9800gtx or Radeon HD 4850?

Status
Not open for further replies.
HD 4850 is better, but runs very hot (about 85-90C under load). If that's an issue with you, get the 9800GTX+.
Also, get the HD 4850 for much lesser from here.

Wouldn't be a bad idea. I'd recommend an Intel chipset since they are x fire compatible... X38/48 perhaps.

Currently Nvidia does have the most powerful card available in the form of the GTX 280, but Ati's newest entries are a much better value!

If you can afford an extra $100 or so, I would deffinately recommend getting the 4870. If not, the 4850 represents the best bang for the buck on the market right now IMO.

Rage, can't you just change the heatsink fan on the 4850 and lower the temps? I remember people saying the default HSF that came with it wasn't really that good, but after they changed it to a after-market cooling it lowered the temps to something more reasonable. Also, if you're videocard is getting extreme amounts of heat you could get a PCI-slot cooling card ( I know it's newegg, but I'm just showing it ) and it could blow out the extra heat the videocard produces outside the case.

Getting an after market cooler isn't needed. The reason these new cards get so hot is because the default fan speed is set really low, but can be remedied by creating/editing a profile(google: 4850 fan fix).

@TP, you can just ramp up the fan speed to 100% to deal with the heating problem as suggested above. The other reason I wouldn't recommend an HSF change is because it will void the warranty, besides there being a chance of killing the card if you don't attach the new HSF properly.

100% speed is super loud and deffinately over-kill. 50-60 will absolutely suffice and from what I've read will keep temps well under 70c even under heavy gaming loads. Also, as rage mentioned removing the original HSF may void the warranty depending on the mfr.

@TP, you can just ramp up the fan speed to 100% to deal with the heating problem as suggested above. The other reason I wouldn't recommend an HSF change is because it will void the warranty, besides there being a chance of killing the card if you don't attach the new HSF properly.

Ah... I kept the fan speed on 100% for my videocard ( 8800GTS ) and it started screeching after about 3 minutes, I looked and for some reason there was a thin piece of tape on the card's outside. It was very strange. :> The temps dropped a lot though, from 50c idle to about 44c and 57c load to 51c.

I don't see anything wrong with Diamond's products. They, along with Sapphire, HIS Hightech and Visiontek have some of the best Radeon cards out there.

hmm alrighty ima think about this, would i need a new psu once again? =]

i might wanna stay on same processor for now ima kinda broke

hmm alrighty ima think about this, would i need a new psu once again? =]

i might wanna stay on same processor for now ima kinda broke

Depends on how much wattage your current PSU has, open the side panel and look for the sticker on the PSU and read what the wattage level is. Around 600w would do for now, anything less and you'd risk shortage, but that's just me... I tend to go 200-300w more than I need just incase I plan on adding lots of stuff in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back