A staggering number of Twitter accounts have never published a tweet, report claims

Shawn Knight

Staff member

twitter fake

Twitter is one of the most popular social networks in the world with some 974 million accounts but just how many of those have ever published? A new report from Twocharts, a website that tracks Twitter activity, claims to have the answer and it just might surprise you.

The social media tracking site tells us that roughly 44 percent of all Twitter accounts have never published a single tweet while 30 percent have sent 10 or fewer tweets. Their data isn’t based on whether or not someone has logged into a particular account but rather if an account has retweeted or sent out its own unique tweet.

There’s plenty to take away from the findings depending on how you look at it.

There are no doubt a lot of people that have Twitter accounts simply for the sake of staying informed and reading posts from others. Some people prefer to take everything in rather than voice their own opinion which makes perfect sense.

Several other scenarios could also explain some of the non-tweeting accounts. Perhaps some people lost their login information or decided to create a separate user account shortly after creating the first account.

On the flip side, Twitter claimed to have 241 million active users as of the last three months of 2013. An active user is described as someone that logs into an account at least one time per month. It’s important to note that their definition of an active user doesn’t have anything to do with whether or not someone sent a tweet or retweet during a given month.

Permalink to story.

Perhaps some people lost their login information or decided to create a separate user account shortly after creating the first account.
I believe the large number is from people setting up many, many accounts. What people do is create a whole bunch of accounts in order to boost the follower counts of their favorite celebs. I heard that Justin Bieber (often mentioned as having the most followers) has about 60% of his followers as bogus accounts. Lady Gaga also has a high number of them.

What a bunch of ****'s.

Hey I have a unique idea - let's do what everyone else is doing.

While we are at it, let's become overly obsessed with what people think about us and if we get requoted or 'liked'.

Fark that.

I don't use twitter or any social media for good reason: anything I post online can potentially damage my chances of getting a job.

Yeah.... I get a lot of those random people following me...... not that I use it all that much :p

I use Twitter for personal use and for posting information for a non-profit group. My personal account is used mostly just for reading what other people are saying - I'm following about 200 people but only have 10 followers and about 20 tweets in several months since I opened the account. The other one, however, has about 11,000 tweets in about two years and 250 followers.

Think about the Miranda warning and then remember that your metadata is being stored somewhere with a program making decisions based on it that may affect your future.
It is best to steer clear of all social sites.

I've had my account for over 3 years and I have probably not made more than 30 tweets, from which 20 should have been from the first week.

Back