90% of Americans own or want a tablet

Emil

Staff

To further push its Galaxy Tab line (the 10.1 is out this week), Samsung Mobile funded an online survey that found tablets are becoming popular: 90 percent of US consumers either already own a tablet or would consider buying one. The national survey was conducted by Kelton Research and included 1,000 Americans ages 18 and older.

The survey examined the most common use cases for mobile tablets among Americans who already own or would consider purchasing a mobile tablet. Here are the results:

• 76 percent own or want a tablet for reading the news or books.
  • 64 percent own or want a tablet for watching TV shows or movies.
  • 61 percent own or want a tablet for listening to music.
  • 56 percent own or want a tablet for updating their social networking profiles.
  • 44 percent own or want a tablet for taking pictures or videos.
  • 41 percent own or want a tablet for video chat with loved ones.
  • 34 percent own or want a tablet for staying connected with their co-workers.

The arguably most interesting statistic, however, is that 53 percent survey respondents said they would choose to use their tablet to play games instead of on a PC or console. This is why companies like GameStop and Sony think they have a chance of doing well in this market by creating something a device specifically centered on gaming.

The WiFi version of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 with Android 3.1 is available now in 16GB ($500) and 32GB ($600) flavors while the 8.9 will be soon available in 16GB ($470) and 32GB ($570) versions. They join the original 7-inch Galaxy Tab, which has already been quite a success for the company and even received an upgrade to Android 2.3.

The hardware giant is touting the two new devices as the world's thinnest tablets, at just 8.6 millimeters thick. The Galaxy Tab 10.1 weighs 595 grams while the Galaxy Tab 8.9 weighs 470 grams. Both support HSPA+ network speeds of up to 21Mbps, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n connectivity. They also feature a 3 megapixel rear camera and a 2 megapixel front camera, providing seamless 1080p HD video. The two devices are powered by a 1GHz dual core application processor and both feature a 1280 x 800 resolution WXGA display.

What the specs don't mention is that the two devices are preloaded with Readers Hub and Music Hub giving consumers instant access to more than 2.2 million books, 2,000 newspaper (49 languages), 2,300 magazines (22 languages), and 13 million songs. The devices are also designed with Samsung's Social Hub, which will aggregate email, instant messaging, contacts, calendar, and social network connections into a single interface.

Permalink to story.

no offense, but i think that's y Americans are considered to be stupid....uve got a smartphone, a laptop and a desktop...ur already pretty spread out, y would u want to add a 4th unnecessary device in between?

Excuse me if I'm a bit suspicious, but most online surveys are laughably bad as far as methodology is concerned, to the point where many aren't even worth looking at as real surveys.

example1013 said:
Excuse me if I'm a bit suspicious, but most online surveys are laughably bad as far as methodology is concerned, to the point where many aren't even worth looking at as real surveys.

Aye, 1000 out of ~300,000,000 is hardly representative of the population as a whole. They could very well have ended up with 1000 of the least technically adept people in the country.

herpaderp said:
example1013 said:

Aye, 1000 out of ~300,000,000 is hardly representative of the population as a whole. They could very well have ended up with 1000 of the least technically adept people in the country.

No, actually a 1000-person sample size is plenty to get decent results. Probably the biggest problem with an online survey is response bias; for instance, someone who doesn't really care (or who might not want a tablet) would have no interest in taking a survey about tablets, while a person who really wants a tablet is much more likely to take the survey. It's like doing a TV survey on Fox News, where 95% of the callers all agree on one issue; the particular audience watching said Fox News program is largely of the same mindset and political slant, and thus of course they agree, but it's not representative of the country as a whole.

The company doing the survey in this case very likely followed proper procedures, but the fact that it's an online survey just makes it impossible to use the survey in any meaningful way, since there are so many issues with trying to get a representative sample online.

90% is way to high... also 1000 people is way to small of a polling sample for the amount of US consumers.

Poll flaws aside. I highly doubt 90% of any group has or wants a tablet.

@Punkid except that almost no one buys a desktop computer anymore, feature phones still outsell smartphones and not everyone owns a personal laptop.

As I see it tablets are PCs for "regular" people.

Also, having not seen the survey, we don't know whether or not the questions are deceiving. For instance, asking "do you want a tablet" vs. "do you want to buy a tablet". I don't think anyone would say no to a tablet say, if it were free or something, but that doesn't mean they plan on purchasing one. I mean, I'd like a Porsche, but that doesn't mean I'm going to get one.

Perhaps that should read, "90% of the people we asked, and decided to report on said they wanted a tablet".

Since a certain percentage of Americans are under working age, or unemployed, perhaps they should have said "XX percentage of Americans want a tablet, but quite a few of them expect somebody else to buy it. (And I expect that the "have-not" percentage is far greater than 10%).

This is fad BS people! I expect that once upon a time 90% wanted a "hula hoop"!

So, for those who just can't afford a tablet PC, but can't live without one, here's my suggestion; "hop on a slow boat to China, and try and sell a kidney"!

@Punkid except that almost no one buys a desktop computer anymore, feature phones still outsell smartphones and not everyone owns a personal laptop.

Yeah, that's so everybody can come here and argue about which one of theses pieces of s**, out under performs the other.

10 percenter here. Don't think these are the kind of tablets Moses was workin with.
Wow, that's a thought provoking comment!

I'm sitting here LMAO, picturing Steve Jobs handing down the tablets to the iniquitous Isrealites, who are fervently dancing around a craven idol! (The "craven idol" is of course, a gold plated Windows PC, shaped like a calf)......! :haha:

captaincranky said:
Perhaps that should read, "90% of the people we asked, and decided to report on said they wanted a tablet".

Since a certain percentage of Americans are under working age, or unemployed, perhaps they should have said "XX percentage of Americans want a tablet, but quite a few of them expect somebody else to buy it. (And I expect that the "have-not" percentage is far greater than 10%).

This is fad BS people! I expect that once upon a time 90% wanted a "hula hoop"!

So, for those who just can't afford a tablet PC, but can't live without one, here's my suggestion; "hop on a slow boat to China, and try and sell a kidney"!

Yeah, that's so everybody can come here and argue about which one of theses pieces of s**, out under performs the other.

Hey, I'd take a hula hoop if it were free.

Guest said:
so 90% of americans are stupid?

What's so stupid about wanting a light weight computer for basic web browsing, book reading, and video watching? For people who don't need all the bells and whistles of a laptop, but want something bigger than a smart phone, the tablet is a great buy. I would say tablets are a bit expensive, but then look at the MSRP of smart phones when you purchase them without a mobile plan.

When I travel, my tablet is perfect for having on the plane. Small, yet not heavy. I can read a book or watch a movie. Whenever I do inventory at work, it's a LOT of help. I can actually carry it around with me do my checklist on the tablet. I can keep going but I'm sure you get the point by now.

Just because you find no need or point for a tablet, doesn't mean someone else doesn't. That kind of mindset belongs back in elementary school with the little, immature kids.

90% "want to"... yeah right!
"want to read, want to watch, want to listen, want to want to want to"...WTB BS-free survey.

matrix86 said:
Guest said:
so 90% of americans are stupid?

What's so stupid about wanting a light weight computer for basic web browsing, book reading, and video watching? For people who don't need all the bells and whistles of a laptop, but want something bigger than a smart phone, the tablet is a great buy. I would say tablets are a bit expensive, but then look at the MSRP of smart phones when you purchase them without a mobile plan.

When I travel, my tablet is perfect for having on the plane. Small, yet not heavy. I can read a book or watch a movie. Whenever I do inventory at work, it's a LOT of help. I can actually carry it around with me do my checklist on the tablet. I can keep going but I'm sure you get the point by now.

Just because you find no need or point for a tablet, doesn't mean someone else doesn't. That kind of mindset belongs back in elementary school with the little, immature kids.

This. My mom already said she's not getting another laptop when her current one dies. We have a house desktop for the major work (bills and such), and she uses her laptop exclusively for checking e-mail, browsing the web, and playing light flash games, none of which taxes even her dinosaur laptop. A tablet is even more portable, and she'll never need the processing power, so why waste the money on a cheap, heavy laptop when she can get a tablet for the same functions?

The only tablets I want are some that are going to releave me of this headache.

I want a new car too. And a 3D TV.

My main fear right now, which would probably be proven correct, is that after the initial afterglow of buying the tablet, I'd probably not find enough uses for it at this time and regret the money I'd spend on it.

I would probably derive more satisfaction from buying a new SB system for the same amount of money than a new tablet right now.

I think that once Windows 8 beta is released, I'll see how that stacks up, and then decide if I want to go with Windows or with Android. If Windows 8 offers enough compelling integration with the desktop, I'll probably get one of those, but if they don't succeed, I might get Android.

Some people are too thick. It's the sales that drive demand, not surveys. And judging by the sales of the iPad and the hordes of other companies designing their own tablets, then it's clear that consumers WANT TABLETS. Doesn't take a f'in genius to figure that out.

Some people are too thick. It's the sales that drive demand, not surveys. And judging by the sales of the iPad and the hordes of other companies designing their own tablets, then it's clear that consumers WANT TABLETS. Doesn't take a f'in genius to figure that out.
That may be true, but consider a demographic evaluation of the American population by age. Then get back to me as to whether or not you thing that "90%" is realistic.

All night long I get bombarded with Comcast ads about how, "now, I can change channels on my TV, right from my iPad".

Screw that! I'm sticking with a 20 buck remote control, and spending the $600.00 "iPad" money, on something I actually need, want like, or can actually use.

So, that said, if Americans can convince themselves to buy an iPad, because it's a big breakthrough in channel changing, then maybe we're as stupid as guest thinks we are.

Yeah, I'm not about to get an iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch any time soon. I got a discounted iPod touch with my laptop and never used it for anything but playing music, so when I lost it, I wasn't about to get another. iPod works great for portable music, can hold all my files, and I can even use it as essentially a portable HDD. My Droid X does maps, GPS, weather, and browsing in the car and such, so I don't need a navigator. It's not going to break as easily as an iPhone, and it was much cheaper for comparable storage.

My laptop handles all of my programs, and I'd likely want it anyways simply for the performance that I'd have to sacrifice for an iPad, not to mention lack of Windows. I can certainly see that many people will find use for a tablet, but those people will be using said tablet as their primary computing device, or have specific productivity uses for it where an "ultraportable" tablet is more feasible than a full-blown laptop.

^QFT

Yup that's me. Oh wait... did you say Ferrari? NM

I think with further innovation and more impressive specs, even hardcore enthusiasts may end up wanting tablets. At present though I'm not even slightly interested. Heck, if I won one I'd probably sell it on ebay or even Craig's list. lol

Side note: I've made a dozen sales on Craig's list and EVERY purchase was by an AZN... no racist, just a factual observation. I think it's actually a sign of prudence.

Back