1Password can now store 'Sign in with Google' and other SSO services for automatic authentication

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In context: You are probably familiar with the three more prominent single sign-on services (SSO) — "sign in with" Google, Facebook, and Apple, but there are more. In fact, if you want to create an Epic Games account, you can register using those three or with your existing accounts for Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, Nintendo Online, and Steam, giving you seven ways to authenticate your account.

While SSO options offer the convenience of not creating yet another username and password to remember, they do have drawbacks. For one, you do have to give up a little of your privacy when using these authentication services, but earlier this month, we showed you how to revoke permissions to your personal information from the big three. Another problem they pose is remembering which SSO you used for every website you've visited. Signing in with Google can be particularly tricky since those with multiple Google accounts may have forgotten which one they used to register.

Fortunately, the developers at 1Password announced a new feature to help users with these situations. The 1Password manager has always been reliable for storing and retrieving all of your passwords and logging you in automatically. Starting today, users can save their SSO registrations, and 1Password will treat them just like regular passwords. Once saved, 1Password will use those SSOs to log users in automatically. Not only does it remember which SSO service you used for any website, but it also sorts out which of the multiple Google accounts you may have used during registration. The feature is currently in beta but is open for everyone to try.

Recently, there has been a big push to create a "passwordless" internet experience. Apple already has a Passkey feature coming up in iOS 16 and macOS Ventura that utilizes the "fast identity online (FIDO) protocol developed in cooperation with the FIDO Alliance. Google and Facebook have also joined the Alliance and promised to start implementing passkeys later this year. This new authentication method should make signing into any account a seamless experience.

While 1Password does not yet have passkey support, it recently joined the FIDO Alliance and has plans to implement a "universal sign-in" method in the future. Like SSO services, not all websites support passkeys yet. So it might be a while before 1Password releases its solution. In the meantime, existing users can now worry less about what authentication method they use for a given website.

Unfortunately, 1Password is no longer free to use. It switched to a subscription model a while back. Personal accounts run $3 per month, and family subscriptions are $5. New users might be put off by that since so many other free options are available. However, all 1Password subscriptions come with a 14-day free trial, including the Team and Business plans.

Permalink to story.

The problem with things like 1Password is that with randomly-generated passwords, when you're not at home with 1Password to remember for you, you're screwed as far as gaining access to your own online accounts.

The problem with things like 1Password is that with randomly-generated passwords, when you're not at home with 1Password to remember for you, you're screwed as far as gaining access to your own online accounts.
I didn't mention it in the article because it has had the feature for a while now, but 1Password now syncs between devices. Not helpful if you are using someone else's PC, but at least you could look up passwords on your phone while away.

My entire family and a range of friends have been using 1Password for years. From my personal experience, there isn't a better password manager to sync and manage your passwords between all of your devices. Family Netflix account? No problem, it's saved in the "Shared" Vault and accessible for my family members.

I used to use KeePass back in the day, but it just doesn't compare to 1Password. I am a happy customer and glad to see that they are pushing for a more secure "passwordless" internet. Thanks for the article.

My entire family and a range of friends have been using 1Password for years. From my personal experience, there isn't a better password manager to sync and manage your passwords between all of your devices. Family Netflix account? No problem, it's saved in the "Shared" Vault and accessible for my family members.

I used to use KeePass back in the day, but it just doesn't compare to 1Password. I am a happy customer and glad to see that they are pushing for a more secure "passwordless" internet. Thanks for the article.

I use Dashlane but have heard A LOT about 1Password. Might have to look into it.

I don't use this, I use BitWarden, which has the app I can pull the passwords from.
Yup, this is a very good (and free and open-source) password manager. It flawlessly syncs between all devices that the app is present on but also is available to use (in an unsynced offline mode) if you don't have Internet access.

I don't think it has SSO functionality yet.

I use Dashlane but have heard A LOT about 1Password. Might have to look into it.

I also use Dashlane, very happy so far with it TBH. Picked up a year for like 50% off or something a little while back. Not sure how it compares to 1Password though. Both services have very high ratings.

I also use Dashlane, very happy so far with it TBH. Picked up a year for like 50% off or something a little while back. Not sure how it compares to 1Password though. Both services have very high ratings.
I looked at Dashlane but decided against it because (the last time I looked), Dashlane doesn't have folders to organize lists of password entries. As far as I know, Dashlane also only lets you put the website name, the URL, and the password/account name.

Bitwarden provides many more options including authenticator key, folder, secure notes, custom fields, and whether or not the password should be marked as a favorite.

1Password has all of this except the authenticator key but it also has a tag system and labels for better organization. It also lets you link existing entries to each other and to add related files (presumably for keyfiles?) to each entry.

All 3 are perfectly usable and secure. But if I am going to pay and I want the best organization and functionality, I would go for 1Password. If I am going for a free sync-capable app, Bitwarden is my choice.

If I am wrong about Dashlane's capabilities, let me know. It has been a while since I looked at it.

Back