Acer Predator X34P Monitor Review: 1440p Ultrawide Gets 120Hz Boost

"This is one of the cases where the G-Sync model not only supports Nvidia’s variable refresh technology, but also packs additional features exclusive to the G-Sync variant."

Is this the next evolution of G-Sync, where you can't even use all the monitor's features without an Nvidia card? This is worrying.

Does the curve on this unit affect text clarity at all? There are a handful of other korean monitors on the market (with a VA panel though) with very similar specs but for like $400 - 500 instead but some people report text clarity issues.

Price wise, this monitor is a bit high. Typically I expect lower pricing compared to ASUS and BenQ. Right now you can buy the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q, which is also 120 HZ 21:9 2k IPS for around $1,200.

"This is one of the cases where the G-Sync model not only supports Nvidia’s variable refresh technology, but also packs additional features exclusive to the G-Sync variant."

Is this the next evolution of G-Sync, where you can't even use all the monitor's features without an Nvidia card? This is worrying.
To be fair, that's always been the case for all G-Sync Screens.

Does the curve on this unit affect text clarity at all? There are a handful of other korean monitors on the market (with a VA panel though) with very similar specs but for like $400 - 500 instead but some people report text clarity issues.

Price wise, this monitor is a bit high. Typically I expect lower pricing compared to ASUS and BenQ. Right now you can buy the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q, which is also 120 HZ 21:9 2k IPS for around $1,200.

Where do you get Korean monitor with similar specs for $400 - $500 I assume AUD? The closest (actually very close) is Crossover UW3535 which is the fourth monitor with 3440 x 1440 120Hz, is at $850+ (AUD), which uses the same panel as Acer Z35P.

Where do you get Korean monitor with similar specs for $400 - $500 I assume AUD? The closest (actually very close) is Crossover UW3535 which is the fourth monitor with 3440 x 1440 120Hz, is at $850+ (AUD), which uses the same panel as Acer Z35P.

My numbers were is USD. The Pixio PX347c can be found on eBay for sub $500. There are other off-brand monitors using the same panel as well if you don't want to pay the name tax. Getting it shipped to aussie might be expensive though.

My numbers were is USD. The Pixio PX347c can be found on eBay for sub $500. There are other off-brand monitors using the same panel as well if you don't want to pay the name tax. Getting it shipped to aussie might be expensive though.

The Pixio PX347c is technically not in the same ballpark. There are only FOUR monitors that can do 3440 x 1440 120Hz at the moment, Acer X34P and Z35P, Alienware AW3418 and Crossover UW3535. The AW3418 uses the same panel as X34P (IPS) and the UW3535 uses the same panel as Z35P (VA). UW3535 is $699 USD. This is actually huge as not even ASUS has UWQHD monitor that can do 120Hz whereas Crossover can. Crossover's own 34U100 that can only do 100Hz is $499 like the PX347c.

The Pixio PX347c is technically not in the same ballpark. There are only FOUR monitors that can do 3440 x 1440 120Hz at the moment, Acer X34P and Z35P, Alienware AW3418 and Crossover UW3535. The AW3418 uses the same panel as X34P (IPS) and the UW3535 uses the same panel as Z35P (VA). UW3535 is $699 USD. This is actually huge as not even ASUS has UWQHD monitor that can do 120Hz whereas Crossover can. Crossover's own 34U100 that can only do 100Hz is $499 like the PX347c.

I don't get what you mean by "technically not in the same ballpark". This monitor in the review is still only a 100 Hz monitor. The only difference between this monitor and the Pixio is the panel. It's not like this panel has shown stellar performance either, with middling color performance. A VA panel is better for gaming due to the higher contrast ratio.

I don't get what you mean by "technically not in the same ballpark". This monitor in the review is still only a 100 Hz monitor. The only difference between this monitor and the Pixio is the panel. It's not like this panel has shown stellar performance either, with middling color performance. A VA panel is better for gaming due to the higher contrast ratio.

It is a 120Hz monitor, even the title said so. At least for the other 3 models I referenced, they are all GUARANTEED to have 120Hz. This is big in a way because we are so close to 144Hz UWQHD. No, the Pixio is not able to hit 120Hz, and I will not debate whether IPS or VA is better for gaming because they each have different strength and weakness. To make things clearer, I have referenced Crossover (Korean Monitor)'s own 34U100 (which is exactly the same as Pixio's) and their own more recent, 120Hz UW3535, which cost $200 more. You may not find that extra 20Hz worth $200 premium, but a lot of people will. Same thing with QHD 120Hz monitor back in the old days.

If anything, check out the AW3418DW. It seems to be a superior monitor using the same panel as the X34P.

Last edited:

It is a 120Hz monitor, even the title said so. At least for the other 3 models I referenced, they are all GUARANTEED to have 120Hz. This is big in a way because we are so close to 144Hz UWQHD. No, the Pixio is not able to hit 120Hz, and I will not debate whether IPS or VA is better for gaming because they each have different strength and weakness. To make things clearer, I have referenced Crossover (Korean Monitor)'s own 34U100 (which is exactly the same as Pixio's) and their own more recent, 120Hz UW3535, which cost $200 more. You may not find that extra 20Hz worth $200 premium, but a lot of people will. Same thing with QHD 120Hz monitor back in the old days.

If anything, check out the AW3418DW. It seems to be a superior monitor using the same panel as the X34P.
But it ISN'T a 120Hz monitor.... it's a 100Hz monitor that overclocks to 120Hz....

Acer has produced a winner, but to keep it simple it's going to have to cut that price by half to attract a lot of their current market .....

But it ISN'T a 120Hz monitor.... it's a 100Hz monitor that overclocks to 120Hz....
By the same logic the Pixio is a 60Hz that OC to 100Hz. This is a native 100Hz that OC to 120Hz. It is not sentimental, it is fact. All the self proclaimed 100Hz monitor are in fact 60Hz native OC to 100Hz as they usually use the same panels. The 120Hz monitors are 100Hz native and again, same panels.

To go further in details, both the IPS 120Hz and VA 120Hz ATM for UWQHD is produced by AUO which is Acer's spin off. That is why you don't see any from LG or Samsung yet. Not even Asus has one. And no Pixio doesn't have one. Crossover is the only cheap alternative at this stage.

By the same logic the Pixio is a 60Hz that OC to 100Hz. This is a native 100Hz that OC to 120Hz. It is not sentimental, it is fact. All the self proclaimed 100Hz monitor are in fact 60Hz native OC to 100Hz as they usually use the same panels. The 120Hz monitors are 100Hz native and again, same panels.

To go further in details, both the IPS 120Hz and VA 120Hz ATM for UWQHD is produced by AUO which is Acer's spin off. That is why you don't see any from LG or Samsung yet. Not even Asus has one. And no Pixio doesn't have one. Crossover is the only cheap alternative at this stage.

That pixio monitor is 100 Hz out of the box

https://pixiogaming.com/products/px347c-prime

Exactly the same as the monitor in this article. The adaptive sync range even is listed as going to 100 Hz.

Advertised 100Hz is different to 100Hz native. Monitors are factory overclocked. FreeSync is software implemented you can even overclock FreeSync range with CRU or other tools.

It doesn't really matter if it's overclocked at the factory, the specs are still the same to the end user. Obviously they tested the monitors to work perfectly at that refresh rate. Complaining that they are overclocking the panel out of the box is like complaining about Intel, Nvidia, or AMD binning better chips. That's how a majority of the PC industry works, better chips are pushed further. In fact many performance improvements come from more refined silicon. Monitors are no different.

You could literally take "Acer X34P" out of this review and replace it with "Dell Alienware AW3418DW", other than the fact that the Dell seems to be getting better reviews for color accuracy. Maybe they're using a better scaler or software, perhaps? The Dell regularly goes down to $999.

Better color reproduction aside, Dell will also ship out a new panel the next business day (no deposit, no charge) if yours goes belly up for the entire 3 year warranty. Then you put the bad panel in the box and send it back with the prepaid shipping label. Best RMA program ever. Does Acer do that?

Yes, I own the Dell so I may be biased, but I see no reason to pick the Acer at the same price point, especially when Dell is known for their monitor build quality and QC. Acer? Not so much... that's why there's been a steady supply of refurbs available seemingly since the X34A came out.

I actually got mine on Black Monday for $940. I also like the styling of the Dell better- but that's subjective. Oh, and it OC'd to 120Hz with the click of a button.

Last edited:
You could literally take "Acer X34p" out of this review and replace it with "Dell Alienware AW3418DW", other than the fact that the Dell seems to be getting better reviews for color accuracy. Maybe they're using a better scaler or software, perhaps? The Dell regularly goes down to $999.

Better color reproduction aside, Dell will also ship out a new panel the next business day (no deposit, no charge) if yours goes belly up for the entire 3 year warranty. Then you put the bad panel in the box and send it back with the prepaid shipping label. Best RMA program ever. Does Acer do that?

Yes, I own the Dell so I may be biased, but I see no reason to pick the Acer at the same price point, especially when Dell is known for their monitor build quality and QC. Acer? Not so much... that's why there's been a steady supply of refurbs available seemingly since the X34A came out.

I actually got mine on Black Monday for $940. I also like the styling of the Dell better- but that's subjective. Oh, and it OC'd to 120Hz with the click of a button.

Didn't realize they backed that monitor up with the same program as their UltraSharps. I've had many of the professional dell ultrasharp monitors and the replacement program is the best in the business. They would quickly ship out a replacement for even a single dead pixel. Most other monitor manufacturers don't care up to 8 dead pixels and even then you are the one who has to pay shipping. Just saying, shipping is like $40 for you and $17 for them. Commercial shipping discounts are awesome.

Didn't realize they backed that monitor up with the same program as their UltraSharps. I've had many of the professional dell ultrasharp monitors and the replacement program is the best in the business. They would quickly ship out a replacement for even a single dead pixel. Most other monitor manufacturers don't care up to 8 dead pixels and even then you are the one who has to pay shipping. Just saying, shipping is like $40 for you and $17 for them. Commercial shipping discounts are awesome.
Exactly, Dell's program is the best. People get so excited about a product's features and styling that they overlook the "boring" stuff like warranties and exchange programs- until they need it. Some people have even scored the Dell for $899- although yes that's still a ton of money for a monitor, and beyond what most are willing or able to spend.

I got tired of waiting and pulled the trigger (Dell gave me 12 months of interest-free financing) even though I'm well aware that HDR and Quantum Dot are on the horizon. I have a 1080 Ti and wasn't using it to its full potential on a 2560x1440p monitor with no Gsync. This was the most noticeable and dramatic upgrade to my gaming experience that I've made. We'll have to see how the new technologies work out in both pricing and issues. I rarely adopt new tech and like to give it a year or two to mature and hopefully get cheaper. I hope these things eventually go way down in price so more people can enjoy them.

You could literally take "Acer X34p" out of this review and replace it with "Dell Alienware AW3418DW", other than the fact that the Dell seems to be getting better reviews for color accuracy. Maybe they're using a better scaler or software, perhaps? The Dell regularly goes down to $999.

Correct, I used to buy monitors directly from Dell, the RMA program is unmatched, I will buy that Alienware over the Acer anyday just for that.

It doesn't really matter if it's overclocked at the factory, the specs are still the same to the end user. Obviously they tested the monitors to work perfectly at that refresh rate. Complaining that they are overclocking the panel out of the box is like complaining about Intel, Nvidia, or AMD binning better chips. That's how a majority of the PC industry works, better chips are pushed further. In fact many performance improvements come from more refined silicon. Monitors are no different.

And that is exactly why I'm pointing out why they are different. This panel goes to 120Hz, it doesn't matter if it's overclock, it's 120Hz panel vs 100Hz panel. They are not the same. Maybe not worth the price difference to some people, but this is how we get 144Hz/165Hz monitor in the first place. Factory overclocked.

They first went 60 -> 75 -> 85 -> 90 -> 95 -> 100 now 120Hz for UWQHD.

That pixio monitor is 100 Hz out of the box

https://pixiogaming.com/products/px347c-prime

Exactly the same as the monitor in this article. The adaptive sync range even is listed as going to 100 Hz.

Advertised 100Hz is different to 100Hz native. Monitors are factory overclocked. FreeSync is software implemented you can even overclock FreeSync range with CRU or other tools.
Response Time 8ms (GTG), that is twice as much as this monitor. lower the better

And that is exactly why I'm pointing out why they are different. This panel goes to 120Hz, it doesn't matter if it's overclock, it's 120Hz panel vs 100Hz panel. They are not the same. Maybe not worth the price difference to some people, but this is how we get 144Hz/165Hz monitor in the first place. Factory overclocked.

They first went 60 -> 75 -> 85 -> 90 -> 95 -> 100 now 120Hz for UWQHD.
I think you misunderstood the point of his original question.... Yes there are differences... but the "cheap Pixio" is still very similar... He was wondering if the extra money meant anything... stop quibbling over this nonsense and just answer... or STFU...

I think you misunderstood the point of his original question.... Yes there are differences... but the "cheap Pixio" is still very similar... He was wondering if the extra money meant anything... stop quibbling over this nonsense and just answer... or STFU...
No because you and him are arguing the reviewed X34P is not 120Hz, even when it is in the title. This is not sentimental, pricing is difference due to difference panel quality. Regardless of what you want to think, 120Hz is 120Hz and 100Hz is 100Hz. Even Acer's own X34 is cheaper than X34P because it's 100Hz. Don't forget Pixio's has very terrible FreeSync rate that even 34U100 is much better. Pixio is 80-100 (LOL) and 34U100 is 42-100. Good luck make use of Pixio's terrible FreeSync range.

Not to mention there is the whole Gsync and IPS, therefore price difference. The closest Korean Monitor comparable to this is UW3535 which is $699 on sale.

If you think the Pixio is very similar, go ahead and buy it. There is enough difference here to make a different price tier. Please call me again when Pixio is IPS, 120Hz and GSYNC, all of which cost $100-$200 premium. And FYI I'm a Korean monitor user, and I don't pretend that there isn't a difference.

Tl;dr the only thing similar the Pixio is to this is the resolution and panel size. 3440 X 1440 and 34". That's it. The end.

Last edited:
No because you and him are arguing the reviewed X34P is not 120Hz, even when it is in the title. This is not sentimental, pricing is difference due to difference panel quality. Regardless of what you want to think, 120Hz is 120Hz and 100Hz is 100Hz. Even Acer's own X34 is cheaper than X34P because it's 100Hz. Don't forget Pixio's has very terrible FreeSync rate that even 34U100 is much better. Pixio is 80-100 (LOL) and 34U100 is 42-100. Good luck make use of Pixio's terrible FreeSync range.

Not to mention there is the whole Gsync and IPS, therefore price difference. The closest Korean Monitor comparable to this is UW3535 which is $699 on sale.

If you think the Pixio is very similar, go ahead and buy it. There is enough difference here to make a different price tier. Please call me again when Pixio is IPS, 120Hz and GSYNC, all of which cost $100-$200 premium. And FYI I'm a Korean monitor user, and I don't pretend that there isn't a difference.

Tl;dr the only thing similar the Pixio is to this is the resolution and panel size. 3440 X 1440 and 34". That's it. The end.
I'm not arguing anything.... that would be you... again... we KNOW there are differences between the panels. But for a VAST majority of users, the size and resolution are what matters when one makes a purchase... The question asked was, is it worth spending the extra boatload of cash for the superior quality of this Acer....

Let me again repeat that this is NOT my argument... I'm just trying to help you out since you are either a) completely misunderstanding the debate or b) just being a troll

I myself have a very nice 4k Dell Monitor that I wouldn't trade in for anything cheaper....

I'm not arguing anything.... that would be you... again... we KNOW there are differences between the panels. But for a VAST majority of users, the size and resolution are what matters when one makes a purchase... The question asked was, is it worth spending the extra boatload of cash for the superior quality of this Acer....

Let me again repeat that this is NOT my argument... I'm just trying to help you out since you are either a) completely misunderstanding the debate or b) just being a troll

I myself have a very nice 4k Dell Monitor that I wouldn't trade in for anything cheaper....

I'm not trolling. I mistook you for Evernessince since he was the person who argued the Pixio has very similar specs (which I have proven nothing is similar beyond resolution and size).

As for your comment, vast majority of users wouldn't look at UWQHD in the first place, as it is 21:9 aspect ratio. Vast majority of users are using standard 16:9, and even then UWQHD is very rare. 2560 x 1080 would be more common.

And even then don't forget I brought up several times 34U100 and UW3535 which are both superior to the Pixio, at the price bracket of Pixio.

Back