A major iOS bug is crashing devices and blocking access to messaging apps

Polycount

Staff

Just days after we reported on Apple's desire to delay iOS updates in the interest of shipping out a more stable, bug-free experience for their users, a major new software bug has already been discovered.

As initially reported by Mobile World, the bug in question occurs when a user running iOS 11.2.5 receives a message containing a specific Indian language character.

Once the problematic message has been received, iOS will crash and any attempts to re-open the app containing the message will typically be met with failure. Through their own testing, The Verge discovered other apps are also affected by this bug including Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, Outlook and Gmail.

This bug may not be a problem for most users at the moment but it does carry certain risks if Apple fails to patch it in a timely manner. For example, some bad actors could send emails containing the character in question to iOS users with the intent of crashing their device.

However, it seems users may not have to deal with the problem for much longer. iOS 11.3's public beta reportedly does not contain this bug, suggesting Apple may already be aware of the issue.

Permalink to story.

Oh common guys, give them a break, a small company like Apple, trying to make a living ... is hard when competing with the corner shop liquor store as alcohol has no bugs as far as I know. And the Chinese company they outsourced the software patching has only two guys in an apartment at the outskirts of Shenzen. But they are working 20 hours a day so be patient ... and you are using anyway your iphone wrong, the best way to use it is to pay Apple 1000 bucks and leave it in the Apple store for safe keeping ... would be a shame to drop it and crack the screen isn't it? And those bugs would not bother you at all!

Yes, let all the Apple haters come and slag them for a "major" bug that affects virtually no one and has already been fixed in an upcoming patch...

A phone that expensive touted as being so advanced should not have the seemingly endless amount of bugs, glitches, or whatever you want to call them. And it's not selling well, wonder why

A phone that expensive touted as being so advanced should not have the seemingly endless amount of bugs, glitches, or whatever you want to call them. And it's not selling well, wonder why
It hasn’t had “endless bugs” - they just get reported on more than any other because of Apple’s popularity... and “not selling well”?!?! They’ve sold more than any other smartphone....

Everything youve said, thats an android phone for sure.

Everything youve said, thats an android phone for sure.
I don't feel I'm bashing iphones. When I bought my first mobile phone about 8 months ago I almost bought one (6S model) bought a mid-range Samsung instead, it was about 1/3 of the X iphone cost, I'm not having any problems, nor am I reading about them. That may be because of the number of manufacturers of Android phones though. Only the most severe problems make the news, while the top line Apple phone by its very nature gets the news.
Apple has stated they are cutting the production of the X iphone by about 50%. I still say, for the price, it should be better. I'm sure they tried, but you just can't hit a home run every single time. I'm sure the next one will be better if they don't rush it out (delays and maybe too much concentration on this one due to the facial recognition system problems).

Actually @Kenrick I have changed my view. When I think about it, there are many, many articles about bad Android phones. Like the article on this site about how Samsung is stopping the roll-out of Oreo to Galaxy S8's, problems with some LG's, etc.
In retrospect I think I formed this view because Android is so fragmented. With so many vendors a problem in one brand doesn't really stick in your memory while iOS being only on one manufacturer makes you read iphone, iphone, iphone so I remember it more.

Back