32 to 64 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an XPS 410 Can I upgrade it to 64 bit or do I need to get a new mobo? New to building...
No, you should be able to install a 64 bit OS on that board. To get to 32 bit only hardware you have to go all the way back to Intel 915 chipsets. What CPU is in that machine? That's a quick way to tell. A 64 bit capable CPU won't run at all in a 32 bit board

Since my work PC just happens to be a Dell XPS 410 running windows vista x64, I'd give you the thumbs up!(unless it is a very good fake:)) :grinthumb

I followed a link someone posted to get my chip set this is all I got.
P965 Express
Mem contr 82P965
I/O Intel 82801HH I/O controller hop Ich8dh
Sata controller found in raid mode

Is that enough to know? I found a link on Tiger that said I should be able to tell my chip but under system in control panal I did not have the same thing the web site said I should be able to see.
64 bit is better than 32 right?
The only thing I've done to this is add a Gforce 9800 GT and I have 4g's ram, which ofcourse it only reads 3.
This is an awesome site, thanks for the help.

The >> Intel << P965 "Express" chipset is 64 bit capable.

A 64 bit OS enables you to utilize more RAM, and some people report faster operation with it.

You need to check out the software applications you wish to run under 64 bit, to see if they're compatible before you make the move

Also, make sure your motherboard has 64 bit compatible drivers available for it.

I mainly play wow, and like to watch video's, and home office. Is it worth it to go to 64 bit?
Also How do I check for drivers for that?

It probably isn't worth it for you to go with a 64 ,bit OS, with the uses you describe. 4GB or more of RAM is normally utilized by very,very large files in Photoshop, or hi-def video >> encoding<<, and extreme multi-tasking. If you can pull up task manager while you're working, see exactly how much RAM is being used.

Sometimes in pre-built computers such as your Dell, as someone else mentioned, drivers may not be available for OS versions that were not available at the time the PC was sold.

In other words, if your PC shipped with XP, then XP 32 bit, and possibly XP 64 bit drivers may be all you'll find. If Vista drivers are available, they >>might << work, but it's sort of a crap shoot. You can also download M$'s "Windows 7 upgrade adviser" software, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...90-7659-4BD9-9E51-2497C146AF15&displaylang=en that will tell you if drivers are, or will be available for your particular machine.

That said, I wouldn't build a new PC without a 64 bit OS. However, I'd think long and hard before I decided to retrofit my older machines with one.

Old single core AMD X64 can run Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on 1GB of RAM if you want run the basic Aero Theme will work if the Video Card like AGP 8x with 256MB DDR2 will work. Even on-board Video will work too. Until Windows 7 comes out with SP1 to fix the 4GB being displayed as 3.xGB free 4GB is more than enough. I have 3 of them here that can go 8GB each but how much items can use 8GB. Sure Video Editing, PHoto Editing, CAD Designs, Large Database and Spreadsheets. Or IBM WebSphere.

Most home users can get by with the 4GB on the 64-bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back