$10 million Dota 2 eSports tournament to air on ESPN this weekend

Shawn Knight

Staff member

dota esports espn valve gaming streaming dota 2 gabe newell tournament the international

Valve on Friday announced they've partnered with ESPN for coverage of The International Dota 2 Championships. The event will be streamed live over ESPN3, the network's online branch, while a preview of the final match will air on ESPN2 starting Sunday at 8:30 pm Pacific.

This year's tournament is being held at the sold out KeyArena in Seattle with a prize pool of more than $10 million, the largest ever for a competitive gaming tournament.

Coverage will be accessible via WatchESPN.com on desktops, the WatchESPN app on smartphones and tablets and streamed on televisions through Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, Xbox 360, and Xbox One. Note that in order to access the stream, your cable or Internet provider will need to be an affiliated service provider of ESPN.

The Sunday ESPN2 broadcast will include a preview of the tournament's final match as well as expert analysis, highlights from the game and an interview with Valve's Gabe Newell.

The fact that The Worldwide Leader In Sports is giving eSports airtime is significant although the timing of the event also likely had a lot to do with it.

Aside from major league baseball, there isn't really much going on this time of year as it relates to sports. The start of college football and the NFL is still over a month away while the NBA and NHL don't start back up until October. You might as well air something new, right?

That said, do you believe competitive gaming, or eSports, is a real sport?

Permalink to story.

Eh, it's kind of like golf. Not a sport, but more of a competitive activity.

Either way, it's tough as nails to get to the highest level and make a lot of money, just like most sports so I have a lot of respect for professional eSports players and definitely have my favorite teams/players. Twitch.tv is my entertainment most nights.

It's not at all like golf. Golf meets the fundamental qualifier of sport (coordinated use of the entire human physiology); eSports does not.

It's not at all like golf. Golf meets the fundamental qualifier of sport (coordinated use of the entire human physiology); eSports does not.

Why not?

Competitive physical/dexterous activity? Check
Test of physical/mental endurance? Check
Maintain or improve ability and skill? Check
Provides entertainment for spectators? Check
Has defined set of rules? Check

Seems like a sport to me.

Hell even Chess and Bridge are recognized sports by the Olympic committee. Are those not sports too?

Why not?

Hell even Chess and Bridge are recognized sports by the Olympic committee. Are those not sports too?

Reexamine my qualifier. By the checklist of items you've put forward, even music, derivatives trading, and writing could be considered sports. I also hold the position that chess and bridge are cognitive sports and thus erroneously categorized by the Olympic committee. At best, they are exceptions to the rule.

I love video games, but staring at a screen is not a sport.
Do something with the Oculus and that contraption that lets you move on rollers to simulate walking and running could maybe possibly be a sport...

Exactly, DOTA "eSports" is a cognitive sport and therefore a sport. Don't try to refute what screams in your face.

Why not?

Reexamine my qualifier. By the checklist of items you've put forward, even music, derivatives trading, and writing could be considered sports. I also hold the position that chess and bridge are cognitive sports and thus erroneously categorized by the Olympic committee. At best, they are exceptions to the rule.

Any "sport" where teenagers can beat adults is not a real sport. That would include many Olympic events, golf, swimming, and e-sports. I guess tennis is borderline but the best are adults.

To me, the ultimate sport would be 2v2 mixed martial arts. To win would be a combination of skill, intelligence, teamwork and physicality. Not too many BS arbitrary rules to decide a winner.

Exactly, DOTA "eSports" is a cognitive sport and therefore a sport. Don't try to refute what screams in your face.

I'll refute anything that smacks of falsity – and this smacks of falsity. A sport and a cognitive sport are two different classes of game and therefore not the same.

Sport (proper) – A game or activity that requires an athlete to coordinate the actions of his entire body to the achievement of a defined goal.
Cognitive sport – A competitive game or activity primarily involving the mind.

There are thus two important distinctions between an actual sport and a cognitive sport: 1) the participation of a physical athlete 2) use of the whole body as the primary means of achieving the goal.

Because eSports, by definition, do not meet these criteria, they are not sports. The only way they can be properly classed as sports is if they adopt an athletic component as the core means of achievement, as @hahahanoobs pointed out.

To help clarify the distinction between a sport and a cognitive sport, I will demonstrate with an example from biology, which will perhaps better illuminate my position: Fish and land mammals are both animals and vertebrate. Nevertheless, an aquarium isn't a zoo.

The same relationship exists here.

Chess and Darts are classified as sports as well and there are many non-contact sports too!

Darts fits the definition of a sport, as do most non-contact sports. Chess, as mentioned earlier, is improperly classed.

You think any teenager can beat lebron? or teenage lebron can beat current lebron? American football, teenagers would get murdered.

You think any teenager can beat lebron? or teenage lebron can beat current lebron? American football, teenagers would get murdered.

I think that me and a friend played basketball against my friend's father and his co-worker when we were teenagers and won. Therefore, basketball isn't a real sport:

Any "sport" where teenagers can beat adults is not a real sport.

A sport is a sport who care whether it's cognitive or physical.

- Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively

Now lets all post different definitions of the word sport and argue about it!

Actual Tech Spot User and Not Guest

Panda218

A sport is a sport who care whether it's cognitive or physical.

- Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively

Now lets all post different definitions of the word sport and argue about it!

Well, there's this line from the original article: "That said, do you believe competitive gaming, or eSports, is a real sport?"

So, the question should lead us to a binary response? Yes/no? 0/1?

I suppose the necessity and thoroughness of humoring such an inquiry is contingent upon what truly constitutes an answer and differentiates it from a mere "response".... :p

You've gotta be desperate to wanna watch anything like this but competing in it is probably a different story. Call me old fashioned but I certainly don't see video games as a sport, I see it as recreation or a pastime.

Last edited:
WOW $10mill prize money and ESPN coverage, just WOW! And you guys are arguing over if it's a sport or not lol :)

Lets turn typing into the next sport and enter the contestants in the Olympics! Or should it remain categorized as a resume quality or professional asset? Your local zoo deserves 10Mil, more than some lazy gamer.

Rugby.

You've gotta be desperate to wanna watch anything like this but competing in it is probably a different story. Call me old fashioned but I certainly don't see video games as a sport, I see it as recreation or a pastime.

I can say the same about other actual physical sports that are in the Olympics, simply ''desperate'' to watch, but to each their own. Younger generations love it, older hate it, it's like music, movies and pretty much anything that older folks tend to find was better back in the day compared to know. You have simply been outgrown.

This is a new era, deal with it as it is here to stay and over time it will be accepted by more higher percentage of the Worlds population.

If someone finds a value in it, it gets adopted faster. See this new era of crypto-currency. Another example is Marijuana (I know, far out of topic example), the older folks in Governments tend to be more against the legalization, however as you get more younger individuals entering the Government with more "open" mindset, you will see the legalization.

"If Golf/dart can be classified as an athletic activity, then playing PC can too. It's competitive, no doubt about that, and it requires skills. While it may not require the stamina of running a marathon, it requires at least as much concentration, and probably a lot more. I would call it an intellectual sport."

There is a market for it and its generating revenue. It's being widely accepted by more and more people and it's here to stay.

Lets turn typing into the next sport and enter the contestants in the Olympics! Or should it remain categorized as a resume quality or professional asset? Your local zoo deserves 10Mil, more than some lazy gamer.

If there is a market for it then why not? There is a huge difference between typing and gaming, if you can't see that then you are blind. Your local zoo deserves more than average professional football (soccer) player. There are plenty of examples of what causes "deserve" more money than what certain individuals make. The money was raised by the players (see Dota 2 compendium).

You think any high schooler can beat a college student? Experience is a key (of course there is some examples). Comparing a youngster who is working to become a professional basketball player to a fully fledged basketball player is simply moronic.

In terms of football. Well hmm, let see. Comparing someone who has fully developed body to someone who is still in natural development state. Good job!

Competitive SC2/LoL/Dota takes much more intellectual power than most if not all traditional physical sports.

Also a lot of young adults are in the Olympics.

Exercise is advised if you don't want to get hemorrhoids or blood clots, but I suppose not a requirement to achieve the top in gaming or to stay competitive. It's also marketed as "electronic sport" rather than just "sport". A new venue. There are new job titles, sports and so forth being created all the time. It's called "evolution".

Last edited by a moderator:
Only old people would argue that eSports is not an actual sport. Video games HAS come a long way, from your living room into a global event watched by millions.

The real definer is the market, BASEketball can turn into an actual sports if the world choose to do so. Just like any other activity.

On the other hand playing the game for fun does not equal to "sport", so there is that as well.

Well I wouldn't qualify gaming as s sport just has competitive levels, but espn shows thing that aren't sport related all the time, World series of Poker is on ESPN 2 a lot, wouldn't consider poker to be a sport.

Back