1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

90% of businesses say they were hacked in the last year

By Emil · 10 replies
Jun 24, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. 90 percent of businesses say they have fallen victim to a cyber security breach at least once in the past 12 months. That percentage isn't based on a small number…

    Read the whole story
  2. TomSEA

    TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 3,057   +1,491

    Those are some incredible statistics. And I believe them. Where I work (a government agency), there has been an attempt to breach our security a number of times.
  3. stewi0001

    stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 2,111   +1,532

    I saw an email from EA this morning that their Never Winter Night forum server got hack. Told Matt about incase he wanted to use it for news but I guess not XD or he hasn't been on yet...
  4. Relic

    Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,372   +17

    Ya, seems like one of their old forum servers got compromised and EA isn't taking any chances resetting everyones password.
  5. jonelsorel

    jonelsorel TS Rookie Posts: 72

    Although your statement breathes grams of credibility for the simple fact that you work for the govt, I believe you. Someone I pissed off tried to hack into my yahoo acount 7 years ago. It's also cute how close you put "incredible" to "believe". :)

    (There's lies, big lies, and then there's statistics)
  6. jonelsorel

    jonelsorel TS Rookie Posts: 72

    PS: those "statistics" shouldn't come as such a big surprise to someone working for the govt, should they?
  7. To anyone who works in network security, you're right. These statistics aren't surprising in the least. Especially for folks working in high-value environments (i.e. large corporations, governments, etc.).
  8. Considering that both high-speed internet and computers have become standard (if not necessary) household items over the last 12 years, I'm surprised these numbers aren't larger. As more people get connected and become tech savvy globally the number and complexity of these breaches is only going to grow. There's going to be a lot of money to be made in cyber security over the next decade.
  9. Scott8090

    Scott8090 TS Rookie Posts: 48

    I wouldn't say more people are becoming tech savy for say. I would say with such a vast increase of users with the last 5+ years, the world wide web user base has expanded to where tech savy and not tech savy are far from the two types. What is tech savy? Seems the difinition is bluried these days. Computers becoming more simple, companies requiring a vastly large amount out of IT staff, ,less knowledgeable individuals within the IT field, along with companies making the employment process for such IT Techs are only some of matters that make that article perfectly true.
    Boils down to Companys need to step up their policys over all in regards to IT Staff and Budget.
  10. I will say that 90% of the companies are the ones that know that they got hacked -- the other 10% got hacked as well but haven't found out about it yet...
  11. gobbybobby

    gobbybobby TS Guru Posts: 555   +9

    yea they told me they also lost my CD key, I was like ahh great now my games CD key gonna appear on torrents and my CD key gonna be blacklisted :(

Similar Topics

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...