Acer Aspire 1680: messed up LCD

Hi
I'm having this issue on a Acer aspire 1680: a couple of days ago it started showing a messed up screen for no apparent reason:here's a screenshot
imageshack.us/photo/my-images/200/screenshotsr.jpg
I'm sure that it isn't an LCD trouble because plugging the laptop to an external screen via VGA doesn't change a thing and, as you can see, taking a snapshot shows those blocks too.
Swinging the lcd open and closed doesn't affect the matter; but I noticed that pushing gently the keyboard and touchpad area makes those artifacts move around and sometimes disappear as well; so I disassembled the whole laptop, cleared all the dust, undone and re-done all the connections but with no luck!
What could I try next?

Yikes! "so I disassembled the whole laptop, cleared all the dust, undone and re-done all the connections but with no luck!"... I hope you have experience with repairing laptops :eek:

You could compound the troubles 1000 fold by doing this without experience.

Sounds like the video driver is corrupted, but if you have laptop skills you might have tried updating the video driver already. In that case, the motherboard might be at fault

Hi TMagic, thank you for your interest!
I'm not a pro but I know all the big risks and I took all the precautions.
Video drivers can't be the culprit because the BIOS writing are currupted too and the "acer" startup screen as well.
If I were sure that the mainboard is irreparably "fried" I'd accept that, but the fact that squeezing the laptop's base makes the artifacts move/disappear makes me think it something fixable...

"If I were sure that the mainboard is irreparably "fried" I'd accept that, but the fact that squeezing the laptop's base makes the artifacts move/disappear makes me think it something fixable"...

It is possible that the video chip on the motherboard has become partially un-soldered, but this fact still means that you will have to replace the motherboard. The chip is a surface mounted device, so repairing is really not practical

Back