2700US Presario Will not power up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Compaq Presario 2700US laptop that has the following symptoms. I suspect its a motherboard issue but would like your advise as well.

Plugged in:

External Power light turns on
Press power button and the bottom left power light comes on.
Battery light amber (charging)
Hold power button down and the left bottom power light goes out.

Battery removed:

Nothing.

This laptop will not power up or show any signs of life. I opened the unit to look for corrosion or maybe a liquid spill and it is clean. No burned items, no observed heated units and no signs of any moisture or corrosion. Owner states nothing was spilled in it it just stoped powering up on day.

Any advise would be helpful. This is my first post to this forum.

is it under warranty?if not than it sounds like the psu must have shorted out or may be something on mobo,either case its not user serviceable or replacable(well not easily especially for a novice),you'll have to get it looked at by a pro or maybe the hp/compaq service centre.

No Warranty!

Basically the customer has abandoned this unit. It is mine to play with. I don't want to send it to a service as they will charge you an arm and a leg. I was hoping to learn a little on my own by dividing and concouring this and maybe even learn something. I know you stated that it is not a friendly user task but would you suggest a few things for me to try?
Can't hurt it. Is there some tests I could pinpoint the problem it is having? A site I could go to for more information or directions on how to troubleshoot this problem?
Thanks in advance

ok so this is an abandoned unit...well the reason i said not to try open it yourself is because its not as easy as opening your desktop cover,finding the fault and replacing it.notebooks are a little more harder than that since everything is packed in so close.anyway,it sounds like the problem only lies with the psu or some ic on mobo,hopefully it should have most of its parts still functional like hdd,cd drive,screen etc.now to access the mobo of a notebook is a tricky task that differs from oem's,you'll have to google around to find out a guide/tutorial that tells you how to open your model notebook it shouldnt be too hard to find but the real problem lies in deciding what you'll do once you do get it open.well all that you could do first is look for any signs of anything shorting out like an ic or something distinguished by a black sutt surrounding it. now unless you own a soldering iron,a multimeter and the schematic for the mobo there isn't much you'll be able to do.either salvage the parts or get it repaired.the problem might be solved by as little as putting a new battery pack in but there are no garauntees that this is where the problem lies so you might waste you time and money without knowing the actual problem.the best advice i can give you is get it looked at by a pro.sorry
good luck with your endeavour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back