TechSpot giveaway: Win a DJI Spark drone & a Star Wars BB-8 droid

A former Google engineer founded a religion that is developing an AI god

By midian182 ยท 19 replies
Sep 28, 2017
Post New Reply
  1. Here’s some news that's likely to give Elon Musk a heart attack: a former Google engineer has founded a religious organization that seeks to “develop and promote the realization of a Godhead based on Artificial Intelligence.”

Anthony Levandowski co-founded self-driving trucking company Otto, which Uber acquired for $680 million in 2016. He became head of engineering for the ride-hailing firm’s autonomous vehicle division, and made headlines after being fired in May following allegations he stole trade secrets from former employer Google.

It seems Levandowski could now become more famous for his nonprofit religious entity, called Way of the Future, which he founded in September 2015. Wired’s Backchannel discovered previously unreported state filings that reveal the corporation aims “through understanding and worship of the Godhead, [to] contribute to the betterment of society.”

While Way of the Future has yet to submit forms with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to qualify as a tax-exempt religious organization, the documents do show Levandowski as its CEO and president.

AI gods may sound like the stuff of sci-fi, Anime, and computer games, but it’s certainly a concept likely to appeal to the futurists and transhumanists of Silicon Valley more than traditional religions.

Elon Musk is one CEO unlikely to welcome the move toward self-aware artificial life and the singularity. The Tesla boss was one of many experts to create OpenAi, a nonprofit that makes sure AI development is regulated. He also joined 116 other experts calling for a ban on “killer robots" recently, and said AI was humanity’s “biggest existential threat” and “more dangerous than North Korea.” Hopefully, his words won't come back to haunt us when everybody's forced to worship an all-seeing robotic god.

Permalink to story.

2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,549   +1,835

Oh dear, this guy is like a monkey with a machine gun, the term that was officially reserved for Trump till now.

Everybody duck!

mosu and H3llion like this.
  3. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 2,528   +981

I hope he has some good google lawyers because I can already see the church or scientology suing him for copyright infringement :D

Godel, H3llion and Skidmarksdeluxe like this.
  4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 8,455   +3,177

There are literally thousands of mythical god's millions truly believe exist, or did exist at one time or another, even going as far as to offer up their lives, and the lives of others for some mythical figure that they deeply believe in so an AI god comes as no surprise. The trick is to getting the masses to believe it and that shouldn't be too much of a problem, a lot of people are very easily conned as far as this stuff is concerned so if it works for them, then it must be a god... of sorts.

TempleOrion likes this.
  5. enemys

enemys TS Addict Posts: 101   +78

I, for one, welcome our new computer overlords.

6. Zoner1501

Zoner1501 TS Enthusiast Posts: 52   +15

All Hail Skynet?

EClyde likes this.
  7. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 1,640   +572

TempleOrion likes this.
  8. EClyde

EClyde TS Evangelist Posts: 1,145   +362

Why not? We already have the kharma God everyone believes in, except me

TempleOrion likes this.
  9. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 10,694   +856

The two primary AI source code languages are Prolog and Lisp - - go write your own god.

10. axiomatic13

axiomatic13 TS Addict Posts: 132   +62

Just like L. Ron Hubbard, he's just looking to save on taxes. Religion = tax break.

11. namesrejected

namesrejected TS Guru Posts: 381   +286

Wow! That is brilliant! Will this also work if I win the lottery and say " my religion requires I buy a ticket"?

Hmm, but Trump is like a prophet to me so this is difficult.

Zoner1501 likes this.
  12. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 3,084   +1,762

"Hmm, but Trump is like a prophet to me so this is difficult."

I simply haven't the words ........ air sickness bags optional

13. Polycount

Polycount TS Addict Posts: 129   +50

Uhm. What?

14. 4430 Salton

4430 Salton TS Rookie

Iam sure its not the first google employee with a god complex and wont be the last

wiyosaya likes this.
  15. dkryder

dkryder TS Rookie

Man, being alive today is a walk in the park compared to life in 2050

16. ddferrari

ddferrari TS Maniac Posts: 305   +137

Anthony Levandowski, you're either a criminal in the making, or an I-diot on his way out.

17. cuerdc

cuerdc TS Enthusiast Posts: 65   +7

I wouldn't go as far as say god worship but would rather have AI running countries governments than the *****s currently there. I'm sure AI could fix many of the world's problems at a loss to the people with wealth and power hence trying stop it.

18. Atilolzz

Atilolzz TS Rookie

Cant wait for J.C. Denton to unite with this AI God

19. erickmendes

erickmendes TS Maniac Posts: 282   +101

I welcome our Robot Overlords! (I hope Google register it, because I want my position in their ranks, better than being dead)

20. avioza

avioza TS Booster Posts: 112   +50

Birth of the Cybran.