8 steps completed, still running very slowly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Here's the situation on my computer. A few days ago my computer started running incredibly slow, so slow that sound is distorted or skipping. I ran Norton and it found the trojan.brisv, as far as I can tell I was able to get rid of it. There may be some remnants of it still though. My computer is still running slowly though . I did the 8 steps, a few times, to make sure I got it all, did a defrag and tried to clean up some useless stuff to get the speed back up but it's still running slowly.

I've attached the 3 logs, hopefully one of you helpful people can help me out here. If any further information is required I will do what I can to supply the answer.

Thanks

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    15.8 KB · Views: 5
  • mbam-log-2009-03-09 (18-13-58).txt
    992 bytes · Views: 5
Hi,
Sorry no ones has replyed to you. I looking over your logs now and will be back in a few minutes as its a very big log.

Hang tight

Sorry for the delay, seems there has been a slow down in the ques. Anyhow a few things to mention

I think malwarebytes removed a BHO so we need to remove that.
Go back to HijackThis and click scan only. Then place a tick next to the following:
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
Then press fix and complete that.

The reason your PC is so slow is because you have so much rubbish starting up. Any of this that is needed can be started when needed.

Seeing as though we will use it a bit
Download CCleaner.
There is a user guide and the download here

Go to Tools. Start up.
Then look over the list and disable anything you don't need especially things for hardware like Roxio Cyberlink and Bluetooth if you don't need it.
Also look over that list for

ALCMTR.EXE

This is considered bad and so you should try and deter it.

The main point is you have more than 1 antivirus installed. This can really slow down your PC. The bad thing is as well they are both bad in my opinion. I would uninstall both and Download Avira of NOD 32. Avira is free NOD isn't but its up to you.
If you want to stick with what you have then Use the Norton Removal Tool to remove Norton as this will hog allot of your system speed etc.

Now re scan with what ever Antivirus you choose and make sure no results are brought back. Update and run Malwarebytes and SAS again to make sure. If anything is picked up attach a new log.

Finally scan and clean your system with CCleaner and THEN use the registry cleaner. this will finish the clean up.

Reply with the answer required and attach logs if anything is picked up. Also do you use wildtangent. If not then there will be further clean up required.

Hi,

Here's an update so far,

- fixed the file from hijackthis
- stopped any non essential programs from starting up at start up including ALCMTR.EXE
- removed norton and dled avira, did a scan with avira and fixed the problems it found
- did another scan with malware, nothing found
- scan with SAS found a few things, i will attach log
- did another scan with CCleaner, it just found more cookies from random browsing
- i did a registry clean (what registry cleaner would you reccomend?)

I don't use wildtangent

Computer is still running slow albeit slightly faster then before and sound is still distorted

Have you tried defragging recently? Your HDD can really get bogged down if you don't defrag frequently. If you haven't defragged recently, I would run it at least twice.

This should boost your disk read/write speed.

i did a registry clean (what registry cleaner would you reccomend?

I usually only recommend 2 registry cleaners. The first would be on Tuneup Utilities. This really does a good job of things but its not free. However download the demo and give it a go.

However the reg cleaner on CCleaner is more then adequate for general use.

did another scan with CCleaner, it just found more cookies from random browsing
This is what CCleaner does. So its doing its job good :)

I would do as Dr. Vader suggested. This could give it a nice kick.If Its possible maybe think about a backup and then a reinstall to make the whole thing smooth.

I will take another look at your log. Had a quick scan and mostly AVG has gone but there is some things left so we will take them out. Also it worries me you said you don't use wildtangent as its on your PC.

Just one last thing to ask. Would it be possible to get a log from Avira. You mentioned it picked something up and it would be interesting to know what.

Right due to the points you raised in you last post we have some points to carry out,

Please go back to Hijack-this and click on Scan only

Then place a tick next to the following objects:
Code:
O16 - DPF: {3A7FE611-1994-4EF1-A09F-99456752289D} - http://install.wildtangent.com/ActiveLauncher/ActiveLauncher.cab

Then press fix selected

Then
Please download Viewpoint Killer

Follow these instructions:
Save it to your Desktop
* Create a new folder in your desktop by right clicking on the background > New > Folder > name the folder Viewpoint Killer
* Unzip the contents of the zip file to the newly created folder.
* Open the Viewpoint Killer folder then run Viewpoint Killer, and select File > Do All Killings.
* Follow the prompts, selecting Yes or No, depending on which selection you are most comfortable with.
Viewpoint Killer will now create a log-file in the main hard drive, i.e. C:\.

Then go back to Hijack-This and click on Scan with log file.
Attach both the Hijack-this and the Viewpoint log to your next post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back