Acer AM5100-E5305A computer: no boot beeps and a black screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Desktop Model: Acer Aspire M5100-E5305A
Operating system: Vista 64-bit
LCD screen: DELL

Computer has two hard disks, each 500 GB. First one with two partitions is running the operating system, second one just for data.

Replaced the second 0.5 TB hard drive with a 1.5 TB disk.
Tried to start the computer, no boot beeps, and a black screen.
Both fans are running, the one from the source and the one on top the CPU, but otherwise the computer is dead.

Put back the old second hard drive, re-started, computer is still dead, no boot beeps, no video output. Keyboard and mouse are dead too.

Took out the power and held down the power button for 60 seconds, re-started, did not do any good, computer is still dead.

Any ideas what I can do? Computer is back to its original hardware configuration, but it would not run, not even a bloody beep!

Thank you,
Colin.

Replacing the power source does not look a simple task ...

raybay, thank you very much for your quick reply!

As I said, both fans are working, and all the lights are on, how can this happen if the source is blown?
Also, the source is very hard wired by the looks of it, how can one replace it so easily? Do I have to cut those wires and rewire them again? I have never replaced a source, to be honest!

Thank you,
Colin.

There are three independent units to a power supply... it is not uncommon to have some parts working while it still will not power up your computer.
But this is why I suggest you borrow a power supply to test, rather than buy one. Nobody knows yet what is wrong.

You have that frustrating problem of a lot of trouble-shooting to figger out what is the problem.

You could have a defective cpu fan, defective power supply, defective hard drive, defective memory, or defective motherboard... and nobody knows what is the defective component...

It is just not wise to spend money on parts until you know more.

Were it mine, I would start by testing the memory by exchanging out existing memory... then the cpu fan, then the power supply...

That Acer is not well known yet. But Acer's are not famous for reliability.

Best advice I can give you is to take good notes, and have a plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back