Ability to delete threads or posts

TheDreams

I think it would be useful if users were given the ability to delete their own threads and/or posts, I find myself not thoroughly reading a post > making a stupid reply > then realizing what it said or you post a thread about a problem, then figuring it out. I think this would be a good feature.

We have set up the forum to allow own post edits and deletes. Maybe Xenforo's complex permission system is losing some of it in translation, wouldn't be the first time, but otherwise these are the current settings:
  • Newly registered accounts - 10 minutes
  • Verified accounts (short term) - 2 hours
  • Verified accounts (long term) - unlimited
The above applies to both post editing and deletion.

My assumption would be just to the right of the Edit option at the bottom of the post you want to manage.

I'm not seeing it. I just looked through the options available again.

I can take snap shots of what is visible if you like.

It's a moving metric, but the first threshold is passed at the 60 post mark and over 3 months of registration, the second threshold takes 4+ times that, and there's a more extreme one for long-term regulars that takes 3+ years and even more posts.

It's a moving metric, but the first threshold is passed at the 60 post mark and over 3 months of registration, the second threshold takes 4+ times that, and there's a more extreme one for long-term regulars that takes 3+ years and even more posts.
OK, this new extension seems to have locked all posts from being edited, prior to it's installation.

The delete button does appear on a new post, as I was able to remove my last outburst from this thread.

The delete function, (at least it seems to me), should only be available for a short time, as subsequent posts may be dependent on the post being yanked. However, are the edit and delete functions interdependent, with respect to time available?

I think the delete function is a very worthwhile improvement, but it seems it might need a bit of tweaking. Sorry for any extra work this has caused, or might cause in the future..

Last edited:
Not trying to rush you or anything @Julio Franco, just unsure if you unwatched this thread. Editting is impossible now, after the time period is up D:
  • Newly registered accounts - 10 minutes
  • Verified accounts (short term) - 2 hours
  • Verified accounts (long term) - unlimited

In fixing the delete feature it seems I enforced the edit times correctly as well. What's your scenario in which you'd want to edit a post after 2 hours?

What's your scenario in which you'd want to edit a post after 2 hours?
I was just wondering overall, if the times were for the delete feature only or if they were both impacted by those time increments. At the moment, I do not have a specific post that I want to edit. In fact, that might be something I would be willing to "subscribe" for, as in payment so I would be able to edit and delete as I wish.

Current permissions are the way they were always meant to be, but if we find a need to change them in the future, we can always do so.

In fixing the delete feature it seems I enforced the edit times correctly as well. What's your scenario in which you'd want to edit a post after 2 hours?
I always reread my posts, up to days later. Sometimes I like to put in a better choice of word, correct a missing or improperly placed punctuation mark, a missed or incorrectly capitalized letter. "Tweaking" I suppose you'd call it, or perhaps, self grammar nazi-ing. I don't correct or change anything that would tamper with, or substantially change, the overall content.

Still, if the situation arises where I have to read my posts a year later, I don't want to be confronted with my errors if it can be avoided.

The self removal feature is very worthwhile. But, it's primary use is when server delay causes double posts. I don't line up to, or like bothering anyone by complaining about that, and with self delete it's a simple click to rectify the error.(y)

I full well realize you shouldn't be able to remove a post if another has made after it, or it has been used in a quotation. But, if you find out you've got the "I" before "E" incorrectly, and want to fix it, the time frame shouldn't matter.

Last edited:
I've spotted a mistake I made in a post that I made less than a day ago but can't edit the post. It has been followed by a couple of other posts but that shouldn't be an issue. This certainly needs rethinking. It's really annoying.

Understandable situation, and I tend to agree. I have relaxed settings so verified users (short term) go from 2 hours to 1 day to edit. Having that said, you are a verified long-term user, and should have unlimited permissions to edit. Honestly it's Xenforo's overly complicated permissions that's baffling me at this point though who knows, maybe I just fixed it on this last revision.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks. I revisited the post and was able to edit it. The change was from "File Factory" to "Format Factory". One's a website for downloading files and the other is a conversion program.

@Julio Franco It seems the recent changes you've made, have had a different effect than the one you stated above, I believe I am a short term verified user, yet I still have the ability to edit a thread I made on the 5th of January?
fa3fqq.png

TheDreams, I'm sure that by definition you are not a short-term verified user. I can't say with absolute certainty since I'm not an Admin but it's clear to me that you are considered a long-term user, so, no problem.

I saw a thread that brought to mind something I'd struggled with years ago and had posted about. When I looked to find my posting record it looked like posts before 2014 weren't there. After a bit of work I've managed to locate them. This needs looking at because I could have responded to to more enquiries. There's a button for finding earlier posts but I missed it.

@mailpup Hm, so then I guess I read this wrong
Since I joined Feb 5, 2013, I didn't think that I was be a long term user since Julio stated it takes 3+ years.

Well, I could be wrong as well. Perhaps something has changed. In any case, it appears you you have the ability to edit the posts you want so maybe meeting the second threshold is long-term enough. Although there might be something unclear regarding Julio's definitions, is this a problem for you in some way?

Back