A Japanese data center is using waste heat to farm eels

mongeese

Staff
WTF?! A new business venture in Hokkaido, Japan, has plans to grow 300,000 eels per annum by 2023, in waters warmed by its in-development data center. It also wants to use snow collected from the city's streets as pre-cooled liquid for its systems.

The White Data Center (WDC) launched for business last year in April, but construction of the facility is still ongoing. Meanwhile, efforts are being directed towards establishing a farming venture that will use recycled water warmed by its servers' cooling system.

At first they tested abalone, cherry tomatoes, Japanese mustard spinach, sea urchin, and several other miscellaneous products, but settled on eel, which is a popular luxury dish in Japan. Farm-grown eels are sold at upwards of $100 per kilo at wholesale, or for $90 per dish in restaurants.

WDC is also trying to grow tree ear mushrooms. Like eels, they have a short cultivation cycle, which makes them a more accessible investment.

A Kobe company provided WDC with the 1,700 elvers (juvenile eels) that it released into tanks on February 25. It plans to market them as "the first eels cultured in Hokkaido." Eels normally require warmer climates than Hokkaido, but WDC believes that the heat produced by its servers will keep the tanks of its planned 300,000 eels at the required 33° C.

In collaboration with the city of Bibai, WDC has also been cultivating 6,000 eels since November last year in warmed snowmelt. Bibai is frequently the victim of heavy snowfall and it's working with WDC to pursue the possibility of using snow collected by the city's snowplows as pre-cooled water for the servers and as a freshwater source for the eels.

WDC thinks that using the snowmelt as an abundant and affordable freshwater source could improve the taste and size of the eels. It plans to sell them at 250 grams or larger after a cultivation period of seven to twelve months. They will be sold nationwide but could also be provided to local schools for lunchtime meals.

It's less clear how the snow could be used to cool servers. Most servers use rack-scale coolers to exhaust heat into a room cooled by air-conditioning, though some servers funnel heat into a larger, closed-loop liquid cooling system. Snow isn't a natural fit for either technique. Ambient cooling technologies do exist, like Microsoft's submerged data center, but those designs don't readily translate into snow-cooling either.

Nevertheless, WDC reports that its tests have been met with a lot of success, and it will continue to invest in the development of novel energy-reduction techniques.

Image credit: Maksim Shutov

Permalink to story.

This system is probably quite easy to manage - probably could put in some warm pools for people to bathe with eels - some eels are very nice to touch - really silky - add in a kids feeding area of chopped up raw meat - could really make some more money.
Energy recapture is a huge business - we used to waste huge amounts of energy in industry - on oil fields - endless flares offs - of gas - that now seems quite valuable.
Modern Skyscraper designs are pretty energy efficient .
Add in systems to tap into warmer and colder areas up to a couple of 100metres under the ground .
Saying that everywhere has geothermal energy - you just have to go down far enough

Unagi with rice is very yummy. you guys should try that! I'd take unagi over salmon in japanese restaurant anyday
China has been caught many times for using internationally-banned (I.e. extremely toxic) pesticides for its unagi production. I wouldn't consume their eels if I were paid.

Japan has a better reputation but one must be certain the eel was actually farmed there, preferably in containers.

Similarly, Japan-grown tea is safe to consume but most tea is not because of high lead. That's China-sourced tea for you!

China has been caught many times for using internationally-banned (I.e. extremely toxic) pesticides for its unagi production. I wouldn't consume their eels if I were paid.

Japan has a better reputation but one must be certain the eel was actually farmed there, preferably in containers.

Similarly, Japan-grown tea is safe to consume but most tea is not because of high lead. That's China-sourced tea for you!
Yeah, I saw a CBC Marketplace episode which compared different teas and while I don't remember lead being an issue, almost all brands of tea had very high levels of pesticides in them. The only exception to this was a Canadian brand called "Red Rose" which had none. Now, my mom is from Ireland and drinks tea like it's going out of style and always drank Tetley. I got her to watch this episode years ago and she has only bought Red Rose since.
Marketplace is an amazing show and I've never seen one like it outside of Canada. I think that everyone should check it out because a lot of the products that they look at are sold worldwide:

Back