A patched version of Cats is being sent to theaters

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: Video games receiving patches post-release is a common occurrence, often to address issues discovered by players, but it rarely happens with movies. Now, however, an updated version of the musical Cats that includes “some improved visual effects” is being sent to theaters.

As reported by Hollywood Reporter, a memo was sent from Universal explaining the change, which comes at the request of director Tom Hooper.

Cats has been torn apart by critics since its release, and Hooper said it was finished a day before the Friday premiere, requiring him to work “36 hours in a row.” Some viewers have spotted mistakes in the film, including Judy Dench having a human hand complete with wedding ring.

Exactly what effects, other than fixing the errors, are being added to the updated version haven’t been revealed, though Universal did tell exhibitors that the running time isn't affected.

The updated movie was made available to download yesterday via a satellite server. Exhibitors who don’t have access to the server will receive the new version on a hard drive by tomorrow. Universal has asked for the current release of Cats to be replaced as soon as possible.

Vanity Fair reports that while changes to films after they release are rare, they do happen. Stanley Kubrick trimmed some of The Shining after its first weekend, and Snow Dogs, The Program, and Wonder Boys all had post-release edits.

It’s very unlikely that the new version of Cats, which had a $6.5 million opening, will change critics’ opinions or make people more willing to see it, of course.

Permalink to story.

I saw one of the original productions off Broadway decades ago and it was an exceptional work, but we'll have to see just how much they changed the original story line, still I have difficulty seeing how the critique's have been so damning ..... unless the fact there are no lasers, big explosions or dead bodies all over the place ..... LOL

As far as I'm concerned, (at least not from the promo I saw), Jennifer Hudson murders, (nay verily screams) "Memory", to the point where Elaine Page is likely home hiding under the sofa with her paws over her face.
I saw one of the original productions off Broadway decades ago and it was an exceptional work, but we'll have to see just how much they changed the original story line, still I have difficulty seeing how the critique's have been so damning ..... unless the fact there are no lasers, big explosions or dead bodies all over the place ..... LOL
That's sort of a misconception, since "Summer Movies" which do have plenty of incendiary content, get panned all the time.

In here "recent work", Carrie Underwood has, "never met a country song she didn't like screaming at the top of her lungs.

Jennifer Hudson crushes "Memory" like she has two full sets of lungs" and not in a good way. In fact, she even sounds a bit off key. Maybe they didn't quite "Autotune" (**) her track with the orchestra's pitch.

In any event, I'll see whatever version winds up at Redbox, and not before.

(**) See https://www.antarestech.com for more info on autotune

(Disclaimer I haven't seen the movie or the play).

Sorry, but you are expecting a movie director to remain any faithfulness to the play? I'll just say I find it unlikely. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas kept surprisngly close to (the first 3/4ths or so) of the book (which was fine, the last 1/4 of the book was dreary.) But otherwise I've not seen a single movie based on book or play that even stayed close. I'm guessing the reviewers know what they are doing.

As for the comment about explosions and lasers.. you have not looked at movie reviews recently I think. The online reviewers I've seen burned out on these mindless superhero movies years ago, basically for some yet another superhero movie say "No review given. See my review of (whatever superhero movie from 5 years ago). It's exactly the same. I don't like them; If you like them you'll like it, if you don't like them you won't like it." and a neutral 5/10 stars if they can't just leave that part blank.

(Disclaimer I haven't seen the movie or the play).

As for the comment about explosions and lasers.. you have not looked at movie reviews recently I think. The online reviewers I've seen burned out on these mindless superhero movies years ago, basically for some yet another superhero movie say "No review given. See my review of (whatever superhero movie from 5 years ago). It's exactly the same. I don't like them; If you like them you'll like it, if you don't like them you won't like it." and a neutral 5/10 stars if they can't just leave that part blank.
My experience with "superhero" movie reviews goes all the way back to "Siskel & Ebert" on TV.

They never liked and always panned then, Instead preferring to gush over human emotional interactional bullsh!t one camera nonsense.

I found that I"m a classless and easily entertained soul, and if the trashed it, that only made me want to see it more.

Of course, that may or may not attach to this version of "Cats".

The stage production of Cats, with most of the original cast (?), is already available on DVD (1998) and IMHO, is well worth watching or owning, as the case may be..

Cats the musical was a very mediocre production with great costumes and good songs. It was created for the bussed in crowd it has very little story line or dialog just a weak pollyanna 'we should not judge one another' message. It pales compared with musicals such as Man of La Mancha, Hair, Jesus Christ Superstar, A Chorus Line, Les Misérables or The Music Man. So, after seeing the trailer, the movie looks to be an improvement. Rotten Tomatoes ratings are a joke now anyway.

....[ ]... So, after seeing the trailer ("Cats"), the movie looks to be an improvement. Rotten Tomatoes ratings are a joke now anyway.....[ ]....
Of course the trailer had to include, "Memory". IMO, Jennifer Hudson butchers it in a, "I'm singing this so loud, it I must be feeling it deeply", use of excessive force. It's pretty much an "on the threshold of a scream" (**), delivery. I said this before, but I would swear they had her auto-tuned to a different A than the orchestra.

But when you get past the flowery poetry, some of Shakespeare's stuff isn't that deep either.

Oddly enough, I get the same ambivalent reaction to something like, "madman with OCD wants to kill one particular whale".

Then again, IMO musical theater is quite pretentious anyway. Being the case of arrested development that I am, before I'd ever beg, borrow, steal, or accept a free ticket to, a ticket to "Hamilton", I'd hit up Redbox for any of the "Transformers" series

(**) My apologies to the ". Moody Blues" for that ugly paraphrase

Last edited:
Back