Dell prices 28-inch 4K Ultra HD monitor at just $699

By on January 8, 2014, 11:45 AM

Last month Dell introduced new 32- and 24-inch 4K Ultra HD monitors but what really got us excited was the promise of a 28-incher in the sub $1,000 range early this year. True to its word, the company has introduced said monitor at the Consumer Electronics Show at the ultra aggressive price of just $699.

It’s known as the P2815Q and it contains an IPS LED display boasting a full 4K resolution of 3,840 x 2,160 that promises the same “screen performance” as the two UltraSharp 4K models announced last month (those start at $1,400, mind you). The 28-inch screen will be height-adjustable and users can even rotate it to portrait view if they so choose.

Dell has yet to announce full specifications on the monitor so things like refresh rate and input options are unknown at this hour. A poor refresh rate could limit the usefulness of the P2815Q in gaming, but let’s not jump ahead of ourselves. It’s probably a safe bet that we’ll see DisplayPort as one input option, however.

We’re still in the very early stages of 4K technology both in terms of software and hardware but there are still several non-entertainment uses for such monitors. For example, they’d serve as an excellent replacement for a traditional multi-monitor display thanks to the added screen real estate. And if you do have the graphics processing power, gaming would look out of this world at max resolution.

The Dell P2815Q will go on sale starting January 23 and be sure to check back for our review of the 32-inch Dell UltraSharp in the near future.

Nima304 said:

Looks like I'm skipping 2560x1440, then. This monitor is more reasonably priced than some of the 1440p monitors I've been looking at.

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

Video Card would need to be able to take advantage of this monitor. Still if 4K coming down that usually means 8K is on it's way in. But all these monitors will be replaced by the new Translucent LCD TS Monitor. Now where talking..

theBest11778 theBest11778 said:

Give me the 32" at $1000 and I'm sold

OK, I'll be that guy.

"boasting a full 4K resolution of 3,840 x 2,160"

This is incorrect. 4K is 4,096 pixels wide. 3,840 x 2,160 is UHD.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

Guess I know what to tell my job I need. Hard for me to explain why I'd need a Catleap, but this I can make a business case for.

3 people like this | Raoul Duke Raoul Duke said:

OK, I'll be that guy.

"boasting a full 4K resolution of 3,840 x 2,160"

This is incorrect. 4K is 4,096 pixels wide. 3,840 x 2,160 is UHD.

Like it wasn't confusing enough, according to Wikipedia these are the "Standardized Resolutions":

4K Ultra high definition television 3840 x 2160 1.78:1 (16:9)

4K Ultra wide television 5120 x 2160 2.37:1 (21:9)

4K WHXGA 5120 x 3200 1.60:1 (16:10)

Digital Cinema Initiatives 4K (native resolution) 4096 x 2160 1.90:1 (256:135) ~17:9

DCI 4K (CinemaScope cropped) 4096 x 1716 2.39:1

DCI 4K (flat cropped) 3996 x 2160 1.85:1

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

IM interested in this because of the price, however I want to see the total system specs before I jump the gun. But I like the price of this for sure!

1 person liked this | TitoBXNY TitoBXNY said:

Time to replace my almost 9 year old Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW.

mizkitty said:

Full specs already leaked...this is TN not IPS...so pass even @ $699...

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I too have read in a couple places that it will be a TN panel and not IPS. I've also read that it will have a 30hz refresh rate at the UHD resolution, and 60hz at FHD... I was kind of excited by the monitor, but not nearly as much now that I've read around some more. =(

Full specs already leaked...this is TN not IPS...so pass even @ $699...

I was hoping it was IPS. I will have to wait and see how the reviews come back.

JC713 JC713 said:

Awesome stuff. This would go great with next gen GPUs and games, which are going to be geared towards 4K.

VitalyT VitalyT said:

I wouldn't believe this, because it definitely will have a DisplayPort 1.2, which can handle 4K at 60Hz.

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Right, but it might be clocked to match HDMI standards, and if that standard is HDMI 1.4, that is good only up to 30Hz, and that's what I've read.

However if they have different refresh rates depending on the port, then all is not lost.

VitalyT VitalyT said:

To put it otherwise, ASUS, Lenovo and others are rolling out cheap (under $1000) monitors, and they all have proper refresh rates. With that competition DELL won't be able to sell a product that doesn't support 60Hz.

[link]

30hz. Useless.

Blue Falcon said:

Specs in the article are wrong. This monitor is a TN panel + 30 Hz refresh rate. Garbage for games. Wouldn't pay $199 for this monitor.

SparkMasterB SparkMasterB said:

OK, I'll be that guy.

"boasting a full 4K resolution of 3,840 x 2,160"

This is incorrect. 4K is 4,096 pixels wide. 3,840 x 2,160 is UHD.

But... But... Marketing!

4k is more, and more is better, right?

30hz. Useless.

Even more useless is the fact most applications are not optimized (I'm looking at you, Chrome) for this Ultra HD monitor.

Phr3d said:

I see that all the early adopters have Died - first release, affordable and it's Not perfect? shudder..

wish I could remember a notable comment RE 1080p and/or LCD replacing CRTs.. thankfully those poorly performing platforms all evaporated for lack of interest..

/sarcasm

Raoul Duke Raoul Duke said:

Looks like 4K WHXGA 5120 x 3200 1.60:1 (16:10), covers all the others if you don't mind the black lines above and below the picture, which I don't. 30 Hz? What a waste to even make such a monitor.

@Guest who said this isnt true 4k . 4K at 16:9 is 3840 x 2160, 4K at 17:9 is 4096 x 2160

Raoul Duke Raoul Duke said: