Acer Aspire netbook upgrade, hard drive or RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fadownjoo

I have an acer aspire one 532h, and I want to hit it up with some performance upgrades. Now for $50 bucks, i can get a 2gb 800mhz ram,or upgrade the hard drive to a 7200 rpm one. What do you guys think would help most, the ram or the hard drive? Also, does this netbook even support 800mhz ram? And is the hard drive 2.5" or 1.8"?..Thx

Thanks that answers some questions. But I still would like to know what will offer the best performance upgrade.

ye

yes thats what i have been seeing online. Thanks. Il get myself an 800 mhz 2g stick and find a way to overclock this little thing. Ive seen it go to 2.2ghz, just gotta figure out how.

The 1GB stock RAM chip in my girlfriend's Asus Eee PC was giving us problems, so I put in a 512MB one from a laptop I no longer use. The performance decrease was INSANE. She can no longer have iTunes open alongside anything else or it freezes completely. So my conclusion is not the most scientific one - but from personal experience I would say upgrading the RAM will be the most solid performance boost. Also, something to consider instead of a 7200 rpm HDD would be solid state technology. If you have a home server, store data on the cloud, have an external HD, or just not a lot of data, it would be a viable and solid option to put an 80GB SSD in your netbook. Alternately, you could put a 160GB SSD in, and not take a hit on capacity. Those aren't cheap though, as I'm sure you know

I own two netbooks

Acer Aspire One D250xxx originally had Windows XP Home SP3, 1GB of RAM, 160GB HDD
802.11g wireless
Now it has Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, 2GB of RAM & SDHC 4GB (Class 4) ReadyBoost

Asus Eee PC 1005HABxxx originally had Windows XP Home SP3, 1GB of RAM, 160GB HDD
802.11n wireless
Now it has Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, 2GB of RAM & SDHC 4GB (Class 4) ReadyBoost
ASHE - this feature OC and pushes the video to 200MHz instead of 160Mhz and increase battery life longer than the Acer Battery.

I would put ssd if it wasnt so damn expensive. I even considered putting like an 8 or 16g ssd in mini pci-e slot. But i just bought the crystal hd chip, so that slot is taken. Also tipstir, does the windows 7 readyboost make a difference? i tried it for a week with a 1gb card and didnt see any difference.

upgrade Acer Aspire 532h netbook

With all the apparently successful upgrades to RAM that people seem to be doing to this model, why do you suppose Acer Customer Support continues to insist, when asked, that this model CANNOT be upgraded beyond the stock 1G memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back