8 Step Steam Client "Trojan"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last few games I've downloaded through the Steam client have elicited a trojan warning from my AVG antivirus. I can't remember the exact name, but I think it was Generic 8 HEY, or something like that. I healed it successfully in one, but another game with a larger file won't work after I heal it. I haven't had any other problems with my computer other than this. My AVG finds nothing beyond these in my full scan. Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware found nothing. Could my AVG be finding a false virus since Steam provides internet gameplay? Thanks.

Delete AVG and install and run Avast free antivirus... If you are "clean" you can re install AVG. I do see some suspicious things in the hijack log. Most of these can just weaken your systems immunity to other more serious attacks

Avast found no infections in C:, although it was unable to scan my D: partition, but that has always been the case. I think my D: partition separately operates the home media program that I can boot to by pressing the button with a house icon on it, even when my computer is shut down; I don't really use it though. The only other thing I can think of is that sometimes my computer runs checkdisk before it goes to windows, juggles two shader files, but always resolves itself. Other than that, I have seen no ill effects or broken functions or programs in anything.

Should I stick with Avast, or try another antivirus program? It seems to work well, although I don't like its registration process of having to register before 60 days and then having to renew the registration every 14 months. It's not a big deal, just a minor inconvenience.

"The only other thing I can think of is that sometimes my computer runs checkdisk before it goes to windows, juggles two shader files, but always resolves itself"...

This could indicate that the hard drive is slowly failing. The D partition could be a computer "Restore" volume. Back up your important data soon. You might want to consider the option of replacing the drive and reinstalling Windows fresh. The Avast registration is fast... but annoying. They say a year, but it seems like I have to do it every 3 months...

"Should I stick with Avast, or try another antivirus program?"...

Free Avast is better and way more versitle than most free antivirus programs out there. I just found Advanced SystemCare free, and I still use CCleaner

This could indicate that the hard drive is slowly failing. The D partition could be a computer "Restore" volume. Back up your important data soon. You might want to consider the option of replacing the drive and reinstalling Windows fresh.
That could be the case. When I opened a PDF for classwork this morning, it opened briefly then closed all the PDFs that I had open last night but closed earlier, as if it "forgot" that I had closed them. When I clicked one of them in Recent Items, it opened them all again, but I manually closed each. It hasn't done that since. I deleted all my Recent Items and ran Malwarebytes and Avast on Recent Items and all my Documents, and found nothing. Then there's the fact that I dropped my computer last year and had to send it in for repairs... I might just buy a new hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back