Acer launches super-thin, Thunderbolt-equipped Aspire S5 for $1,400

Jos

Staff

Acer is stepping up its game in the Ultrabook market with an updated version of their S3 model as well as an all-new Aspire S5 that’s being touted as the thinnest Ultrabook currently available. The 13.3-inch laptop, which was first unveiled at CES 2012 in January, features a magnesium-aluminum alloy enclosure with brushed metallic accents that measures just 15mm at its thickest point and weighs under 3 pounds.

The Acer Aspire S5 will be available starting the last week of June in a single configuration priced at $1,399. That will get you a third-generation Intel Core i7-3517U processor (4MB L3 cache, 1.9-3.0GHz), 4GB of RAM, a 256GB SSD, and a 1366 x 768 resolution display. There’s also a motorized panel below the hinge that opens with the touch of a button, revealing two USB 3.0 ports, as well as one HDMI and Thunderbolt each.

acer aspire s5 ultrabook thunderbolt

It will ship with Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit pre-installed and includes unlimited AcerCloud storage for backing up your data. Also, the 2310 mAh battery is said to last up to 6.5 hours.

Meanwhile, the budget-minded S3 model is also getting updated with Ivy Bridge processor options and up to a 256GB solid-state drive. The base model still packs a Core i3 “Sandy Bridge” part as well as a hybrid hard drive, combining a 320GB HDD with a small 20GB SSD to save costs. It’ll be available starting at $650.

Permalink to story.

Very interesting ultrabook, especially with the "magic flip" ports on the back. My only concern is what would happens if the mechanism fails, and of course the blahblahblah screenresoultion blahblahblah.

I was getting all geeked out until I saw they put a crappy screen on this one!!! Anything over $1k should have at least one of the new 1080p screens.

another one with crappy screen resolution /cry
..still waiting and saving hehe :p

To keep the price point the screen res sucks, ( they had to pay the royalties on thunderbolt..)

Oh wow, another 1366x768 panel from Acer!
They really must hate staying in business.

Back