8800 Gtx Or 8800 Gt Sli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rab2140

Hi all . I got crysis the other day and performance on my pc is not bad about 25 to 30 fps on v high and i want to increase my performace i currently have;

1 palit 8800gtx
Amd 64x2 dual core 5000+ 2.6ghz
2 gb ddr2 800 mhx pc-6400
asrock mobo

iwant to upgrade at xmas to play crysis maxed out i was thinkin of getting

a amd athlon 64x2 6400+ 3.2 ghz
2gb of reaper ocz ram
i was thinking of gettinng another gtx to go into sli but i hear things about the gt should i get gt sli or another gtx?

Rab2140 said:
Hi all . I got crysis the other day and performance on my pc is not bad about 25 to 30 fps on v high and i want to increase my performace i currently have;

1 palit 8800gtx
Amd 64x2 dual core 5000+ 2.6ghz
2 gb ddr2 800 mhx pc-6400
asrock mobo

iwant to upgrade at xmas to play crysis maxed out i was thinkin of getting

a amd athlon 64x2 6400+ 3.2 ghz
2gb of reaper ocz ram
i was thinking of gettinng another gtx to go into sli but i hear things about the gt should i get gt sli or another gtx?
Damn I wish i had money to spend like you.

1. Don't bother getting the X2 6400+. Just get a better cooler for your current X2 5000+ and over-clock it to 3GHz. I currently have my X2 5000+ at 2.91GHz with stock HS&F with no voltage change. I plan to go 3GHz and possibly higher when I get a better CPU cooler. (If I can get my hands on a Thermalright Ultra 120+, than I would be very happy ;) ).

2. Don't get the 2GB Reaper OCZ RAM. Simply buy another 2GB of what you already have for a total of 4GB.

3. If you already got a single GTX than I would highly suggest you not go 8800GT SLI unless you plan on giving me the GTX for free (or for a cheap price):D. Seriously, you would be much better going GTX SLI, you should be able to play on very high settings. Just make sure your PSU is capable of handling the amount of power. But be careful with SLI, in Vista SLI is not doing to well, but Crysis has been designed to benefit from SLI (Not all games benefit from SLI so it will be like playing with a single GFX card)

Good Luck and enjoy the super cool graphics that I won't see until sometime mid next year :)

EDIT: Now about giving me the 8800GTX:haha: :haha: :haha:

stick with your existing cpu coz i hear the 6400 doesnt really go much higher than its standard setting
so for bang for buck stick with teh 5000

with regards to the gfx again get another GTX for sli madness!!! thats what i'd do anyway
you''l get the best results this way i reckon.

im not sure about the ram situation nowadays
but my old method was the more the merrier!! ;) so expanding on what you already have would be my ideal method.

by the looks of your upgrade list tho it seems like youve practically got another PC there
so if you really that 6400 then just add a good mobo into the mix and nice new case! ;)

Thanks ofr the advice guys it appears that a new processor is not needed? just a few question my mother is to be honest rubbish i need an sli mobo that can over clock my cpu plus fit socket am2 amd processor and i would need a cpu cooler any idears?

Lol My 8800 ;)

if you're going to upgrade the mobo in the process, i would just invest the money in a single 8800 ultra super clocked. the amd 5000+ black edition is a great! processor. OC'ing possibilites flowing everywhere. With a good air cooling non stock cooler, you could easily prevent any bottlenecking between your gpu and cpu, since crysis uses the gpu core the most.

Keep in mind that even current high-end hardware isn't able to run Crysis at maximum detail, so you might want to consider upgrading later. More RAM would be better, especially if you wanna run Vista. Be warned though that you would need Vista\XP x64 if you have over 3GB of RAM, otherwise you won't be able to utilize all of it.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
Keep in mind that even current high-end hardware isn't able to run Crysis at maximum detail, so you might want to consider upgrading later. More RAM would be better, especially if you wanna run Vista. Be warned though that you would need Vista\XP x64 if you have over 3GB of RAM, otherwise you won't be able to utilize all of it.
Your wrong there. Benchmarks haven't been taken of an 2x8800GTX-SLI running Crysis as maximum possible details. Only a single 8800GTX has been benched and it was playable at all high and some very high settings. Add another GTX and you gain on average anywhere from 60-90% performance increase. So you should easily be able to play Crysis at best possible graphics settings with above 30fps on average.

As for a motherboard. I have an ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe W/E. The motherboard is very cool (Both as in cold cool, and wicked cool;) ). It has quite a lot of over-clocking features and should do you fine. (I have one minor problem with my one though. The stock HS&F for my CPU doesn't clip on, the bloody thing it so tight I had trouble just getting the bastard to fit, if I try to clip it I might break it. Its tight enough anyways so I don't mind. What I'm more worried abut is when I replace it. I tried taking it off once before and couldn't, was too hard. Than again, theres always PLAN B, hehe. But doubt you'd have the same problem.

Than again there are other motherboard alternatives, but there are quite a few now I can't be bothered naming them. What I can tell you is that my motherboard is no POS, it rakes up there with gaming motherboards according to Anandtech.

Good luck with your upgrade and do post some benchmarks and screenshots when your done.

_FAKE_ you are wrong. Crysis has been benched in SLI mode with two GTXs and the frame rates were dismal.

http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2007/11/20/crysis_sli/

Crytech is supposed to put out a "magic" patch that will allow Crysis to run smoothly in SLI at its highest settings and screen resolution, but I doubt that will happen. I seem to see about a 50% increase in frame rates with SLI already, so I doubt SLI performance will improve unless the patch removes the highest settings from the game.

Crysis runs at about 30-40FPS with an 8800GTX SLI setup only if you crank all the settings to Very High with AA turned off. As soon as AA is turned on, there is a tremendous performance hit, which is to be expected but it's quite odd, considering the same setup is able to rip through any other game with ease.

Cinders said:
_FAKE_ you are wrong. Crysis has been benched in SLI mode with two GTXs and the frame rates were dismal.

http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2007/11/20/crysis_sli/

Crytech is supposed to put out a "magic" patch that will allow Crysis to run smoothly in SLI at its highest settings and screen resolution, but I doubt that will happen. I seem to see about a 50% increase in frame rates with SLI already, so I doubt SLI performance will improve unless the patch removes the highest settings from the game.
Thats interesting I suppose. But I have read of a few people with just a single 8800GTX playing at Very High IQ at playable framrates with maybe a small amount of lag in some places. This was played at 1280-1024 with no AA I admit. But the majority of people only have a max res of 1280-1024 (including myself) and i couldn't give a rats flying sh*t about AA as it doesn't bother me at all, especially at 1280-1024 res.

So I'm pretty sure 2x8800GTX SLI can run Crysis at Very high IQ with no AA at 1280-1024 without much problems.

quick question : pc format stated that the 8800 series on dx10 isnt worthwhile, and somewhere else someone suggested rather getting the 8600 series. any opinions? would be much appreciated seeing as i have the 8600gt

Teranius said:
quick question : pc format stated that the 8800 series on dx10 isnt worthwhile, and somewhere else someone suggested rather getting the 8600 series. any opinions? would be much appreciated seeing as i have the 8600gt
Whoever suggested to you to get an 8600GT over an 8800GT is a f***ing *****. The 8600GT are not worth the money, especially when compared to an 8800GT which has over triple the performance.

DX10 isn't that bad in games. Its just that the quality of DX10 is a lot higher, but not noticeably higher. For instance (If I remember this correctly), DX10 has double the resolution on textures from 256x256 DX9 to 512x512 DX10, so the graphics card must render twice as much which impacts on performance quite a lot. And since both resolutions are quite small its hard to notice the difference. Also DX10 has SM4.0 where DX9 only has SM3.0, and SM impacts greatly on performance (because you have better dynamic lighting, realistic non-premade shadows, and so on).

If you where to change all these DX10 settings to DX9, the performance on DX10 would probably be slightly better than DX9, its just todays Graphics cards are not powerful enough to handle it. It was the same thing when DX9 first came out. Just wait a year and the new High End graphics cards and even mid range graphics cards will play DX10 with no problems.

just for interests sake, i run everything i have (unforetunately not crysis) on v high graphics with no lag. also the 8800 costs more than triple the price of the 8600

Teranius said:
just for interests sake, i run everything i have (unforetunately not crysis) on v high graphics with no lag. also the 8800 costs more than triple the price of the 8600
The 8600GT is only $83 where you live? fair enough, thats not a bad price. Where I live they are selling for over $200, Price of 8800GT $399. (Computer fair is selling 8600GT for as low as $130, they didn't have 8800GT in stock so I couldn't compare them). But the 8800GT spanks the 8600GT in everything, and has a better price/performance ratio.

Wait if you can. The G92 8800gts 512mb is comming out in 2 weeks and may be better than the GTX and or Ultra.
In Jan there may be a G92 2x512mb dual card released from what I've read.

kpo6969 said:
Wait if you can. The G92 8800gts 512mb is comming out in 2 weeks and may be better than the GTX and or Ultra.
In Jan there may be a G92 2x512mb dual card released from what I've read.
I have a hard time believing this. Not saying it won't happen, but All I've heard from it, is that it has increased SP from 96 to 128. From what I've been able to gather the 8800GT still has over double the texture fill rate which I believe is partly the reason for the huge performance of the 8800GT. All the increased SP will provide is higher shader operations.

Teranius said:
in South Africa. everything here is overcharged
Everything is overpriced here too. So I know how you feel.

sorry if i sound disrespectful, but its different here. it cost me almost 3 months' salary to buy my pc, and its just the case

Teranius said:
sorry if i sound disrespectful, but its different here. it cost me almost 3 months' salary to buy my pc, and its just the case
It took me 2 years for mine. So stop complaining :rolleyes:

Teranius said:
haha ok, well in dollars my pc works out at about 750
Roughly the same here, probably slightly more. I'm starting to think I should buy my PC parts in bulk now as I've been getting quite annoyed with buying a new upgrade and a few months later when i can afford another upgrade to go with it, my other upgrade is over 50% cheaper. Take for instance my X2 5000+, bought it for $450, few months later, when I bought 2GB DDR2 800 Ram to go with it, I see they are selling the X2 5000+ for under $200. I felt like screaming at the guy I was so pissed.

Getting a little offtopic here.

MY 8800GTX XT has recently overheated to the point of no return :( and no it was never overclocked.

As I can't get a refund, only a replacement, (the following may be a silly thing to do as the initial card broke on me) I'm now buying another to pair them up in SLI for another rig I'm building.

What power supply do I need? I've already got a 650w PSU although there isn't another set of twin cables attached to supply power to the other card. I'm guessing I'll need more power anyway. Can anyone recommend a PSU to buy?

_FAKE_ said:
I have a hard time believing this. Not saying it won't happen, but All I've heard from it, is that it has increased SP from 96 to 128. From what I've been able to gather the 8800GT still has over double the texture fill rate which I believe is partly the reason for the huge performance of the 8800GT. All the increased SP will provide is higher shader operations.

Everything is overpriced here too. So I know how you feel.
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4300&Itemid=34
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4290&Itemid=34
http://www.vr-zone.com/articles/G92_GeForce_8800_GTS_512_Card_Pics_&_Specs/5405.html
http://www.vr-zone.com/articles/Nvidia_D9E_To_Fight_AMD_R680/5404.html
http://www.guru3d.com/news.php?cat=8&perpage=15#6128
http://www.geforce9.com/index.php?news=99

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back