32bit 4ram: Games and videos working fine. 64bit 8ram: Games and videos stuttering

I used to be able to play Battlefield 4 (heavy game) on medium to high settings without the game stuttering whatsoever. Recently I upgraded to 64bit and 8 RAM. Even though the game is supposed to run better - it runs worse. I can barely run it when I'm on the lowest settings. Note that videos in media players and YouTube are stuttering too. I ran an antivirus scan (even though just formatted) and my computer is clean.

Intel® Core™ i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz, 8 RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6700

How about on the desktop? if you just click around your computer (e.g. opening folders / files) does your computer lag / stutter?

If possible take a look at the resource monitor to see if there is spike in CPU processing or RAM usage?

Also run some tests on your HDD, could be a sign that your HDD is failing.

How about on the desktop? if you just click around your computer (e.g. opening folders / files) does your computer lag / stutter?

If possible take a look at the resource monitor to see if there is spike in CPU processing or RAM usage?

Also run some tests on your HDD, could be a sign that your HDD is failing.
Other than games and videos - my computer does not lag at all.

Will you please help me with the CPU spike and/or HDD? I'm not too knowledgeable about these.

You can always use the built in resource monitor from windows. Simply press CTRL+ALT+DEL and select start task manager and choose the tab Performance.

Your computer should just be jumping between <10% and 0% (if you are doing nothing)

While for the HDD, if you are using WD you can download their lifeguard software and run it to see if you pass the tests.

try it out then let us know.

You can always use the built in resource monitor from windows. Simply press CTRL+ALT+DEL and select start task manager and choose the tab Performance.

Your computer should just be jumping between <10% and 0% (if you are doing nothing)

While for the HDD, if you are using WD you can download their lifeguard software and run it to see if you pass the tests.

try it out then let us know.
Tried everything and it's as it should be. Still the game stuttering and videos not appearing in HD

Did you upgrade parts in your existing machine? Or did you get a new machine entirely? And when you say you went to 64-bit, what do you mean? Did you upgrade your operating system to 64-bit or are you just running BF4 in 64-bit now where you were running it in 32-bit before?

Did you upgrade parts in your existing machine? Or did you get a new machine entirely? And when you say you went to 64-bit, what do you mean? Did you upgrade your operating system to 64-bit or are you just running BF4 in 64-bit now where you were running it in 32-bit before?
I simply added 4 RAM in addition to the existing 4 RAM (8) and upgraded the operating system properly to 64-bit.

This may sound strange, but sometimes lagging frames and slow speed have been attributed to a massive buildup of dust jammed in either the cpu fan or even near the onboard graphics card in my experience. I'd recommend taking the laptop apart and cleaning it thoroughly and reporting back ...

The question that should be asked would be, is the RAM you currently upgraded to the same as the RAM you already had? I.e Brand/Speed?

RAM that are mismatched have a tendency to not work well with one another. Its also possible that the new RAM may be faulty.

Knowing what RAM you have would be helpful.

I simply added 4 RAM in addition to the existing 4 RAM (8) and upgraded the operating system properly to 64-bit.
Upgrading the operating system does not mean necessarily you are running BF4 in 64-bit. It has a 32-bit executable and 64-bit executable.

To be sure, on "My Games" in Origin, you can right click and select "Game Properties". You can set it to run as x64 if it is not already.

Back