A good PSU for the MSI Radeon HD 6950

Atham

I was thinking about getting a new GPU and PSU, as my current components are pretty bad.

Here is the card I am thinking about.

Would this Corsair CX500 500watt PSU be enough?

If not could anyone suggest a good PSU?

And if the website doesn't offer translation, then use the google translate website tool.

Thanks in advance

Depending if you know you are going to upgead in the futuer it may be paying £20 extra now and being safe with getting a higher wattage. although the 500w will be fine for the job.

im not an expert so get a second opinion, but yes it should work fine. You just got to figure out if your going to update your computer alot becuase its always better to have more.

But yea, it should run fine.

I don't think I am going to update my PC at multiple times. Maybe I should wait for someone else's opinion like you said.

Thanks a lot Voozy.

Any other opinions are welcome

i would go with a corsair 750 w as most of the newer tech is pwr hungry and these days its better to have more overhead than none, especially of u plan on upgrading in the future this gives you more power as u can in most cases transfer to a new system. as seeing as a uber weak psu going over its maximum rated voltage can in some cases explode and catch on fire i would rather pay 250$ to be safe than pay 20$ for a psu that can fry my 2000$ system.

can you please tell us what you plan on upgrading to in the future, or games you plan on playing?

Hey, here are some great power supplies that you may want to buy.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371022

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139012
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817121077

If these are a bit hard on the wallet. The builder series from Corsair are a very solid power supply for the money.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139028

They were actually suggested to me for my first build, from a pretty knowledgeable person on the forum (Red1776) so i do trust these would all be good power supplies to consider.

To be honest, to get the best bang for your buck, I'd recommend you forgo the 6950 and instead invest in a more powerful CPU+lower end card. Go for something cheaper like a 6850 or 6870, and invest in a good midrange quad-core processor like a Phenom II 940 at least. That low end Athlon 240 you have currently is a pretty bad match for a 6950, it'll definitely be a bottleneck for performance, so I think you'd be happier in the long run if you upgrade that now. For this, I'd also recommend going for a larger PSU.

I cannot open the links. It says bad request. Would the Corsair be strong enough to power a 560 TI?

FSP Group Aurum

you require higher efficiency PSU, Try using Aurum 500 instead of Corsair CX500.
watts might be the same but Aurum 500 is a 80Plus series and have 90% efficiency.

FSP Aurum has won more then 20 awards from all around the world.
i have been using it for the past 1 and half year but it still works the same.

i think it really worth trying. try on and u will experiences the facts,

The Aurum 500W PSU will be enough to power a 6950, but if u plan on upgrading in the future or adding another card for Crossfire, then you will need a higher wattage and more reliable PSU. Also, what you should consider, like mentioned above by someone else, that you might want to draw back on the GPU and grab a more powerful CPU because your CPU will draw back your 6950's performance. Its your real bottleneck in the situation. But in the end, that's all up to you.

Try Aurum 650.700.750.....

If you found any doubt using Aurum 500 or required more power up , try Aurum 650 or Aurum 700.or Aurum 750

but i can guarantee that Aurum 500 will be ok.

tsk tsk tsk

You all forgot one of the top 3 things (after connectors and before watts) when looking for a PSU... AMPS!

As you were ;)

btw...

A graphics card will always give you more gain than a new CPU, even with a bottleneck. The higher the detail you enable, the less your CPU has to do.

Thanks for everything.

I think this thread can be locked, as maybe my dad is getting me a new PC which I choose the parts to.

So once again, thanks

Back