A little processor help please anyone?

Hello to all,

This is my first post here and i am in need of a little help. I am currently thinking of upgrading my processor as i think its really the only part of my system that is lacking a bit of power. To give a rough idea what im working with i have as follows:

6523 Dell Inspiron 545 Intel Quad 1
Core 2.5GHz 6GB Ram 750GB HDD
ATI Radion HD 4 series ( Specifics i can provide later as i am not at the computer in question.

Now im sure there is other information needed before anyone can help and i have done a little background research so im not completely brain dead when it comes to this topic, I just dont want to end up spending too much or too little on a processor and maybe even ordering something that is of no use to me.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I don't think that the CPU warrants an upgrade. The Core 2 Quad Series is decent. Should not need an upgrade unless you're into very heavy content creation/3D Modelling/etc.

I don't think that the CPU warrants an upgrade. The Core 2 Quad Series is decent. Should not need an upgrade unless you're into very heavy content creation/3D Modelling/etc.

Well this is just it you see, I studied special effects technology and use multiple software packages that are heavy on my processor. (Maya, Vue, zbrush, 3d max etc...)

But i also want something with a bit more power for gamine as well. Especially when the new Battlefield 3 comes out!

If you want a processor far superior to a Core 2 Quad, you'll probably need to upgrade your motherboard (and ostensibly RAM) and go for a Core i5 quad/Core i7 :(. The highest end Core 2 Quad, the QX9770, is better than your current one, but that performance increase probably wouldn't be worth the cost of that processor.

If you want a processor far superior to a Core 2 Quad, you'll probably need to upgrade your motherboard (and ostensibly RAM) and go for a Core i5 quad/Core i7 :(. The highest end Core 2 Quad, the QX9770, is better than your current one, but that performance increase probably wouldn't be worth the cost of that processor.

Mother board details for what i have got are:

Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model Name: 0N826N
Model Revision: A03
Chipset name: Intel p35/g33/g31
Chipset Rev:A2
SouthBridge: Intel 82801IR (ICH9R)

Memory: DDR2
Channels: 2
Size: 6144MB

So if that motherboard isnt up to spec for a new processor of any real improvement, what about over clocking? I know nothing about it apart from the basics. and up until now that is why i have stayed away from it, I dont want to end up using my Dell as a BBQ for the last time :)

Well this is just it you see, I studied special effects technology and use multiple software packages that are heavy on my processor. (Maya, Vue, zbrush, 3d max etc...)

But i also want something with a bit more power for gamine as well. Especially when the new Battlefield 3 comes out!

Looks like you need a good CPU and a GPU.

Some of the programs and of the course the games, stand to benefit greatly from a good GPU. Now unless you have a HD4870 or HD4890 currently installed, your GPU is considerably weak.

what about over clocking?

1. You really need to know what you're doing. No shortcuts here.
2. Your current hardware should be OC'ble. (Mobo - guessing NO)
3. You may also need better CPU cooling (aftermarket HSF), if you're planning to do some serious overclocking.

Looks like you need a good CPU and a GPU.

Some of the programs and of the course the games, stand to benefit greatly from a good GPU. Now unless you have a HD4870 or HD4890 currently installed, your GPU is considerably weak.

1. You really need to know what you're doing. No shortcuts here.
2. Your current hardware should be OC'ble. (Mobo - guessing NO)
3. You may also need better CPU cooling (aftermarket HSF), if you're planning to do some serious overclocking.

My GPU is as follows :
Radeon HD 4350
Memory Size: 512MB
Technology: 55 nm
Directx Ver: 11.0

3D App:
Core;615MHz
Shaders; 405MHz
Memory: -1MHz

So is this a bit weak?

If you want to play games you need something better than a Radeon HD 4350.

I know because that is what I had before I bought a GeForce GTS 450. The GTS 450 is classified as a low grade gaming card but has 6 times better performance than a HD 4350.

My GPU is as follows :
Radeon HD 4350
Memory Size: 512MB
Technology: 55 nm
Directx Ver: 11.0

3D App:
Core;615MHz
Shaders; 405MHz
Memory: -1MHz

So is this a bit weak?

It most certainly is. This is the kind of entry level card that is used in HTPCs or basic entertainment rigs.

Now a decent starting point with ATI cards would be the HD5670. There are plenty of better cards to choose from, although you need to keep the price and PSU requirement in mind.

Your Dell probably has a low-quality, OEM (generic) PSU in it, which will not do justice to any new video card (a good one of course) you buy.

A lot of people don't pay heed to the importance of a good PSU and regret it later. Not only will the new PSU offer enough power for the new video card, it will also go on to power your system reliably for years to come.

Your Dell probably has a low-quality, OEM (generic) PSU in it, which will not do justice to any new video card (a good one of course) you buy.

A lot of people don't pay heed to the importance of a good PSU and regret it later. Not only will the new PSU offer enough power for the new video card, it will also go on to power your system reliably for years to come.

Most Dell Inspiron 545's came with a 300w Delta PSU. Delta is an excelent brand and very reliable but at 300w it won't run anything but an entry-leval video card.

Most Dell Inspiron 545's came with a 300w Delta PSU.

Thanks for the info.

Delta is an excelent brand and very reliable but at 300w it won't run anything but an entry-leval video card.

I would rather say "popular", as they are the OEM of choice for a few brands.

That said, OEM PSUs generally aren't high-quality or efficient for low-med end systems. There is a reason why brands like Dell, HP, Acer etc.. go in for OEM PSUs and that's because they are basic and cheap. Just about enough for the standard system configuration.

However, the high-wattage PSUs from Delta have always been very good quality.

but at 300w it won't run anything but an entry-leval video card.

For sure.

Back