32 or 64 bit, that is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

larryiam

Which version should i use 32bit or 64bit? And which is better? and what is the best utility to reformat my hard drive? i am going to transfer computers and i can't take my current os with me so i am going to install i new os on my new computer.
EDIT:Should i go with vista on my new computer?

Note that I had an edit, I accidentaly mixed the two up. Here's how it should be...

For the 32bit/64bit question:
32-bit OS's are best for home computers or computers that have less than 4GB of RAM. 64-bit OS's are best for computers with more than 4GB of RAM, up to 32GB is supported best for stuff like for servers and professional workstations.

As for Vista:
On your new build, I would not get vista yet. Because your PC only has 1GB of RAM and Vista pretty much requires two, and also considering the budget you made your new pc on, it's kind of not worth it, since you already have a copy of XP.

Well...you could just wipe it when you are installing windows, as it gives you the option to delete partitions, but that means that you have to do another format. But it's the best way to get all the data in its proper place. ;)

Are you using an IDE hard drive, or are you using a new one? Because I think your motherboard only has one IDE connector.

well i don't have my new computer yet. i need to transfer my HDD to my new computer untill i can get a new HDD. i have xp pro install cd to use when i get my new computer but i need to figure out how to reformat my HDD so i can install xp on my new computer. so u see?

larryiam said:
well i don't have my new computer yet. i need to transfer my HDD to my new computer untill i can get a new computer. i have xp pro install cd to use when i get my new computer but i need to figure out how to reformat my HDD so i can install xp on my new computer. so u see?

In Windows: Click "Start" > Right Click "My Computer" > Click "Manage" > Go To the "Disk Management" Tab on the Right > Right Click the Partition you want to format and Click "Format". Simple! :)

Well, I guess you wait until your new computer arrives, then you can install Windows on it. :)

One more question. Is the drive you are trying to format the one that is currently in you computer (the one you installed windows on your current pc with)? If it is, then you cannot format until your new computer arrives.

If that is the case, then to format outside Windows XP:
0. Boot up your pc.
1. Put WIndows XP into the CD Drive.
2. Wait for it to load up on the screen.
3. Select the choice to install windows.
4. You will appear at a prompt to format your hard drive.
5. Assuming you have your hard drive installed on your new pc, delete the partition on it (it will give you the choice at the disk partition screen.).
6. Now, in the free space on the hard drive, create a new partition on the hard drive (It will give this selection in the menu as well).
7. Select the new partition and select whatever looks like "Install windows on this partition".

yea i was going to wait just needed advice. thanks to by the way!! yes its the drive im using now. and i will use ur advice! :stickout:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back