0x00000024 Error message on booting computer

pulledpork

(Sorry in advance for not being particularly good with computers, so I'll need extra help in explaining any acronyms)

Hi, I recently built my computer last week and started running windows 7 64-bit without any issues. It was up and running fine for about 2 days until I started to play League of Legends. That was when I started having my game crash consistently and also have the computer say that it was going to dump memory. Now, when I got the blue screen then, I wasn't able to copy down anything because it did it's physical dump and then restarted itself. Not knowing what it could be, I decided to go straight ahead and reformat the computer thinking it could be a software issue. Not having much that I put into the computer in terms of data since it was only 2 days; I thought it would be a great idea to get another fresh start should it have been a software issue. Also, before the reformat I did try to reboot the computer and it did, but as soon as I did anything to process any program it would become unstable (gave me about 40 secs from when windows loaded and any action before crashing), and give me the blue screen. It almost seemed like windows itself was extremely unstable.

Now the problem is, I try to install Vista (in order to upgrade to 7) and I get an error message sometime while the computer is expanding the files. It gives me this message:

STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001904ab, 0x81D7C644, 0x81D7C340, 0x810DF489)
Ntfs.sys – Address 810DF489 base at 810c7000, DateStamp 4549aceb

I don't know what this means because it's just garble to me, but if someone else has any suggestions or steps (step by step because I'm not computer savvy) I would very very much appreciate it. Also, all the hardware is compatible because while it was running, it didn't show any conflicts in the hardware manager. Let me know if you think it's just a bad hard drive or something else I can replace since I literally just built it in the last week and got the parts then as well. Thank you so much!

-David

I have no idea how to do that. When I said I am not computer savvy I really mean it. I really apologize for being baby steps, but I could use the extra TLC. I'll poke around the PC to try to find it. If I can't find it, hopefully someone will have responded in the time I try to search and run the test suggested.

-David

Okay, then open your side panel to your case and look at your harddrive. Tell us the make of it and we'll take it from there.

It's a Hitachi Deskstar 3.5" 1TB 7200RPM SATA II 32MB Cache Internal Hard Drive 0F10383.

-Just as an update, I did take out one stick of RAM, installed vista, and now everything is running fine. I did manage to google and find the checkdisk function, which I am running through the night. I haven't asked my computer to do anything grueling as of yet, but so far so good. I'll have to put in the stick of RAM that I removed and test both the RAM sticks(have yet to figure out to do that, but I heard I could download memtest86 and run it off a CD at bootup) to see if if they are good too; perhaps it was a temporary system glitch altogether? I also noticed that right before I removed the RAM, that although it looked like it was fully seated, the release latch was still raised by about 0.5 mm. Perhaps that could've been it?

I've tried testing the RAM with memtest86, and it doesnt' seem to work. Or rather I should say it runs and then it freezes and spits out the same number over and over like it hit a loop. I waited quite sometime and it didn't seem to make any progress. Should I assume that the mem test I downloaded and ran was faulty? Also, more importantly does the error message seem to make sense with the fact that the one of the sticks of RAM was just ever so slightly raised by a fraction of a millimeter? Thanks for all the help so far Route 44!

Try running the test per stick or RAM, i.e. on stick installed and run Memtest for 7 Passes. Then uninstall current stick and install the second, run memtest for 7 on that one. Let us know the results.

Back