2.5" Laptop HDD in iMac G5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merry Christmas all!

I recently acquired an iMac G5 from a friend to mess around with cuz i never really used a mac before. Its kinds cool but its kinda loud with the CPU fans turning on constantly due to its small and slender size. I was wondering tho why did mac opt to use a SATA 3.5 internal HDD over a 2.5 laptop SATA?? Wouldn't it be smaller in size and produce less heat?? So i have a Seagate 80GB 2.5 SATA i am gonna put in there and was curious if anybody else has done this or tried it.

Ryan

Less costly, and Apple could use an existing technology cheaply.
Heat is not an issue with the 3.5" drive. Many of the laptop drives run "hotter" but neither is a problem. The 3.5" drive is also more reliable and has a longer useful life than does a 2.5" drive.
If you have the Apple install disks, the Seatgate will work great... as will larger Seagate drives up to 130 GB. With a BIOS update, it will take any SATA I hard drive. You will have to check on the Mac site to see if it will take SATA II

The iMac G5s should be able to handle much larger than 130 gigs, I bet the drive in it is 200+.

If you are going to open it up anyway it might be as simple as too much dust buildup causing excessive heat and leading to frequent loud fans. You might also be able to replace the fans with quieter ones. I think it is a mistake swapping a 3.5" hd for a 2.5" hd because it will be slower. I'm confident it is physically possible, but I don't think it is the best course of action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back