A few questions about compatability and performance

garethrogue

1) I have an X58 Platinum SLI Motherboard, is this RAM going to be compatible with my MB? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00339X1EM?ie=UTF8&tag=cursegaming0f-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00339X1EM

Also, it looks like it comes with 2 sticks of RAM. I have 3 slots so I'd have to places 2 orders, so wouldn't I end up with 1 extra stick?

2) The inside of my case is pretty dusty, would that affect performance at all?

3) I have an Intel i7 920, are the newer i7 processors enough of an improvement in performance that it would be worth upgrading?

4) Same question in regards to my graphics card. I have an nvidia GeForce GTX 260.

5) Is there any reason to buy http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0036Q7MV0 other then the storage space?

Alright, first off from what Ive looked up on your motherboard and that ram, they don't look to be compatible. I can suggest you some that will work if you like. As for the 2 packs, since your board only supports 3 RAM slots, then yes you would end up with a extra stick. Which you could save for the future or just order 3 separate 4gib sticks or w.e your preference is.

Your case- It being dusty will affect performance, when your board and other hardware is cover with dust, it will cause malfunctions and overheating. Which could result in things such as BSOD's , you'd want to get that cleaned out before doing any upgrading.

Your processor upgrade is also something you'd have to choose for yourself, the newer i7's are indeed great CPU's and would be worth upgrading too if you wanted. But it all depends on what you plan on doing with your machine.

Your graphics card upgrade is again to your discretion. If you don't do any type of gaming where u desire max graphics or anything of that sort, then your card is fine for casual use. But if you do intend on gaming, i would recommend upgrading to a better card.

as for the HDD you posted, well no there is no need, unless you feel you need more disk space. If your just looking for a better preforming disk, i suggest looking into SSD's .

3) I have an Intel i7 920, are the newer i7 processors enough of an improvement in performance that it would be worth upgrading?
You'd have to swap out a motherboard too, not worth it IMO.

At this point, it's not worth it. In day to day use, the i7 920 is more than fast enough.

I'd wait until LGA 2011 hit later this year / early next year to upgrade.

Back