7800GT or 7900GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prevs

I was wondering, does anyone know if theirs a significant difference in performance between the 7800 GT and 7900 GT i'm planning on getting a used 7800 on ebay but the 7900 is slightly higher in cost. I'm a newbie when it comes to graphics cards so any info will be appreciated.

Hey Prevs

Well the 7900 is alot better in performance because it has more Pixel Pipelines and I think the shader technology is up to 3 and the 7800 is 2 ( not sure of that but I think it is... )

It really depends on what games you want to play, If you want to play Oblivion get the 7900 and you can run at Full with a nice resolution with standard Frames per second at 55 or so

But if you play just Counterstrike and Day of Defeat get the 7800 because it will work perfect for it and you'll have enough money left over to buy Half-life :haha:

I am an owner of the 7800gt (see my system specs in my profile for the rest of my system). It is a great card. I play games on high to mid-high settings with great framerates. With the 7800GT you will have a great gaming card for any game on the market now.

The advantage of the 7900GT is you'll be able to keep it longer before your next upgrade.

And the next wise upgrade would be a DX10 card. I'm sure that a 7800GT would be an excellent card :grinthumb

Well the 7900 is alot better in performance because it has more Pixel Pipelines and I think the shader technology is up to 3 and the 7800 is 2 ( not sure of that but I think it is... )

The 7800GT uses the same SM3.0 technology :)

thanks for the help all, with DX10 games come out does that mean that my a 7800 or 7900 cant play it becasue they support DX9b.

At the moment, most developers won't build games that require DX10 hardware to run, at least not until the new DX10 cards are fully out the door and have established a base. Until then, games that support DX10 will also support DX9

The major difference in the 7800GT and the 7900GT is that the 7800GT runs a lot hotter since NVIDIA changed the architecture to make the 7900GT run more cooler. Also, the 7900GT is a better performer than the 7800GT, also due to the new architecture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back