Accidentally disabled graphic display and now I can't see anything

Sorry I'm no good with computer so please bear with me. I have a Dell desktop XPS 8930 and have Windows 11. All of a sudden today the monitor showed a horizontal line at the lower end of the screen which flickered every couple of second. I've tried to fix it by fiddling with my graphic display. I've accidentally disabled my Intel graphic display (can't remember what it is) and now my monitor is a complete blank and I can't see a thing! I've forced shut down my computer and switched it back on but obviously still nothing happened. As I'm unable to see anything once I switched on the power, I can't do anything even log into my account. Please can anyone help? Thank you!

On Windows 10 if you interrupted the boot up a few times it would boot to a troubleshoot screen where you could do a system restore. I wonder if that works on Windows 11? I have not built or used a W11 rig yet.

I don't know if I'm in the troubleshoot screen or not, since I can't see anything. There's no start up logo or anything at all when I press the power button. It remains a black screen throughout each time I tried to get it into safe mode, and I had to force shut it down every time since I can't see anything.

If he dose not have a start up logo. There is know why he is going to get back in. Even booting into the bios if possible will not help if the key board don't work. His best bet is to take it to a repair shop and ask them what to do.

I concur with Cobalt006. That monitor seems to have failed.
The easiest way to confirm it is to connect another monitor or your TV if it has a matching input to connect a PC.
The repair shop is available, always.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. After much fiddling around I found a photo from a Dell community forum about the back of my desktop, and realized there're two HDMI ports at the back. I've been plugging the cable in 'zone 1', I then tried to re-plug the cable in 'zone 2', and when I switch the computer back on, the images instantly came back! (including the Dell start up logo which I didn't know it existed before, which makes me think I've been plugging into the wrong port for the past 4 years since I bought the desktop! Although I don't really know the difference between the 2 different ports). Anyway it's a big relief I managed to see the screen again, but the original problem of the flickering line on the monitor is still there, so I think it's a faulty monitor rather than the desktop itself, which is easily replaceable.

Attachments

• Back2.JPG
    Back2.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Back2 (1).JPG
    Back2 (1).JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 4
If he dose not have a start up logo. There is know why he is going to get back in. Even booting into the bios if possible will not help if the key board don't work. His best bet is to take it to a repair shop and ask them what to do.
I concur with Cobalt006. That monitor seems to have failed.
The easiest way to confirm it is to connect another monitor or your TV if it has a matching input to connect a PC.
The repair shop is available, always.
A major point of computer forums, and specifically this subforum, is for people to get help without going to a repair shop. Thats kind of how these forums got started, to help people out, out of the kindness of your heart, so they didn't have to pay.

I've been plugging the cable in 'zone 1', I then tried to re-plug the cable in 'zone 2', and when I switch the computer back on, the images instantly came back! (including the Dell start up logo which I didn't know it existed before, which makes me think I've been plugging into the wrong port for the past 4 years since I bought the desktop!
Well, it shouldn't really matter which port you're plugged into, if you're only using a single monitor.

However,
Port one could be bad.
Or, there could be corrosion or dirt in the socket.
Or, there could be a bad or bent pin in the socket.

The last issue, happens quite frequently on USB ports, due to people trying to force the plug in upside down, along with the same dirt and corrosion issues I mentioned above..

If you wanted to give the port :"the acid test", so to speak, you could get a spray can of "electrical contact cleaner", a give the socket a good shot of that. Remember to power down before you try that though. and let it dry thoroughly before you power back up. "Canned air" will aid the drying process quite a bit.

Standard brake cleaner, (trichloroethane) will work as well, but it does attack some plastics.

For some trivia, trichloroethane is what pit the "T", in, "DDT".

Last edited:
Back