27" 1440p 144hz IPS Freesync vs 24" 1080p 144hz IPS Freesync

rsubu98

I am building a PC with the below specs and I need suggestions in getting a perfect monitor for the below specs. I am looking for an IPS panel with Refresh rate more than 75Hz atleast.

Below are the points that I already knew,
  • More PPI means more sharpness. 27 inch 1440p PPI is more than 24 inch 1080p
  • Since I play games, do coding works, read documents. IPS panels with more PPi is best for me.
  • I know that GTX 1660 super card is best for 1080p games and at 1440p it can get an average of 50-60 FPS.
Now my question is:
  1. If I buy a 24" 1080p 144hz IPS Freesync monitor, it might be good for gaming because my GPU can push 100+FPS at 1080p. 144hz with Freesync will match my high FPS and gives a smooth gameplay. BUT I wont be getting a good crispier images for reading, coding works, other MS office works etc.. I cant fit multiple windows on this screen. Multi tasking is limited.
  2. If I buy a 27" 1440p 144hz IPS Freesync monitor, I cant play 1440p games at high FPS. So to get high FPS I would need to lower my game resolution to 1080p. How bad is gaming at 1080p on a 27 inch monitor ?
Out of the above 2 scenarios both has pros and cons and I am not able to decide which one to go for. Are there any alternate approach that you can suggest me ?

My requirements:
  • My budget is limited and I cant spend more on the PC specs that I mentioned below.
  • I need to do multi-tasking (MS office, Coding, Web browsing) and screen quality (IPS) is must. I am ok with any monitor size between 24-27 inch.
  • Monitor refresh rate should be more than 70Hz atleast because my GTX 1660 Super supports more FPS.
  • I prefer FREE-SYNC monitor than G-SYNC monitor, because G-SYNC monitors are costly and latest FREESYNC monitors supports NVIDIA graphic cards.
  • I priority of gaming and other tasks are equal. So I need a monitor that satisfies both my needs.
My PC Specs,
  1. CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core
  2. GPU - NVIDIA GTX 1660 Super
  3. Motherboard - MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4
  4. Memory - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4
  5. SSD - 2.5 inch 250 GB SATA or NVME
  6. Hard disk - 1TB SATA
  7. Case - ATX Mid Tower Case
  8. Power Supply - 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified
  9. IPS panel monitor

YOUR SUGGESTIONS ARE MOST WELCOME !!!!! THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR VALUABLE INPUT

I am building a PC with the below specs and I need suggestions in getting a perfect monitor for the below specs. I am looking for an IPS panel with Refresh rate more than 75Hz atleast.

Below are the points that I already knew,
  • More PPI means more sharpness. 27 inch 1440p PPI is more than 24 inch 1080p
  • Since I play games, do coding works, read documents. IPS panels with more PPi is best for me.
  • I know that GTX 1660 super card is best for 1080p games and at 1440p it can get an average of 50-60 FPS.
Now my question is:
  1. If I buy a 24" 1080p 144hz IPS Freesync monitor, it might be good for gaming because my GPU can push 100+FPS at 1080p. 144hz with Freesync will match my high FPS and gives a smooth gameplay. BUT I wont be getting a good crispier images for reading, coding works, other MS office works etc.. I cant fit multiple windows on this screen. Multi tasking is limited.
  2. If I buy a 27" 1440p 144hz IPS Freesync monitor, I cant play 1440p games at high FPS. So to get high FPS I would need to lower my game resolution to 1080p. How bad is gaming at 1080p on a 27 inch monitor ?
Out of the above 2 scenarios both has pros and cons and I am not able to decide which one to go for. Are there any alternate approach that you can suggest me ?

My requirements:
  • My budget is limited and I cant spend more on the PC specs that I mentioned below.
  • I need to do multi-tasking (MS office, Coding, Web browsing) and screen quality (IPS) is must. I am ok with any monitor size between 24-27 inch.
  • Monitor refresh rate should be more than 70Hz atleast because my GTX 1660 Super supports more FPS.
  • I prefer FREE-SYNC monitor than G-SYNC monitor, because G-SYNC monitors are costly and latest FREESYNC monitors supports NVIDIA graphic cards.
  • I priority of gaming and other tasks are equal. So I need a monitor that satisfies both my needs.
My PC Specs,
  1. CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core
  2. GPU - NVIDIA GTX 1660 Super
  3. Motherboard - MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4
  4. Memory - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4
  5. SSD - 2.5 inch 250 GB SATA or NVME
  6. Hard disk - 1TB SATA
  7. Case - ATX Mid Tower Case
  8. Power Supply - 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified
  9. IPS panel monitor

YOUR SUGGESTIONS ARE MOST WELCOME !!!!! THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR VALUABLE INPUT
Experts in this forum , please help me with this post.

I would get the 1440p panel. I have one and tried gaming at 1080p for higher framerates. It doesn't look as sharp as the native resolution, but it also didn't look that bad either. The good thing is that if you end up getting a higher performing GPU in the future, you can enjoy the sharper resolution and higher framerates.

Currently, I use the LG 27GL850 with a 5700 XT. FreeSync works well, though I do spot some tearing in rare instances. I use TFT Central's color profile and settings with the display and have been very happy with how it performs.

Hope this helps!

Back