137gb limit crashing the PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a PC with Foxconn 45cmx mobo and WD2500JS hard disk. Set it to 250gb gen II mode and everything seems ok

Installation of Win XP sp2 was no problem until I start install more apps and then the blue screen starts coming out. I noticed it was more of an HD I/O error before the system crashes each time thus there was no memory dump made available. Every time before it crash, I can notice the HD slows down or hang before the BS comes out.

So after messing around with it and keeps crashing it for 2 days I split the HD to 2 partition of 120 each and everything seems to be working fine since last night and I have not had a crash since.

Just out of curiosity, does it make sense for the system to be so unstable with big drives (crappy drivers etc) considering that it is not that new a technology anymore and the equipment&drivers are new? I also noted that WDxxxxYS series has a firmware update which sounds pretty close to my problem I think. My concern is that is there any possible defective parts that I need to bring it back to the shop to replace. As of right now everything seems to be working fine

It's in there somewhere.......

In some cases the BIOS must be physically set to LBA (logical block addressing) mode before the full capacity can be detected/used. Some board/BIOS combinations will auto-select this mode when a drive larger than 137GB is detected.

First thing to do is look on the manufacturer or motherboard site to see if they have issued a newer BIOS than what you have. The new BIOS is routine, and usually fixes the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back