8600GT vs 8800GTX vs HD X3870

Status
Not open for further replies.

bj00uk

Hi.

I am thinking of getting a new graphics card my PC as I currently use a integrated one.

I want to know which would be better, I used to have a 8600GT 512mb and that was good but which is better.

512-MB 8600GT or
768-MB 8800GTX or
512-MB Radeon X3870

Which would be recommend as I am watching them all on eBay and have be allowed to make offers for them.

would the Radeon X3870 be a HD 3870 or the an old Radeon?

Thanks in advance, this site always helps

the 8800GTX out of those 3 but you should get a 9800GTX+. the 9800GTX+ has about the same performance as the 8800GTX but its way more power efficient

Thanks for the reply.

I will have a look at the 9800GTX+ but being a student and low on cash I might just stick to the 8800GTX.

What's your budget for the card? The HD 4870 would be a great choice if it fits your budget.

The 8800GTX was a great card, but bear in mind that this model can suffer from issues stemming from dry or cracked solder joints. If you are getting some kind of money back guarantee regarding it's working status then it still would be a very capable card. The HD 3870 is also a nice card but not in the same league as the GTX regarding gaming performance.

Here's Techspot's HD 3870 review (includes 8800GTX benchmarks also)

Thanks everyone, I will look at the 4850's and 4870's
Thanks dividebyzero for the ebay links, seems promising :)
Thanks EXCellR8 for mentioning the 4850

As no one else has mentioned it, make sure your PSU is enough! Since you are going from an integrated GPU to your own dedicated GPU your PSU might not be good enough. Double check to make sure you can handle a 4850/4870, it'd be bad to finally install your GPU and realize you can't power it.

Additional to Relic's comment, you will need a 450 Watt or greater power supply with 75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express power connector for HD 4850. So before going ahead with your purchase decision please have a look at your Power Supply Unit (PSU); and figure out whether you'd need to replace it as well. Regards

Thanks everyone; +1 to everyone;

dustin_ds3000 ; for the 8800gtx and 9800gtx+, and +1 to 4850
Ritwik7 ; for the 4870
dividebyzero ; for the solder joints issue on the 8800gtx, and ebay links
EXCellR8 ; for hinting 4850
Relic ; for PSU
Archean ; for PSU

lol not too long I hope,

if I missed out anyone sorry :(

Would anybody want the opinion of someone with absolutely no idea, and patently doesn't care which video card the OP should buy as a tie breaker? Because I'm absolutely here for you. :rolleyes: In the bllisfully unbiased state of purest apathy

Hi, I will be going for the HD4850, but might wait for a little while and get more money and see if I can get the HD 4870

Something else to consider is the native resolution that your PC screen runs at? (since this is the ideal resolution to run on the screen)
What games are you hoping to play with it?

I have a PC still running a 8800 GTX 768mb and its giving me a good 60-70+ fps in Modern Warfare 2 at 1920x1200. But only around 30 fps in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 single player. I've seen HD4850s for around £75 brand new.

Also check that your PC which has integrated video has a PCI-E slot to allow you to install one of the cards, and as others have already mentioned, verify that your PSU can support the power required by the card. ;)

Hi, I am going to buy a new screen soon as my 15" just does not seem very good for games or even when im designing. Maybe get a 24" 1920 x 1080 px screen.

Yes the mobo has PCI-E, I have a 450W PSU can't see a 6 pin connector so maybe a new PSU aswell

MMm 24" screen, that's a huge jump from where you're coming from. You may just be better off waiting for the 4870 if you're going to use a monitor that large.

You probably right, I need to wait till I get some money for the monitor so Ill wait for the 4870 aswell. Just get both in one go

I'm just gonna throw this out there, An HD5770 would be a little more future proof. They can be found for around $130 now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back