Acer's new Chromebook 13 offers 1080p screen and all-day battery life

Jos

Staff

acer chromebook

As Chromebooks’ popularity continues on the rise Acer has unveiled a new 13-inch model featuring a full HD display and the promise of up to 13 hours battery life. Based on Nvidia’s quad-core Tegra K1 chip, the Chromebook 13 will be available in four different configurations going from from $280 to $380.

The base model packs 2GB of RAM and a 1366 x 768 pixel display, while the step up model moves to a 1920 x 1080 panel for just $20 more at $300. You can also opt for 4GB of RAM with the base 720p display for $330, or the full fledged 4GB RAM, 32GB storage and 1080p display model for $380.

The Tegra K1 inside runs at 2.1Ghz and has an extra battery-saving core alongside the standard quad-core ARM Cortex A15 processor. This is the same chip powering Nvidia’s Shield Tablet, which can handle Unreal Engine 4, though you won’t find much gaming content to take advantage of it in Chrome OS.

The laptop itself features a clean design with a matte white plastic finish, 0.7 inches thickness, and weighs in at about 3.3 pounds. The size allows for a full size keyboard, while in terms of ports and connectivity you get 802.11ac Wi-Fi, two USB 3.0, an SD card reader, HDMI output, and a headphones jack.

Spec by spec, the machine will more closely rival Samsung’s Chromebook 2, which is the only other Chrome OS laptop with a 1080p display, and is powered by Exynos 5 Octa 5800 2.0 GHz processor. In terms of pricing, however, the Acer Chromebook 13 is a better value offering comparable hardware for about $100 less, or double the storage capacity at the same $380 price point.

The Acer Chromebook 13 will be up for preorder starting today, with expected shipping in the US by the first week of September.

Permalink to story.

I bought a refurbished chromebook just to try one out in case I didn't like it. I wasn't even a google fan. now it's the only thing I carry with me.

At $380 for 1080P, 4GB RAB + 32GB Drive it seems still too expensive. This is configuration of today's mid-range mobile phone, except it is so much cheaper to manufacture.

In fact, you can get a mobile today for under $300 easily, even though it's hardware is worth about 50% or more of the price, while this white shiny toy has hardware in it worth even less, and yet suddenly it is $380 - how come?

It shouldn't cost more than $250.

Meanwhile, the notebook shelves are still littered with 15.6" 1366×768 res machines...

Think the title of the article is misleading, "all-day battery life" = all day, therefore 24 hours. However, actual battery life stated in the article is 13 hours.
The all day battery would only be true if we include 8 hours of sleep and the remaining 3 hours used for other activities such as eating, shower, toilet and other mundane stuff. =)

Think the title of the article is misleading, "all-day battery life" = all day, therefore 24 hours. However, actual battery life stated in the article is 13 hours.
The all day battery would only be true if we include 8 hours of sleep and the remaining 3 hours used for other activities such as eating, shower, toilet and other mundane stuff. =)

If you spend more than 10 hours in front of an unplugged computer, it's an all day. I don't think you spend the whole 24 hours a day in front of an unplugged computer, do you? It's a whole day of usage, don't be an ***.

You suggest an "All day, and night!" battery life. Or an Alaska day in the summer. =) Daytime hours where I'm at run from sunrise to sunset, 6:00 AM - 7:30 PM. Even so, 13 hours seems incredible since I get about 3 hours on my laptop. So I'd like to know how they're measuring that life.

Back