A question about DVI and HDMI output

childofthetao

Sorry if this is a long winded question.

When I use DVI output my monitor allows me to choose from certain presets like "game" or "movie" that effect brightness etc. There is a "Dynamic contrast" preset which gives by far the best colours, however it is no good for even mildly dark scenes. However if I use HDMI output I cannot choose them as the colours seem much better and choosing the preset is not necessary, it looks as good as DVI using "dynamic contrast" and works in dark scenes perfectly.

When using DVI, I am on my PC as it has no HDMI output. When using HDMI output I am using the PS3 which has no DVI output. In both cases I am using the same monitor.

Now to my question, if I buy a DVI to HDMI cable, will the output of my PC be the same as the output of my PS3? ie perfect colours/brightness from using HDMI?

Thanks

The answer is probably. Your monitor probably isn't smart enough to be able to distinguish between a DVI to HDMI converter cable and a regular HDMI cable. But you simply will not know for sure until you try. For some reason your TV manufacturer decided that you would not be allowed to fine tune the picture while using DVI or maybe the DVI connector simply bypasses the "fine tuning" circuits.

I have a both a DVI and an HDMI output on my video card, but my monitor (32" JVC TV) only has HDMI inputs and I'm currently using a DVI to HDMI cable to run the video to the monitor. The TV allows me to make any adjustments using either a HDMI cable or a DVI to HDMI cable, but the video is brighter when using an HDMI cable.

Issue with DVI; Dvi->HDMI->Television will drop audio, as the DVI does not carry it.
HDMI does carry audio+video however.

The solution is to run composite RCA connections for the Audio to the TV.

Now if you're concerned only for the PC - - then the Audio information is obtained from the HDMI card (PCI) and an extra cable to the audio from it.

Back