Inactive A VERY Persistent Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!

Recently I encountered a deadly and very persistent virus. It disabled my operating system (Windows 10) almost completely, no matter what I did (including in safe mode and with no internet), while opening countless times Microsoft's support/help page in my internet browsers. I succeeded (barely..) to reinstall Windows (without formatting the drive), but Windows couldn't launch..

Then, after doing a low level format to both my main drive and my SSD drive, I tried to install Windows - both Windows 10 and Windows 7, but no matter what I did, Windows Setup stop responding (can't click or type anything) after a while.

Moreover, my Bios was also infected! When I opened it, the BIOS "help" window opened many times (similar to what happened in Windows) and I needed to close it again and again. So I downloaded an updated Bios in a different PC and used a flash drive to update the Bios (which solved this specific problem).

After that I also tried to remove the virus by doing a factory reset to my BIOS (I short the CMOS jumper and as well as removed the battery and returned it after a minute).

All that still didn't work... The virus is still there making Windows (10 and 7) setup non responsive.

I also ran Kaspersky Rescue Disk. No threats were detected. Before the scan it could only find "clock skew" (since I did factory reset to my BIOS). After the scan was completed the Kaspersky's interface stop responding, exactly as in any other interfaces (Windows 7/10 setup and Windows itself before I did the format). What happens is that after a while I can move the mouse but not click on anything, and most of the times the keyboard also stop doing anything as well. Meanwhile, the hard disk and the SSD drive are both disconnected, as well as the internet, so the problem is probably with the BIOS..

One last thing - I managed to backup some of my data before doing the format. Using a flash drive I transferred my data to my laptop. I fear it might got this infection as well. It hasn't shown the same symptoms yet, but sometimes it shows a strange error that it can't recognize a usb connection (while nothing is connected).

Clearly the virus did some heavy damage. I'll be happy if you can help me deal with this very unfortunate situation..

My spec:

Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H LGA 1150
Intel Core i5 4690 3.5 Ghz
G. Skill Ares 2X4 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz PC3-12800 Mhz
EVGA GTX750Ti Superclocked 2GB GDDR5
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
Corsair Force LS 120 GB SSD

BIOS infection is very rare but in any case since you did flash it there is no way in may be still infected.
So, as for your desktop and problems with reinstalling Windows I suggest new topic in Windows forum.

As for your laptop...

Please, complete all steps listed here: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic58138.html
Make sure, you PASTE all logs. If some log exceeds 50,000 characters post limit, split it between couple of replies.
Attached logs won't be reviewed.

Please, observe following rules:
  • Read all of my instructions very carefully. Your mistakes during cleaning process may have very serious consequences, like unbootable computer.
  • If you're stuck, or you're not sure about certain step, always ask before doing anything else.
  • Please refrain from running any tools, fixes or applying any changes to your computer other than those I suggest.
  • Never run more than one scan at a time.
  • Keep updating me regarding your computer behavior, good, or bad.
  • The cleaning process, once started, has to be completed. Even if your computer appears to act better, it may still be infected. Once the computer is totally clean, I'll certainly let you know.
  • If you leave the topic without explanation in the middle of a cleaning process, you may not be eligible to receive any more help in malware removal forum.
  • I close my topics if you have not replied in 5 days. If you need more time, simply let me know. If I closed your topic and you need it to be reopened, simply PM me.

Thank you for the reply!

Please note, as I mentioned, the system stop responding (in the exact same way - UI stop responding after a while) even when I run Kaspersky Rescue disk's interface with both drives disconnected.. So how can it be that the problem can be solved by reinstalling Windows?

Regarding my Laptop I'll follow the instructions you offered. It will take me some time because I need to backup all my data on many DVDs first (I don't want to connect any other media or the internet).

"So how can it be that the problem can be solved by reinstalling Windows?"
I didn't say anything about reinstalling Windows. Since you CAN NOT reinstall Windows I can't check it against infection. Your problem belongs to Windows forum not this one.

Your laptop we CAN check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back