowing you to play it free forever. It may not be the newest game, but for the grand total of $0 it sure is good value.

Left 4 Dead 2  88 is Valve's critically acclaimed co-op first person shooter released in 2009, with a focus on killing hordes of zombie-like Infected. The title is available for Xbox 360 as well as Windows, Mac OS X and Linux, however the game is only available for free today on the latter platforms.

As well as the sale, Valve has added in a new achievement to the game that anyone can get, called "Ghost of Christmas Present". To get the achievement, you have to help another player through a campaign who obtained the game for free during this promotion.

Head to the Steam Store today to grab a copy of Left 4 Dead 2 today, although watch out for heavy server loads, which at times are making it hard to access the Store.

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

Cool note, thanks!!!

I went and grabbed it.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

The announcement of the free L4D2 actually crashed Steam for a bit earlier in the day. At least it did for a couple of my friends who were trying to get it.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I grabbed it as well. Thanks for the heads up. (y)

penn919 said:

Yeah, I was trying to get on ealier today and noticed. So that's what that was all about?

L4d2 crashed steam. confirmed. happened few hours ago.

JC713 JC713 said:

L4d2 crashed steam. confirmed. happened few hours ago.

Yeah it went out right when it was announced.

I picked it up. I never bought it for PC because I had already played it a lot on Xbox.

Ha! This is amazing. I didn't see this deal advertised anywhere on Steam and I've been browsing a couple times per day for the last few days. I only saw it on this TechSpot page utterly by accident.

You see I have 300 browser tabs open (but not loaded) in FireFox, and I was finally getting around (after a couple months) to going through them and closing any I no longer need open. Well... I came to this open TechSpot page, let it load to see if there was any info I needed before I closed it, and wouldn't you know it... this article mentioning the free Left 4 Dead 2 on Steam, was at the top of the list.

LOL. Thanks TechSpot. :-)

RzmmDX said:

Lol that explains why my Civ 5 achievements weren't showing...

Now I need people to play left 4 dead with???

Khanonate said:

L4d2 crashed steam. confirmed. happened few hours ago.

No wonder, I can't go to the Steam store...L4D2 Crashed Steam server!

Spykezxp Spykezxp said:

Had this on my list and finding out that it was free made it so much better. Thanks TechSpot

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

That's very kind of them and appreciated but I much prefer single player games, and on a physical medium.

Thanks for the new on this, I'm downloading it right now.

TheBigFatClown said:

LOL. Thanks TechSpot. :-)

You sir, you have a disease. Fear of losing relevant data. Same one I do. So I can relate.

1 person liked this | penn919 said:

LOL. Thanks TechSpot.

Jeez, you ever heard of bookmarks? You know, you can delete them later if you don't need them. Much more practical than leaving 300 tabs open. Good lord.

Having a boat load of tabs is fine if you have a vertical/side tab add-on.

I'm not sure I'll play much L4D2, but I grabbed it anyways. It's pretty cool to see a game spring back to life so easily, over a hundred thousand concurrent players atm. And that's up from like five thousand normally.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Who has time for games when they have 300 tabs to sort through?

misor misor said:

Thanks for the info, some of my friends could not pass up the limited free grab of l4d2.

...they are waiting for l4d1 free grab, too! (as if it will happen soon )

electromagnetic electromagnetic said:

Alright some of you friend me on Steam.

If you want PM me for my I.D. then play as friends, anyone know if Tha General got it ????